SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Sage Fanatic

Guide on how to enable Closed Caption in Placeshifter

Here how you enable Closed Caption on Placeshifter.

Since SageTV uses mplayer for playback on Placeshifter so it simple as adding a font and enabling the closed caption in mplayer config.

Download the attached file placeshifter_cc.zip

Unzip placeshifter_cc.zip into the /SageTV/Placeshifter

The mplayer config assumes your Placeshifter folder is at default installation which is C:/Program Files/SageTV/Placeshifter and if you install it in another location then you will need to edit the /SageTV/Placeshifter/mplayer/config on the line where it says
font="c:/Program Files/SageTV/Placeshifter/mplayer/font/font.desc"
to the location where you installed your Placeshifter at so it can find the font folder.

You can set the postion of the closed caption by changing the line in config which say
subpos=85
anywhere from 0 to 100 the higher the number closer to 100 will move the caption closer to the bottom of the screen.

This will work and display closed captioning for me on mpg that was recorded with Hauppauge PVR 500 using the latest driver but I can't say the same for any other tuner cards so you can only try to find out.

If it does work on different tuner card it will be great if you add a reply to this post letting us know what tuner card it worked for you.

This will only work on static closed caption so scrolling or "live" closed caption will not be displayed however I do have an mplayer that does support scrolling "live" which I got 3 year ago.
I been trying to locate the coder who added the support for scrolling closed captioning into mplayer and not having much luck. I already tried using my mplayer binary in place of Placeshifter's and it won't work 8-(

I will contact the SageTV developer to see if they can take my binary and look at it to see if they can add the scrolling support into their Placeshifter mplayer.

Enjoy the CC on Placeshifter.
Bill
Attached Files
File Type: zip placeshifter_cc.zip (58.1 KB, 925 views)