SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:50 PM

unable to connect with wireless media extender

I sure would appreciate some help. I am a new licensed user of sagetv with placshifter and a media extender and I am having a problem getting the wireless media extender to work. I am going to include everything that could possibly be an issue and I apologize for including a bunch of stuff that is probably not related to the problem.

I am using sagetv version 6.0.19. I have registered two SageTV Media Extender License Keys and everthing is working properly with regard to these programs—sagetv is fine and I am able to use the placeshifter on my laptop to connect to sagetv both over my LAN and the internet. I don't know if I'm using placeshifter 6.0.19 or 6.1.35 and I don't know how to determine which it is.

With regard to the media extender, I have enabled sagetv server and enabled placeshifter and media extender in the advance settings of sage. I have connected the media extender correctly to my tv and the setup of the media extender appears on the tv screen to have worked properly. When I power up the media extender, what I see depends on how long it's been unpowered.

What I first see after unplugging the MVP FOR ABOUT 10 SECONDS and plugging it back in is the following:

The Hauppauge MEDIAMVP screen appears and at the bottom is says “loading application...”. A couple of seconds later, this is replaced with “Staring Application...” and “Rev. 2.0.6 and Application 1.1.50.0” appears in the middle of the screen. Then it just sits there. After about four minutes, “Checking ethernet connectivity” appears at the bottom of the screen and then that is replaced with “loading application...” and “starting application “ as described above. This will continue indefinitely.

Note: I don't know if it is significant that the screen says “checking ETHERNET connection”--I am attempting to connect via a WIRELESS network.

What I see if I unplug the Mediamvp FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES and then plug it back in the following sequence of messages appears on the tv screen:

checking ethernet activity
loading application
starting application
checking network status
configuring wireless devices
press OK within 3 seconds to enter setup
loading application

After this the screen goes blank and nothing happens no matter how long I wait.
If I go into the settings showing up for the media extender they are as follows:

MAC address: 00:0d:fe:0c:40:d3
IP address: 129.168.1.9
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.1.1

(NOTE: THE COMPUTER I AM USING AS A SAGETV SERVER IS NAMED “STUDIO”.)

STUDIO IP address: 192.168.1.4
Prefered: 0

For the media extender:
flash version: 1.1.50
system: 1.1.50

Thanks,

Lee
Old 03-06-2007, 06:39 AM
Sage Icon

You sure you have a good wireless signal in that location?
Are you sure you don't have the Hauppauge software installed on your network?

Can you wire it to your router and see if it works? That would tell you if it's a wireless problem or not...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 03-06-2007, 11:15 AM

That's a good idea--I'll move things around and hook the media extender to a tv via ethernet and see if it works (though I definitely have a good wireless signal in that room). I do NOT have the Hauppauge software loaded--just the sage.

Thanks,

Lee
Old 03-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Sage Icon

First scenario you should test is Hauppauge software+wired MVP, then Sage+wired MVP, and then Sage+wireless MVP.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Sage Icon

Seeing as he already has Sage installed, I guess I'd not complicate things with Hauppauge unless Sage+Wired fails...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 04-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Sage User

Identical symptoms

I just got my MVP yesterday and am experiencing absolutely identical symptoms.

Wired + MVP software - failed
Wired without MVP - failed
Wireless + MVP software - failed
Wireless without MVP software - failed

Absolutely nothing that I do (with a virtually identical setup no less) gets me into Sage.

Also kind of strange...I order the wireless extender directly from Sage expecting a Sage branded MVP, but it says Hauppage instead. They also changed the pictures on the website right after I ordered....this wouldn't have any effect would it?

Thanks!

Darin
Old 04-21-2007, 05:26 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Have they ironed all the wireless problems out yet? I'm going to buy one, and it looks like I should buy the regular ethernet version...

-Robert
Old 04-21-2007, 05:44 AM
Sage User

i have a wireless MVP, and could not be happier with it. it works great, and my fiance loves it too. we have it in the bedroom and can watch all of the shows on it, no stuttering. the only thing i needed was a new wireless router, because i still had 802.11b.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Sage User

update

Ok - a slight update on the issue before. When I said that my wireless MVP failed when I hooked it up via a cable I was wrong. I simply had not waited long enough to get back into the configuration and set the connection type to "wired". When I did that it gave me an error "Failed to Load GUI server", but after a reboot worked just fine.

I STILL can't get it to work wirelessly, however. No question that I'm making a connection to my access point....it sees the Sage Server during setup and gets an IP address from the DHCP server. Then...

"Starting Application" - forever and ever.

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. I need this to work wirelessly as I'm out of ports and would have just saved myself $50 and bought the wired MVP otherwise.

Thanks!

Darin

Last edited by db981; 04-22-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Sage Icon

Do you have any other wireless devices? What's the signal strength? What about encryption?
Old 04-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Sage User

All good questions - thanks.

1. One wireless laptop. Access point is broadcasting on chanel 6 (and I do have a few other people broadcasting on that chanel nearby.) Access point is also running Mixed mode (which Sage support suggested and I was already doing.)
2. WEP encryption enabled. I will try without but doubt that it's the problem. I'm clearly making good contact with the access point. The MVP setup sees the Sage Server and gets a valid IP address from the DHCP server. It also shows up in the DHCP table available from my router.
3. Turned off MAC address filtering at the suggestion of Sage support. Since I'm making a good connection (with very reasonable signal strength, btw). I didn't think would change anything and in fact it didn't.

Also, Windows firewall is disabled.

Other things that I've tried:
1. Installed Hauppage MediaMVP server. Turned off Sage server. Wired or wireless both, the MVP makes a connection and shows the Hauppage interface. Both wired and wireless it also gives a MediaMVP Gui error on my computer when I actually try to DO anything like move the cursor, but at least it connects and I don't see any difference between wired and wireless as I do when trying to connect to Sage. (Sage works just fine wired.)

The plot thickens....
Old 04-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Sage Icon

Are you running the latest Sage version?
Old 04-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

For what it is worth, I am been trying to help abuddy out with his wireless MVP for the last two months. It works fine in a wired connection. It is 10 feet from the router and gets four bars - not a signal strength problem. What I found is that I could get it to connect wireless if I turn off all security measures. If I turn any of them on ... no dice. To make matters worse, with all security features turned off, with the Sage itnerface working okay, playback is aboslutely horrible with lots of stutter. I have traded a nuimber of e-mails with the support desk. George is great, but the wireless MVP sucks.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Sage Icon

Have you tried a wireless bridge? If that works ok, it's the MVP - if not, I'd suspect the network. Signal strength alone doesn't mean much. My wMVP streams DVD standard across the house on two bars sometimes...

Last edited by flavius; 04-23-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Sage User

Angry Still nothing....

Thanks again for the good questions.

I just bought Sage this weekend so I think that at least have a very recent version. How do I check for the exact version number?

Alas, I don't own a wireless bridge so this test is impossible. Also not thrilled, of course, about spending more money to test something that should be working as is.

Just to see what would happen, I also removed all security from my wireless access point (no MAC address filter and no WEP)....doesn't make me happy to do so but I did it and......nothing. Still says "Starting Application" and just sticks there.

I even tried moving the access point right next to the MVP via a very long ethernet cable (which I can't use to wire the MVP permanently because it winds all throughout the house....down hallways and such) just to rule out signal strength as an issue. Since it's making a good connection to the access point already I'm inclined to believe that that's not the problem and in fact moving the WAP did nothing. No change in behavior at all.

Darin

Last edited by db981; 04-23-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Sage Icon

Are you running the stock stv? Goto *Setup->Help->System Information*
Old 04-24-2007, 05:56 AM
Sage Expert

Also,

Just to eliminate any other loose ends, make sure you are running a relatively recent version of java. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but it seems odd that the Hauppauge software will work, but Sage won't.

Stu
Old 04-24-2007, 08:55 AM
Sage User

Got it....thanks. Lots of good info there - can't believe that I haven't gone to that screen yet!

Turns out I was running Sage 6.1.8 so I upgraded to 6.1.9.135 - current as of today. No change. I go through the setup, it finds the server by name, gest an IP address, "Contacting Servers", "Starting Applications", the screen flashes like it's about to display Sage then....black. Reboot and "Starting Application" forever and ever.

Haven't manually changed the STV yet so it should be default - SageTV3.xml (Version 6.1.9.0 April 12, 2007)

Java 1.6.0_01 which I confirmed is the absolute latest version.

Also of Java interest if this is perhaps relavent?
Java classes loaded at startup: None
Java classes loaded at startup for the SageTV service: None

MVP version 2.06, Application version 1.1.50.0

Even checked my DirectX version and am on 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) which according to the manual should be enough (requires anything 9 or newer)

Would it matter that during setup it finds my computer by name and IP address, but under the "Preferred Server" column it has a "0"? I really don't know what that means.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Darin
Old 04-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Sage Expert

Here's a pretty lengthy thread about static IP's and Sage and MVP. Ultimately the OP sent the device back and got another one.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...ireless+static

Stu
Old 04-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Wink

I got the wireless with regular MediaMVP solved and some other tweaks you can find that here on SAGETV..

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...3&postcount=29