SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-14-2003, 04:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

What's the BEST remote for use with SageTV ?

What is the BEST remote for use with SageTV ? By BEST I mean one that has the maximum number of buttons that closely relate to each individual function of SageTV (i.e. Home, Guide, TV, Full Screen, Ch Up/Down, Skip Fwd/Bkwd, Time Scroll etc. ... i.e. all commands listed on page 10-11 of the user manual)

I was planning on using ATI Remote Wonder, but there doesn't seem to be appropriate buttons for many of the above functions (i.e. Home, Time Scroll, Favorite, Don't Like etc.). Sure I can map some arbitrary button (sa button 'E') to "Home" ... but that is not intuitive at all. I would really like a remote control that so closely matches the SageTV functions, that I will have to minimum number of arbitrary mappings like that.

What is most people using as the remote for SageTV ?
Old 11-14-2003, 04:15 PM
Sage Icon

Re: What's the BEST remote for use with SageTV ?

Good luck. I personally think the Remote Wonder IS the best fit... At least until I can get a Remote Wonder II...

Although I also use a Streamzap remote on one machine. Same issue though, you have to use buttons labelled for other functions (or the unlabeled colored buttons on bottom) for SageTV functions...

Jason

Quote:
Originally posted by sudipto
What is the BEST remote for use with SageTV ? By BEST I mean one that has the maximum number of buttons that closely relate to each individual function of SageTV (i.e. Home, Guide, TV, Full Screen, Ch Up/Down, Skip Fwd/Bkwd, Time Scroll etc. ... i.e. all commands listed on page 10-11 of the user manual)

I was planning on using ATI Remote Wonder, but there doesn't seem to be appropriate buttons for many of the above functions (i.e. Home, Time Scroll, Favorite, Don't Like etc.). Sure I can map some arbitrary button (sa button 'E') to "Home" ... but that is not intuitive at all. I would really like a remote control that so closely matches the SageTV functions, that I will have to minimum number of arbitrary mappings like that.

What is most people using as the remote for SageTV ?

Last edited by JasonJoel; 11-14-2003 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the quick reply, Jason !

Yes, based on everything I have seen so far, Remote Wonder seems to be the closes match. I'd be curious to know how you have mapped your buttons.

I have the StreamZap as well as the IRMan, so I can possibly use a Universal remote with IRMan ... that's why I was looking to see if anyone knew about any universal remote that would have buttons closely matching SageTV functions.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:48 PM
Sage Icon

I guess you could always get something like a PDA-like remote a la the Pronto, and make it look however you want on the screen. Kind of expensive though.

On my remote wonder, I use the SageTV Remote Wonder plugin (available on the hardware forum). I'll double check my settings on them later. I know I put FF #2/RW #2 on buttons E&F though.

Jason

Quote:
Originally posted by sudipto
Thanks for the quick reply, Jason !

Yes, based on everything I have seen so far, Remote Wonder seems to be the closes match. I'd be curious to know how you have mapped your buttons.

I have the StreamZap as well as the IRMan, so I can possibly use a Universal remote with IRMan ... that's why I was looking to see if anyone knew about any universal remote that would have buttons closely matching SageTV functions.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

The MCE remote available from Newegg is perfect for Sage. It has Dedicated Live TV and Guide buttons, channel up/down, FF/RW etc. Many buttons on the remote work out of the box if you have WinXP Pro service pack1 or Windows Media center edition. Other buttons can be easily mapped to SageTV using Girder. You can still use the remote with other versions of Windows, but you would have to have a separate IR receiver (such as the USB-UIRT) and use Girder to map all of the buttons.

Good Luck,
Andrew
Old 11-14-2003, 07:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Here is a picture of the MCE remote from Newegg. The remote that I received does not, however, say Microsoft on it.

Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mce remote.jpg (20.7 KB, 4627 views)
Old 11-15-2003, 05:23 AM

A Tivo remote also works great running thru a USB-UIRT. I just set up my Tivo and remote to think I had two Tivo's. Now I just slide a switch on my Tivo remote to go from Sage control to Tivo control.

PS:Obviously this won't work if you actually do have two Tivo's.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Check out the Sony RM-AV3000. It's a wonderful remote that has a vast array of soft buttons, accompanied by a good selection of hard buttons.

http://www.remotecentral.com/av3000/
Old 11-17-2003, 11:00 AM
SageTV Co-Founder

I love my Home Theater Master MX-500. I use it with SageTV via the IRMan.

http://www.universal-remote.com/htm/mx500/index.html
Old 11-17-2003, 02:10 PM
Sage Icon

I second the Home Theater Master line of remotes! I love my MX-700. Love love love....got rid of all, and I do mean ALL of my other remotes. (when I say got rid of I mean I put them all in a safe place...I wouldn't get crazy and throw them all away or anything like that)
Old 11-19-2003, 10:19 AM
Sage User

Andrew, that MCE remote control...on Newegg they say that it only works with XP Media Center, Is that true? Or are does sage recognize the usb receiver and allow you to map all of the commands?
Old 11-19-2003, 12:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

For me, the Pronto TSU-2000 was worth the investment. Since then, the cheaper Pronto Neo (which has more physical buttons) may be a better alternative... I love the flexibility of the Pronto.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by mrseidler
Andrew, that MCE remote control...on Newegg they say that it only works with XP Media Center, Is that true? Or are does sage recognize the usb receiver and allow you to map all of the commands?
The remote itself works with any transceiver. I use it with a USB-UIRT. There is a plugin for SageTV that enables full use of the USB-UIRT, or you can use it through Girder (which is what I do).

There is a Girder plugin for the transceiver that ships with the remote, although there is no direct support for it in SageTV.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by mrseidler
The remote comes with it's own IR receiver that works with XP Media Center. It also works with XP Pro with service pack 1 installed (which is what I am running). With either of these OSs, many commands work out of the box (volume, all of the number keys, the arrow keys, enter, some of the transport keys). The keys that don't run out of the box can be used to drive Girder using a plugin specific to this remote. The green windows key on the remote is set out of the box to simulate the windows key on a keyboard, which normally brings up the start menu. I have mine remapped to return to myHTPC using a utility called hotkeyboard.

If anyone needs it, I can post my Girder file that uses the MCE remote to drive SageTV, Zoomplayer, and myHTPC.

If you don't have either of those operating systems, you can still use the remote but the included IR receiver will not work. You would then need another receiver, such as the USB-UIRT. You would also have to use the USB-UIRT SageTV plugin or Girder.

Andrew
Old 11-19-2003, 07:52 PM
Sage User

I'm running XP Pro SP1, so it sounds like I can manuever around right out of the box with that thing. Does it control Windows Media Player too? I like the XP MCE remote control, though I guess I really don't need anymore remotes around the house. Maybe the IRman or USB-UIRT with one of my existing remotes is a better way to go to eliminate clutter.

I appreciate the offer on the GML files but I just can't seem to climb the girder learning curve.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

The remote will control Windows Media PLayer out of the box.

Unfortunately, without girder you won't be able to make use of all the buttons. However, this remote is pretty simple to use with Girder. Just install Girder and the MCE remote plugin. There are exported groups made to control SageTV. All you need to do is select the SageTV command, click learn, and then press the appropriate button on the remote.

Andrew
Old 11-20-2003, 07:20 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Get an Airboard IR keyboard. It has its own IR receiver that works from the PS2 ports. Buy a Home Theater Master MX-500 or MX-700 remote and teach it all the keyboard shortcuts from the Airboard. Now you have a remote that can do anything a keyboard can, and an excellent keyboard when needed to boot.

No messing with Girder. No need for IRMan.

-Robert
Old 11-20-2003, 07:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

Actually, that is nearly the exact setup I have. An airboard with a pronto. It's great because you can teach the remote any keyboard command with ease, thereby controlling anything except mouse movement via the remote, in Sage, Windows, anything...
Old 11-20-2003, 06:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Anyone tried the URC-6131 ?

I would love to buy the Pronto or MX500 if I had the money

However, since I don't I have been looking at other cheaper alternatives. I recently came across the following remote, which seems perfect for use with SageTV.

OneForAll URC-6131 PVR Remote

The retail price is $19.99, but it is available in many places for around $10-12.

This has got enough buttons to assign all of the SageTV commands to appropirate individual button, and still have a few to spare.

I already have an IRMan, which, as I understand is fully supported by SageTV. So if I can set this remote up for use with Girder, with a little bit of work this could be my best solution ... until someone gives me a Pronto as a gift (hint for wife if she is looking)

Anyone here tried this remote with SageTV ? I hope this works with IRMan and Girder.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:56 PM
Sage User

i agree with valnar....
i too have a wireless infrared keyboard.
and a Sony RM-AV2100 remote which i bought on ebay over a year ago for 99 bucks.
go into sagetv client settings and click on the command tab.
then assign keyboard shortcuts to all the functions of sage. then just use your "learning" remote controller and input all the keyboard shortcuts into your remote.
just finished setting up my remote last night!
works great.
even taught my remote to turn on my pc (pc can boot from keyboard activity)