SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Recorder Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Recorder Software Discussion related to the SageTV Recorder application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Recorder should be posted here.

Old 05-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Sage User

SageRecorder and PVR-500

I'll have 2 machines, each with 2 PVR-500s for a total of 4 tuners per machine and another machine running SageTVService.
Will I need 2 instances of SageRecorder running on each network encoder machine or 4?
Does each separate instance have to be installed separately as it's own installation? What about running as a service?
I've just about got all the hardware and I need a bit of help.
What about licenses? Will I need a separate license for each running instance of SageRecorder? Or just each separate network encoder machine?
Thanks, all.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Sage Icon

Unless somethings changed in the last short bit, Sage Recorder doesn't support any of the newer cards (PVR500, or PVR150). To do what you want will require a seperate Sage server license for each machine running a PVR500, with them set up as network encoders.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:18 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001
Unless somethings changed in the last short bit, Sage Recorder doesn't support any of the newer cards (PVR500, or PVR150). To do what you want will require a seperate Sage server license for each machine running a PVR500, with them set up as network encoders.
Newer? The Hauppauge PCI PVR card are some of the most universally supported cards.
If not the PVR-150/500. Then what ones?
What would the best compatible substitute be?
Perhaps MythTV bears more looking into.

Last edited by JimmyM; 05-16-2006 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Sage Recorder is an older product and supports the PVR250/350. It does NOT support the newer cards. The later versions of Sage server support being configured as a Network Encoder. With this change you now have the support of any card that Sage supports to enable it to be a network Encoder. I think this is where future development is heading. Time marches on. I'm not sure there is another product out there that does Network Encoding between the server/client like Sage does.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
Sage Recorder is an older product and supports the PVR250/350. It does NOT support the newer cards. The later versions of Sage server support being configured as a Network Encoder. With this change you now have the support of any card that Sage supports to enable it to be a network Encoder. I think this is where future development is heading. Time marches on. I'm not sure there is another product out there that does Network Encoding between the server/client like Sage does.

Gerry
MythTV does full client server encoding. But that's Linux, and I'm just more familiar with Windows. I'll give it a shot (MythDora) but then I can't use the Media Extender. I'd have to get another machine to use as a front end.
OK, so no PVR-500 on SageRecorder. Glad you clued me in before purchase. So I'll need 3 full SageTV licences for my 3 backend machines. 2 network encoders (P3-1GHz room for 2 PVR-500s +serial card) and one "main" SageTV server (P4-1.8GHz no room for encoders).
I guess it's too much to hope that SageTV gives discounts for multiple licenses? My luck isn't that good.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyM
So I'll need 3 full SageTV licences for my 3 backend machines. 2 network encoders (P3-1GHz room for 2 PVR-500s +serial card) and one "main" SageTV server (P4-1.8GHz no room for encoders).
If the "main" SageTV server you mention is going to be a file server, then no you would not need a Sage license for that. One of the other machines with the encoders could be used as the SageTV server.

You mentioned previously that you were going to use an extender. The extender does not tax the host computer's processor.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Sage User

My arrangement is 2 encoder PCs with 2 PVR-500's each (each PC is p3-1GHz). A "master" SageTV machine (P4-1.8GHz). All storage will be on a separate file server housing a 2TB RAID array. The "master" I wanted a little stouter than the encoders to ensure snappy menu switching, etc. Anything to increase the WAF.
I may add another encoder PC to allow 12 channels of DirecTV.

Last edited by JimmyM; 05-18-2006 at 01:27 PM.