SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Exclamation AMD cpu & a Windows timing bug affects SageTV

There is an issue with AMD cpu drivers that could cause a Windows timing bug, which affects SageTV's performance.

If you have this issue, symptoms can include slow, jerky animations and just a general slight slowdown in performance.

For more information, see this MS Knowledgebase article:
Programs that use the QueryPerformanceCounter function may perform poorly

AMD has a driver update, which can be downloaded here:
AMD cpu driver update

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:07 AM
Sage Fanatic

I just installed this on my server and it really does make a difference.

The animations are definately a lot smoother.

Cheers
Old 02-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Can you post AMD driver versions and dates that have the issue and the fix please?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Sage Icon

I think CnQ is newer tech than I have, but it might not hurt to install the patch anyway. I always have the morning diff backup to fall back to if it screws things up.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Just a word of caution. I don't konw much about this driver update but figured it was a necessary update. Last night, I installed it as well as a new version of evilpenguin's Video Tools and manged to BSOD my server. I could very easily have an issue that I've never pushed my system hard enough to see before, but I've personally rolled this update back for more testing.

I wasn't able to reproduce the BSOD with a few stress test last night, but I just wanted to say. Don't be lazy like me, I'd suggest you do a few test after installing this and insure your system is still stable.

This is worth repeating:
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the driver update. I'm saying I had an issue that could be related. So be sure you test yours for stability.

Other:
Mitsubishi 65" DLP
5.1 Speakers on a Kenwood Receiver - Digital SPDIF
Harmony 1000
Old 02-13-2008, 09:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Always test any updsates you do and have a rollback plan. That being said I updated my AMD 64 x 2 5200+ Biostar TF7050 MF2 motherboard and had no issues. I have cool n quiet enabled in my BIOS. Animations seem smoother.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Sage Icon

Image thy disk before doing the update!
Old 02-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Might be worth mentioning the update is for dual core processors, and those who run an older single core, shouldn't really need this.

My MSI mb update utility keeps asking me if I want to install their version of the AMD CPU Update, however since I run a 3200+ single core, I won't dare let MSI install it No problems with Sage other than a bit of lag when going through the guide while a video is playing (but thats just because im on the ragged edge of cpu speed).
Old 02-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

That is funny this was posted. We have are in the process of rolling this patch out to thousands of AMD powered servers at work.

This problem not only affects Windows. It also causes problems on Linux, Sun Solaris and VMware ESX server.

It can cause all kinds of things. One of the most commonly seen side-effects of this is when you ping another server (or localhost) the ping command returns either a negative ping time or a very long ping time. When in actuality it had a regular ping time.

This bug also causes havoc on things like databases (in my experience Microsoft SQL Server).

So for anyone that might have an AMD powered workstation, server or laptop you might want to take a look at AMD's web site to see if your machine if effected.

Just thought everyone should know how bad this problem could be.

Flash
Old 02-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash69 View Post
That is funny this was posted. We have are in the process of rolling this patch out to thousands of AMD powered servers at work.

This problem not only affects Windows. It also causes problems on Linux, Sun Solaris and VMware ESX server.

It can cause all kinds of things. One of the most commonly seen side-effects of this is when you ping another server (or localhost) the ping command returns either a negative ping time or a very long ping time. When in actuality it had a regular ping time.

This bug also causes havoc on things like databases (in my experience Microsoft SQL Server).

So for anyone that might have an AMD powered workstation, server or laptop you might want to take a look at AMD's web site to see if your machine if effected.

Just thought everyone should know how bad this problem could be.

Flash

negative ping time

Dam, I was searching this issue about 2 months ago pulling my hair out. this pissed me off. It caused me a lot of grief for me and caused a lot of network related issues.

thanks for the tip.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofreak75 View Post
negative ping time

Dam, I was searching this issue about 2 months ago pulling my hair out. this pissed me off. It caused me a lot of grief for me and caused a lot of network related issues.

thanks for the tip.
Yep - it can cause network problems also. We found this problem about 10 months ago at my last employer.

I wanted to elaborate on this because I know there are other I/T folks here that do not know about this problem. From all the information I have seen the O/S manufaturers have addressed it in newer versions of their O/S. For example this does not effect Windows Server 2008 (Longhorn) or ESX 3.x and above.

For as big as this problem is; no-one has made a big deal to get the word out.

Flash
Old 02-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Don't buy AMD for your servers. :/

Having said that, please elaborate -- I would like to upgrade my network to be able to communicate backward in time and this sounds like the trick...!
Lottery winnings, here I come!

Cory
Old 02-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash69 View Post
Do you have a link to a place on AMD's site that talks about this regarding which cpus are affected?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Andy - I looked but I could not find the exact link. For work we found this HP link.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ctID=c01075682

As far as the internet goes it seems it will cause problems on all AMD multi-core procs.

Search google with "AMD TSC" and you will find some more information.

Hope this helps.

Flash
Old 02-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

Well, for me, I have two AMD machines, one is duelcore, the other single.

The duelcore I use for my gaming rig, and its OC'd out the wazoo. I MUST run the AMD CPU Fix (see below quote), to make most games play nicely with the duelcore (those that are not written for dualcore). Those that don't I have to manually adjust their affinity after launch to core0 and then all stuttering/jitter clears up. I also run WinLauncherXP.exe which automates some of the affinity settings.

The single core is my HTPC with sagetv, and I don't see any stutter or hiccups (other than a minor one due to lack of processing power). I have not installed the AMD fix or done any other adjustments in regards to the cpu.

I also found this snippet in my drivers storage folder regarding dual core and the hotfix (might be relavant, may not be?):

Quote:
Hey, i decided to make this thread since i was once in the need of some answers i had as to why my amd x2 was having problems with gaming, speed ups slow downs, sound familiar?....well im going to show you step by step how to install the drivers, hotfix, and several other things that need to be done. People often say that the amd drivers are used for Cool and Quiet only, that is not true, i speak from expierience as i have had the amd X2 cpu's since the first week of launch and have played around with them for 5 months already. Just follow these steps to get the best stability and performance from your amd x2 cpu.

PLEASE BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST!!

1 - Install the amd drivers, download it from here... http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._13118,00.html

2 - read this website and downlaod the hotfix....READ here http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256 and http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-34FB8A0FCE3B ........Download here http://www.amdzone.com/files/WinXPdualcorehotfix.exe

3 - Edit your registry to enable the HOTFIX, follow these steps.
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Right-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager, point to New, and then click Key.
3. Type Throttle for the new key name.
4. Right-click Throttle, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
5. Type PerfEnablePackageIdle for the value name.
6. Right-click PerfEnablePackageIdle, and then click Modify.
7. In the Edit DWORD Value box, type 1. In the Value data box, make sure that Hexadecimal is selected, and then click OK.
8. Quit Registry Editor.

4 - Make sure your BOOT.ini has this command in it, /usepmtimer to check, right click on My Computer go to properties, click on the ADVANCE tab, then under startup and recovery click on settings, then click on EDIT....make sure your boot.ini looks like this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

Finally your done, if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me, hopefully this will be a help to alot of people.

OK, since some people switch to single core after having issues with dual core, here is a simple way to remove the Hotfix and drivers.

1 - Uninstall the Hotfix, go into ad/remove programs, click on show updates and remove update numbered KB896256

2 - Reverse the registry entry.

3 - Uninstall the AMD drivers.

4 - Go into your boot.ini and remove /usepmtimer, and your done.

Last edited by IncredibleHat; 02-23-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Sage Fanatic

This link is broken...

2 - read this website and downlaod the hotfix....READ here http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256 ........Download here http://www.amdzone.com/files/WinXPdualcorehotfix.exe

Is it the same thing as this?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-34FB8A0FCE3B
Old 02-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yes. Same thing, MS changed their link layout... I was just pasting from what I had and sorry, didn't check to see if the links were ok still. My bad. From the looks of it, its hard to say still, if the AMD CPU fix, is the same as the WinXP Dual core amd fix...

This is where DOCUMENTATION WITH DOWNLOADS is helpful *ahem*. AMD's website is lacking a bit on the details about that cpu update. Both of them. All of them... lol.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hi All:

I found that the latest driver direct from AMD...

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...82_871,00.html

Worked Much Better for my 6000+

And they seem to have specific drivers for specific processors...

-Bruce
Server: Intel DH55HC MB, Intel Core i5-661 CPU, 4 GB Corsair PC3 10666 RAM, 2 Ceton InfiniTV 4s (Comcast), RocketRAID 2740 16PORT SAS 6.0Gb Controller, 2.56TB TV Storage (4 WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA 6.0Gb Drives), 8.5TB Movie Storage, Norco 4220 Case, Corsair HX750 PS, W7 Professional (Windows Media Center), TunerSalad Foot Long, My Channel Logos, & MYMovies.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

This bug affects ALL (AMD and Intel) multi-core processors on XP.

AMD has a driver fix:http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...30_182,00.html

Intel / AMD can be also be fixed with the Microsoft KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256
Intel Xeon L? 32Gb
CetonTV cable card /FIOS
Old 04-10-2008, 12:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

What about on Windows Vista or Server 2003?