SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 01-30-2004, 07:59 PM
Sage Icon

Usbuirt Help!?

Am I missing something in my configuration?

I just bought a USBUIRT to replace my working Actisys due to a server upgrade and lack of serial ports.

I had thought that it was pretty much plug and play with v2. I have set obvious settings and configured the tuner to use the USBUIRT. Yet I cannot get it to relay anything to my Dish 3900 IRD.

If im not using it as a receiver and just want its transciever functionality do I need to do anything more than use the default Dishreceiver templates???

Thx in advance,

I.

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:48 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm not convinced that the built-in USB-UIRT control works in v2. I tried it, found the same thing you did, and went back to using Girder to control the USB-UIRT, which gives me more freedom anyway.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:17 PM
Sage Icon

Ugh...So my question is this..If I use the Actisys(which I no longer have room for it in my system) It will relay already working ir codes to my 3900, it works.

I would think that I could of used the USBUIRT to do the same. But this does not seem to work. This machine that the USBUIRT is on does not need any remote functionality because its my server ..I do all tv viewing from clients (which have remotes on them)....

Am I missing something here? Pleeeeaaassseee dont tell me I waisted $50 on this thing and now need to go buy a $50 serial card?!!??!

"Full USBUIRT Support" is still ringing in my sore ears...

I.

Quote:
Originally posted by salsbst
I'm not convinced that the built-in USB-UIRT control works in v2. I tried it, found the same thing you did, and went back to using Girder to control the USB-UIRT, which gives me more freedom anyway.

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:40 PM

Have you tried setting up the USB-UIRT in 1.4.10 and then updating to the new beta. My USB-UIRT still does it's job. It was taught back in 1.4.10 for send and recieve. I know the previous beta had an issue with programing IR devices in Sage2. I haven't tried the IR setup in this new beta since I don't want to mess it up and need to restart Sage and restore from my backed up config files. I have several shows scheduled right now but I'll try teaching from inside of the Sage2 beta later on, if you still have an issue.

As for my setup 1.4.10 setup of the USB-UIRT I followed all the instuctions in the Hardware support thread. That included downloading the USB-UIRT support files and creating my own file for IR transmission.

I know this isn't a fix for your issue but it might be a workaround.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:04 PM

OK I just checked the IR files(SageTV\Common\RemoteCodes) and they are all still old files. So from that I'm concluding that on my system at least, the Sage2 beta did not install any new files for the USB-UIRT. And since the Actisys uses a different file format than the USB-UIRT none of these files will work.

So long story short you need to teach Sage the IR codes your cable/sat remote uses. I still have yet to test if the IR programming in 2.0.11 works yet, but if it doesn't just drop back to 1.4.10 teach there and update. Also sine the IR files weren't updated I'm wondering if the 2.0.11 install even comes with the neccesary support files for USB-UIRT transmision. So to be safe I'd go to this thread and get the neccessary files. It also has relavent setup instructions for 1.4.10.

Last edited by justme; 01-31-2004 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:07 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm confused... what does a $50 serial card have to do with anything?
Old 01-31-2004, 02:31 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to ErsatzTom
For his Actisys. Said he doesn't have room for it, by which I assume he means no free serial ports, hence the need for a serial card.

t
Old 01-31-2004, 03:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Didn't realize actisys was serial. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:59 PM
Sage Icon

yep

Quote:
Originally posted by ErsatzTom
For his Actisys. Said he doesn't have room for it, by which I assume he means no free serial ports, hence the need for a serial card.

t

My sage rigs:
Old 02-01-2004, 08:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

After more hours than I care to recount, I have a single usbuirt running 2 Dish 301 receivers as well as my remote for Sage control. I will be starting another post about running 2 receivers.

1- Start with a template. I searched around for a starting place and found a post that describes using codes from remotecentral.com. Never got any of that to work but it got me started down the right road. I have attached an .ir file that works for a Dish 301 receiver on remote address 1. I think all Dish boxes use the same remote codes. You can use this for a template. I also have a working address 2 file if you want it.

2- Learn a consistant, reliable method for teaching codes. Forget about adding a new device, start with the template device. Complete the setup and then go back and edit the ir device. Using the mouse and keyboard, get to the re-program menu. The remote needs to be a couple inches away from the usbuirt. Scroll to the first digit and hit enter. The 'press the key on the remote' message pops up at the top of the screen. Wait 2 seconds, then press the remote digit and hold it for about 2 seconds and release it. The instant you release it, you should get the success message. If you don't, press again for 2 seconds. If it still doesn't work, press, tap, stand on your head until the unsuccessful message appears, about 15 seconds, click ok and start again.

I found that tap tap hold, hold tap tap, pressing the remote key before clicking the digit in sage, and other variations didn't work reliably for me. It seemed that the magic key is to wait a couple of seconds before pressing the remote digit. Patience is a requirement.

3- I then discovered that when I tested a code in sage, I needed to click the digit twice before the receiver would see it. I found the following in the properties file:
irtune_repeat_factor=2
Change the value to 4

I set a couple of programs to record at 6am. I just watched sage change the channel on each box in turn and start recording both. This is a major win for me.
Attached Files
File Type: txt u1irt1_.ir.txt (1.9 KB, 322 views)
Old 02-01-2004, 09:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Looking forward to hearing about how you a running two set top boxes from one USB-UIRT. Hope it works for a Motorola cable box as well.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Sage Icon

THANK YOU!!! This ir file worked for me

I.

Quote:
Originally posted by glbrown
After more hours than I care to recount, I have a single usbuirt running 2 Dish 301 receivers as well as my remote for Sage control. I will be starting another post about running 2 receivers.

1- Start with a template. I searched around for a starting place and found a post that describes using codes from remotecentral.com. Never got any of that to work but it got me started down the right road. I have attached an .ir file that works for a Dish 301 receiver on remote address 1. I think all Dish boxes use the same remote codes. You can use this for a template. I also have a working address 2 file if you want it.

2- Learn a consistant, reliable method for teaching codes. Forget about adding a new device, start with the template device. Complete the setup and then go back and edit the ir device. Using the mouse and keyboard, get to the re-program menu. The remote needs to be a couple inches away from the usbuirt. Scroll to the first digit and hit enter. The 'press the key on the remote' message pops up at the top of the screen. Wait 2 seconds, then press the remote digit and hold it for about 2 seconds and release it. The instant you release it, you should get the success message. If you don't, press again for 2 seconds. If it still doesn't work, press, tap, stand on your head until the unsuccessful message appears, about 15 seconds, click ok and start again.

I found that tap tap hold, hold tap tap, pressing the remote key before clicking the digit in sage, and other variations didn't work reliably for me. It seemed that the magic key is to wait a couple of seconds before pressing the remote digit. Patience is a requirement.

3- I then discovered that when I tested a code in sage, I needed to click the digit twice before the receiver would see it. I found the following in the properties file:
irtune_repeat_factor=2
Change the value to 4

I set a couple of programs to record at 6am. I just watched sage change the channel on each box in turn and start recording both. This is a major win for me.

My sage rigs:
Old 02-02-2004, 08:46 PM
Sage Icon

errr..double post..

My sage rigs:
Old 02-24-2004, 09:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

glbrown,

Thanks for your informative post. I'm going to try your IR file out tonight. I have a Bell ExpressVu 3100 which is the same (I think) as the Dish 301.

One thing I noticed while troubleshooting last night concerns me. When the USBUIRT detects an IR signal, the red light flashes. I have an IR keyboard that I use with the Sage PC and whenever I use it, the light on the USBUIRT flashes. No big deal. However, when I use my Bell remote, it will not flash. I then tried to use my old Universal remote. When using the 3100's codes, the light would not flash. When using the stereo or TV's codes, the light did flash. Are there two different frequencies being used by these devices? Will the USBUIRT not pick-up the 301/3100 frequencies?

If this is the case, how will I program my USBUIRT? Will I have to manually provide the correct codes vs. using learning features? Will my USBUIRT still be able to transmit to the 301/3100?

Thanks,
Peter L.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

plawlor-

I use an rf keyboard so I don't have that issue. I have, however, noticed that the uirt will flash on occasion for no apparent reason at all. My guess is stray ir signals in the room although I haven't tracked it down. Mygoal was to get rid of the need for a keyboard and I have been 100% successful.

There are two separate ir code issues you need to deal with.

1- Dish Device Codes
The supplied files should solve this so you don't need to go through what I went through to create them unless you need a different remote address. They were created with the original Dish remotes through the uirt. Just select the proper device in the setup wizard. Go through the test dialog to make sure that the dish boxes can see the uirt and the channel numbers transmit correctly. You will need to hook the dish box up to a tv while you are doing this.

2- Sage Remote
I played with several universal remotes and settled on a cheap Philips from WalMart because it had separate transport and navigation sections and a learning function. I also control a Koss receiver with it so I needed a learning function.

Since you are teaching sage from this remote, you need to first choose a remote code that supports the buttons you intend to use on the remote. I am using a Sony 801 code to program the Philips remote and I am sure there are other codes you can use. A lot of the codes don't support all of the buttons on the remote. You can tell when you are programming sage that multiple buttons either transmit the same ir or no ir at all. So step-by-step:

1- Program your universal remote per the mfg instructions. The Sony 801 should work.
2- In Sage 1.4, teach sage the buttons on your remote. If sage starts re-assigning buttons, go back to step one and choose a different code.
3- Exit 1.4 and save the rc_commands section in properties.
4- Paste the above in the 2.0 properties.

Start 2.0 and you should be good to go.