SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
And that is my point - if java is already installed, it won't install it; if java isn't installed, the installer will install it.

(I asked "what java files..." since I wasn't sure if that was what you meant.)

- Andy
What I was getting at is ... you were making a point of "backing up other files you might need" to roll back your old Sage. I thought I remembered in the past that not all versions of java worked with all versions of Sage, thus was asking should we also backing up the java folder as well ...
Old 10-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

What if you ran the v6 Beta then reverted back to v5, I have some recordings that where recoreded in v6 that are showing as imported videos rather in Sage Recordings, can I use the wiz.bin (or whatever file, bear with me) from v6 so my recordings, favorites that I made using v6 show up in v5?
Old 10-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus
What if you ran the v6 Beta then reverted back to v5 ... can I use the wiz.bin from v6 so my recordings, favorites that I made using v6 show up in v5?
No, the v6 wiz.bin is not compatible with v5. If you revert back to a previous version, you'll need to restore wiz.bin from that previous version. (If you didn't save it, SageTV automatically makes a copy the first time you run the new version.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus
What if you ran the v6 Beta then reverted back to v5, I have some recordings that where recoreded in v6 that are showing as imported videos rather in Sage Recordings, can I use the wiz.bin (or whatever file, bear with me) from v6 so my recordings, favorites that I made using v6 show up in v5?
No, wiz.bin files are not backwards compatible. That is why you should always back up the wiz.bin before upgrading so if you need to rollback you can replace the old file. Any new recordings made with the newer version will then show up as imported videos.

Edit: Darn I'm slow today.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Sage User

Exclamation Un install/ Re install

I need to re install sagetv completely. I have lost all most all my HI def (qam) channels I think because I have increctly cross patch some of them. regular uninstall and deleting the sagetv folders does not work. Obviously there is still something left behind because when I reinstall it, it does not ask for my registration number. The only way around this is to reformat the hard drive. I don't want to do this. What can I do to fix this?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrofex View Post
I need to re install sagetv completely. ... regular uninstall and deleting the sagetv folders does not work. Obviously there is still something left behind because when I reinstall it, it does not ask for my registration number. The only way around this is to reformat the hard drive. I don't want to do this. What can I do to fix this?
The existing license registration shouldn't affect a new installation. There's a FAQ about doing a complete reinstallation -- as it says: make sure you are not restoring your old properties file(s). And, you should try a new installation w/o using the old wiz.bin.

If you are using Vista, there might be files left in the VirtualStore, so check that too.

If deleting all those files doesn't help when you do a new install, then check with tech support.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Sage User

Lost channeles

I deleted the sage folder which I think has the wiz.bin it did not help. I don't need to save any settings. It seemes to keep my test of adding channels and linking channels. I want to wipe this all out.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Sage Icon

If I made some tweaks to my Default UI in v.6.3.10, will I lose them if I upgrade to 6.4.x?

I changes some Fonts and Button Text in Studio.

Will i ahve to do that over again?
Old 07-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt View Post
If I made some tweaks to my Default UI in v.6.3.10, will I lose them if I upgrade to 6.4.x?

I changes some Fonts and Button Text in Studio.

Will i ahve to do that over again?
From the first post of this topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
... any time you install a new version, only the default STV (SageTV3.xml) is overwritten by the one in the installer. Your other STV files are not affected. So, while the imports will still be in your old STV, the new changes in the default STV will not be in the old one where your imports were loaded previously. You would need to start with the new default STV & load any imports again. Note: The List of available customizations includes a link to a plugin that can batch process your list of STV imports.

Unless you deleted your old properties file(s), all of the old setting should still be in place.
This means that default STV (currently: SageTV3.xml) will be overwritten and the properties file will not be.

- Andy
Old 07-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
From the first post of this topic:

This means that default STV (currently: SageTV3.xml) will be overwritten and the properties file will not be.

- Andy
Thanks!!

Sorry, not sure I got if actual Studio changes would stick? I did modify a few minor things in there as well.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Sage Icon

If you used Studio to edit the default STV and did not re-name the STV file, then your changes will be lost when you do the upgrade.

If you used Studio to edit the default STV or a custom STV and saved it with a different name, then your custom STV file will still be there. However, after the upgrade, the first time you launch Sage, it will open the latest default STV (not your customized file), and you won't see your changes.

You will be able to go back and use your old modified STV, but you won't have the benefits of any new features or fixes that were added to the latest default STV. Also, it is possible that changes made to Sage's core will make your old modified STV no longer work properly.

This is why Sage supports imports. If you make a lot of customizations to the default STV, it is best to create an STVi that contains those customizations. Then when you upgrade Sage, you can just re-import the STVi.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 05-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Note that the instructions in the first post of this thread still apply to trying out the v7 beta, though I may now go back & change a few words.

In short: make a backup copy of your current SageTV installation, then install v7 over the existing version.

Extenders & Placeshifters may not automatically select the default SageTV7 STV, but you should be able to easily change that in Detailed Setup -> Advanced -> Revert to the default STV.

- Andy
Old 08-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

Version 7.0.12?

Where can I find beta v7.0.12?

PC: W7 32bit, Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad, 4GB DRAM
Cap Devices: Colosuss+UIRT+Cable STB; HDHR QAM+OTA, USB MediaSonic (6TB)
Network Players: HD200, (2) HD300s
Viewing: Samsung 55" 8000, Sony 50" and HP 37"
The more complicated it is the more likely it will break!
Old 08-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Administrator

There's an notification thread stuck at the top of the Announcements forum (and a link at the top of this one) that lists all the previous versions.

- Andy
Old 09-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
There is a FAQ entry ...
[*]Apply customizations
Well, not really... you are using a beta version! Please test the default setup so we know whether it works.

heh... OK, OK, so you aren't going to do that, now, are you? Version 7 plugins are now selectable from Setup -> SageTV Plugins. They can be discussed in the SageTV v7 Customizations forum.

Prior to version 7: If you insist on using some customizations, especially STVi imports, remember: any time you install a new version, only the default STV (SageTV7.xml) is overwritten by the one in the installer. Your other STV files are not affected. So, while the imports will still be in your old STV, the new changes in the default STV will not be in the old one where your imports were loaded previously. You would need to start with the new default STV & load any imports again. Note: The List of available customizations includes a link to a plugin that can batch process your list of STV imports.

Unless you deleted your old properties file(s), all of the old setting should still be in place.

Remember: If you have applied customizations or are using a custom STV, please try the default setup if you run into a problem. This will help determine whether the problem is in a customization or in the default configuration.

- Andy
How do I get to a clean SageTV7.xml? You seem to indicate that V7 does like V6 where each add-in would increment the STV number (SageTV7-1.xml, SageTV7-2.xml ...) leaving the original SageTV7.xml intact.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
How do I get to a clean SageTV7.xml? You seem to indicate that V7 does like V6 where each add-in would increment the STV number (SageTV7-1.xml, SageTV7-2.xml ...) leaving the original SageTV7.xml intact.
Does it give that impression? I didn't think it did, though there are probably more v7 edits I could do to the first post.

In v7, the plugin system doesn't overwrite the STV or save it as a new version; it just applies the STV plugins when you run SageTV. To stop using a plugin, disable or uninstall it.

- Andy
Old 09-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Does it give that impression? I didn't think it did, though there are probably more v7 edits I could do to the first post.

In v7, the plugin system doesn't overwrite the STV or save it as a new version; it just applies the STV plugins when you run SageTV. To stop using a plugin, disable or uninstall it.

- Andy
Re-reading it, I see my mistake... It would be nice if there was a "remove all"
Old 09-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
Re-reading it, I see my mistake... It would be nice if there was a "remove all"
Please check each beta's release notes for changes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
SageTV V7.0.16 Beta 9/2/2010

STV Updates

12. Plugin list: When viewing installed plugins, added slide-out option to uninstall all plugins, with double confirmation.
- Andy
Old 06-25-2013, 05:17 AM
Sage User

I need to re-install Sagetv & have this folder structure (Windows 7):
1. SageTV
2.Common
3.Legacy, remoteCodes
2.SageTV
3.channelLogos, clients, etc.
I don't quite understand your comment above about making a backup copy of the SageTV directory but "not the SageTV directory that contains many, many files". I have backed up the wiz.bin, .properties and the tuner settings files (.frq). Which of the above directories do I really need to backup for a reinstall?
Old 10-24-2015, 06:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

Will just replacing the Sage Jar files allow sagetv to find the new plugins repository since Google Code is shutting down or do I need to replace the exe files to when running Windows 10 64 bit OS?

Tags
backup, beta, install, upgrade