SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-12-2006, 01:16 AM
Sage User

Send a message via ICQ to klunde Send a message via AIM to klunde Send a message via MSN to klunde Send a message via Yahoo to klunde
Auto delete with timed recordings

Hi

Will SageTV (v5.0.4) auto-delete the oldest recordings when the disk grows full when I'm only using Timed recording (recurs daily)?

If yes, when and how will SageTV delete files?

My recorder just went full this night and I thought that SageTV would have fixed this by it self by deleting the oldest recordings.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:59 AM
SageTVaholic

no it won't ever delete any files with 'manual recording' status (red border) -- this includes watched timed recordings (<opus4>manual pages 22 and 229</opus4>)
Old 06-12-2006, 05:02 AM
Sage User

Send a message via ICQ to klunde Send a message via AIM to klunde Send a message via MSN to klunde Send a message via Yahoo to klunde
OK, thanks for the info. (And there is no trigger I can enable either I suppose?)
Old 06-12-2006, 06:21 AM
SageTVaholic

no specific trigger, but if you remove manual recording status from the recorded files, they will auto-delete when space is required (but maybe sooner, never tried it myself), watched files before unwatched
Old 06-13-2006, 01:35 AM
Sage User

How can I remove (edited) the manual recording status?

Last edited by klunde; 06-13-2006 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunde
How can I remote the manual recording status?
I think you meant to say "remove" and not remote

To remove the manual recording status, highlight the show you want to change and type "ctrl - T" or press the "record" button on your remote control, just as you would in the guide to set up a show to record...

One way to think about it is like some tv remote controls where one button turns the tv on and that same button turns it off too, that's the way "ctrl - T" or pressing the "record" button on your sage remote works
Future plans: 1 more HVR2250, 1 Ceton CC 4-way tuner, 10TB diskspace
Issues: 1 PVR250 not working, system board?
Old 06-13-2006, 02:01 AM
Sage User

Will SageTV remember this for Timed Recordings that recurs daily? Also after an eventual Restart of the system? I have a computer configured with 120 one hour long recording schedules that recurs on a daily basis.

Also, its good to know that I use the SageTV only for recording not for viewing...

Last edited by klunde; 06-13-2006 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:06 AM
Sage User

Well, now I've tried to press ctrl-T in several different views where I see my recordings, and I never get rid of the red frame.

Think I'll have to stick with my external file-deleter for now.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:03 AM
Sage User

Hi klunde,

For me ,its CTRL Y ,to remove the manual recording status.
But i guess you can define any key you wish for it via : Detailed Setup / Commands / Link Keystroke / Record
Abit AN-AM2HD | AMD5000+ | 2048MB DDR2-800 | ATI-3650 | 3TB Storage | Sage 6.4.8/Meedio 1.41 | XP 32BIT | FireDTV S2 | WinTV-NOVA-S+ | USB-UIRT/MX-500 Remote | Antec Fusion Case | Zalman Reserator 1 V2 | 1GB NIC`s

Last edited by Hades; 06-13-2006 at 03:05 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:23 AM
SageTVaholic

or in the popup when you select a manual recording, select Record options, and it's in there, or when you watch the show through to the end, you should get a popup, asking if you want to delete it now, or when space is needed (if this prompt is turned on in detailed setup/customise/ask to delete recordings at end...)
Old 06-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades
Hi klunde,

For me ,its CTRL Y ,to remove the manual recording status.
But i guess you can define any key you wish for it via : Detailed Setup / Commands / Link Keystroke / Record
DOH! sorry klunde, it is "ctrl - y", I guess it was past my bed time when I answered your question!
Future plans: 1 more HVR2250, 1 Ceton CC 4-way tuner, 10TB diskspace
Issues: 1 PVR250 not working, system board?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:24 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
or in the popup when you select a manual recording, select Record options, and it's in there, or when you watch the show through to the end, you should get a popup, asking if you want to delete it now, or when space is needed (if this prompt is turned on in detailed setup/customise/ask to delete recordings at end...)
Well, as you could read above, I don't use SageTV to view the recordings. Only for recording so that would not be an option for me, besides, manually deleteing 120 recordings a day would be a little to much for me...
Old 06-14-2006, 12:32 AM
Sage User

Also, now I just discovered that pressing ctrl-y to remove the manual status not only removes the status, but it also removes the recording schedule That was not my idea at all. I still want my recordings to happen each day as I have a daily schedule, but I would like to remove the "manual" status since there is nothing manual about these recordings at all. They are automated recordings happening every day.

I must say that to me SageTV is looking more and more like an "almost there" piece of software...
Old 06-14-2006, 02:49 AM
Sage User

Klunde,

How is your EPG currently setup? (do you even have an EPG?)... Im kinda confused by this manual recording need.

Could you please explain how your current sage install schedules recordings please.

Its been a while since i setup my XMLTV import,so maybe im missing the obvious or something
Abit AN-AM2HD | AMD5000+ | 2048MB DDR2-800 | ATI-3650 | 3TB Storage | Sage 6.4.8/Meedio 1.41 | XP 32BIT | FireDTV S2 | WinTV-NOVA-S+ | USB-UIRT/MX-500 Remote | Antec Fusion Case | Zalman Reserator 1 V2 | 1GB NIC`s

Last edited by Hades; 06-14-2006 at 02:55 AM.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:12 AM
Sage User

I have installed 5 tuners (The server actually has 8 though)
-Each tuner has its own EPG lineup
-Each EPG lineup contains only one channel.
-I do not use any program information
-Each channel has 24 one hour long recordings, one for each hour that repeats daily.

The schedule is setup by manually enter the 120 (24hours x 5channels)
Old 06-14-2006, 03:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Also, now I just discovered that pressing ctrl-y to remove the manual status not only removes the status, but it also removes the recording schedule That was not my idea at all.
Ouch Sorry for the bad advice You should report this as a bug to sage...

Manual timed recordings always felt like a bit of an afterthought to me -- Sage is really intended to be used with an electronic program gude, and so probably not many users actually use timed recordings...
Old 06-14-2006, 03:15 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
Ouch Sorry for the bad advice You should report this as a bug to sage...

Manual timed recordings always felt like a bit of an afterthought to me -- Sage is really intended to be used with an electronic program gude, and so probably not many users actually use timed recordings...
I was to use the Sage Recorder, but since it doesn't support the PVR500 I'm in a catch 22...
Old 06-14-2006, 03:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Just a suggestion: you could create a script or something that creates an XMLTV-format file for each of your channels containing your 1-hour long airings, and then use one of the multi-lineup XMLTV-importers to gve yourself a real EPG...

Then you can set up favorites for your scheduling needs, and have the added benefit that if you put a reasonable title/subtitle in the XMLTV, the filename will also have that title/subtitle...

For example (I am guessing you are monitoring security cameras or something):
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<!DOCTYPE tv SYSTEM "xmltv.dtd">
<tv generator-info-name="hand crafted">
  <channel id="camera 1">
    <display-name lang="en">camera 1</display-name>
  </channel>
  <programme 
    start="20060614000000 +0000" 
    stop="20060614010000 +0000" channel="camera 1">
    <title>camera 1</title>
    <sub-title>20060614 0000 GMT</sub-title>
  </programme>
  <programme 
    start="20060614010000 +0000" 
    stop="20060614020000 +0000" channel="camera 1">
    <title>camera 1</title>
    <sub-title>20060614 0100 GMT</sub-title>
  </programme>
</tv>
etc...
You then set up your tuners with each linup using it's respective XMLTV file, and set up favorites for each channel.
Your filenames will then be named:
Code:
camera1-200606140000GMT-23452345-0.mpg
camera1-200606140100GMT-43834243-0.mpg
etc
Old 06-14-2006, 03:39 AM
Sage User

Quote:
I have installed 5 tuners (The server actually has 8 though)
-Each tuner has its own EPG lineup
-Each EPG lineup contains only one channel.
-I do not use any program information
-Each channel has 24 one hour long recordings, one for each hour that repeats daily.

The schedule is setup by manually enter the 120 (24hours x 5channels)
Holy Moly!!
This is thread is now officially well out of my scope of tech know-how.

One last thing though..you mention you use an external file deleter,is it automated in some way..ie deleting files older than xx hours?.
Have you tried using a batch file based upon deleting files older than xx hours?
Old 06-14-2006, 03:42 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades
[One last thing though..you mention you use an external file deleter,is it automated in some way..ie deleting files older than xx hours?.
Have you tried using a batch file based upon deleting files older than xx hours?
I have a batch file that runs once a day and it runs my own File Deleter where I can specify x number of days to keep. (among other variables)