SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:02 AM
Administrator

How to install a new version of SageTV

There is a FAQ entry for this too, but here is some info/suggestions to keep in mind when installing a new beta version of SageTV:
  1. Exit SageTV
    Make sure SageTV is not running -- close SageTV, close the client, stop the service. Be thorough and ruthless. Don't just put it to sleep; make sure it isn't running at all.
  2. Backup your current installation.
    The easiest way to save your current SageTV data, customizations, settings, etc. is to make a complete copy of your current SageTV installation. Yes, you could save just a couple files, such as wiz.bin and sage.properties... but this method also saves your channel logos, STV customizations, etc.

Note: SageTV will automatically create backups of your wiz.bin and properties files when you start the new version for the first time; the process outlined here helps to backup everything else.

Locate the SageTV install directory (usually something like C:\Program Files\SageTV) and copy the entire directory tree somewhere else. Note: you want to copy the SageTV directory that contains just the Common and SageTV folders, not the SageTV directory that contains many, many files. By copying the main SageTV dir, you will get all those many files & then some.
  3. Backup other files you might need
    Do you use the Hauppauge remote? If so, make a backup copy of the irremote.ini file, which is found in your Windows direcotry. If you've never customized this file, you may not need to worry about this step.
  4. Install SageTV
    That's right: just install SageTV. You don't need to uninstall the previous version first, unless you are using Windows Home Server. The installer will take care of uninstalling the old version before installing the new one. Notes:
    1. If using Windows Home Server, uninstall the old version of SageTV before running the SageTV for WHS installer.
    2. Pay attention to the location where the installer will install the new version. You want to make sure it is the same directory where the current version is installed.
    3. If you are using the Hauppauge remote, the installer will create the SageTV settings in irremote.ini if you check that option. If you don't check that option & had it checked on a previous installation, the SageTV section will be removed from irremote.ini. This is why you wanted to make a backup copy of irremote.ini, especially if you've customized irremote.ini. Essentially: try to always either check that option or always leave it unchecked, depending on whether you use the default ini settings or custom ini settings.
    4. All of your other current settings will be kept, except that the STV will be reset to use the default STV.
  5. Run SageTV
    Now that SageTV has been installed, run the service control application (SageTVServiceControl.exe) to configure + start the SageTV service and/or start the SageTV UI (SageTV.exe or SageTVClient.exe). If the latest STV is not loaded automatically, you can select it from Detailed Setup -> Advanced -> Revert to the default STV (or via the SageTV Application Package option).

Check that things work as expected. Recordings, Favorites, etc. still as they were before? Recordings play? Remote work? Significant other still has that adoring smile?

If so, great.

If not, make sure SageTV was installed to the same location as last time, or check other possible mistakes.

If there is a bug, please submit it using the Bug Submission Form. Remember: you can post bug somments in the forum, but to be sure SageTV sees them, use the bug reporting system. (If it isn't a beta version, please fill out a Support Request.)
  6. Apply customizations
    Well, not really... you are using a beta version! Please test the default setup so we know whether it works.

heh... OK, OK, so you aren't going to do that, now, are you? Version 7 plugins are now selectable from Setup -> SageTV Plugins. They can be discussed in the SageTV v7 Customizations forum.

Prior to version 7: If you insist on using some customizations, especially STVi imports, remember: any time you install a new version, only the default STV (SageTV7.xml) is overwritten by the one in the installer. Your other STV files are not affected. So, while the imports will still be in your old STV, the new changes in the default STV will not be in the old one where your imports were loaded previously. You would need to start with the new default STV & load any imports again. Note: The List of available customizations includes a link to a plugin that can batch process your list of STV imports.

Unless you deleted your old properties file(s), all of the old setting should still be in place.

Remember: If you have applied customizations or are using a custom STV, please try the default setup if you run into a problem. This will help determine whether the problem is in a customization or in the default configuration.
  7. Relax, enjoy SageTV, and watch some TV.
    If you've followed all these steps and I've actually somehow managed to list them without forgetting something important, then just relax, enjoy SageTV, and watch some TV.

What to do if an insurmountable problem is encountered.
  1. In case debug logging isn't turned on, make sure it is enabled in Detailed Setup -> Advanced -> Debug Logging. You will need to restart SageTV after changing that setting for it to take effect. There will be sagetv_0.txt and/or sagetvclient_0.txt log files after each time SageTV is run. Save those files from when a problem occurs to help track down a problem -- they can be emailed to betatest at sagetv.com

2. If you feel the need to revert to a previous version, then:
    1. Uninstall the current version.
    2. Install the previous version, making sure to install in the same directory as before.
    3. Copy the backed-up copy of the old installation back into place. This step restores all your old data files and configuration settings. Version 7 data files are not compatible with version 6!
    4. Run SageTV to make sure it got reverted properly.

Once again: if you run into a problem, Submit a Bug Report. Don't just revert to a previous version and wait for the next update. If no one reports the problem, you may just run into it again the next time.

Did I forget anything?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
[*]Backup your current installation.
[*]Backup other files you might need
Here is my batch file to make this a little easier: Script for backing up before updating Sage installation
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 03-18-2006, 02:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to steingra
upgrading SageTV

Hi Opus4,

(OK no laughing) Well I am still running the original version 4 of sagetv on server and clients. But I want to upgrade soon, so that I can use the Media MVPs that I purchased. I am just a little hesitant to upgrade because everything is working so nicely now. And I dont have a lot of extra time to be fixing possible problems that come up.

But I know eventually I have to upgrade.

So, can you give me a gut feeling of how often you run into problems when upgrading from one version to a new beta version?

I REALLLY want to put my MediaMVP's to use, and to try out placeshifting too, in April when my work schedule allows me more freedom. So I know I have to upgrade the Server and my clients too (which are using the same addins and stv's that I installed on all of them, just to be consistent)

Im just trying to map out the process of upgrading the server, and the clients, and get the Media MVPs working, and avoid problems. I just want it all to work like it does now....but I DO need to upgrade! or I cant do any of the new fun stuff.

PS
I know dumb question bit, where do I download the lastest *stable* or non-beta version of Sagetv and SageTV client? I suppose if I just download the versions from the SageTV download page, that will get me the lastest version right ? Just havent downloaded many versions since I started using SageTV, so I wasnt 100% where latest stable version is at.

Last edited by steingra; 03-18-2006 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Administrator

I can't remember the last time I had a problem installing & running a new version. But, the steps above are intended to 1) provide a way to revert to an older version fairly easily if the upgrade does have problems for you, and 2) keep your current configuration settings & data. You'll still have to apply any STV imports, but that is also covered above.

If you want to try the MVP & placeshifter, I recommend using the latest beta from the beta forum. The non-beta release version from a while back won't have the latest fixes (MVP or otherwise) nor will it have any placeshifter ability.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to steingra
OK, I will just go ahead and make a backup copy of all the important files, and then just DO IT I am sure it will be fine based on what you are saying. I will use the latest beta version 4.1.10

Edit: I just made the copy of it, installed the new beta version over the top of existing, on both client and server, and its working just fine. Yeah SageTV!

Now to try out an MVP and then placeshifting....and who knows what after that.

PS
If I understand correctly, I have to re-install any add-ins that I had on the previous version right? Because they are gone now. If so, I will just follow the simple directions for doing that. And add my 3 or 4 add-ins back into my clients. I actually dont install any add-ins on my server, I figured since I dont usually open up the sagetv interface on there too much I dont need to change the base configuration of it.

Edit: Well everything went perfect. Not one glitch. I just made the backup copies, and then installed new beta version 4.1.10 on server and clients. And its all working great. Seems faster too. Also got the first MediaMVP working, just plugged it in and it worked, gotta like that

AND placeshifter is working too.

Last edited by steingra; 03-19-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Sage Fanatic

Keep channel line-up?

Opus,
I have been doing the beta thing for some time now, but I'm having a problem with something I'd like to do. I want to do a clean slate install but keep my channel line up and tuner configuration. I.e. When I upgraded last time, I made a backup, then uninstalled SageTV and deleted the "program files\sagetv\" folder en total. Installed the latest beta and re introduced my backup wiz.bin, wiz.bak, channel logo's folder, news.dat etc. I didn't want to re-use my old sage.properties file because I didn't want to miss out on any changes made to the default properties file by the last beta.

The problem is that after doing this I have to re-install my recording sources, and configure my channel line ups again. That wouldn't be too big a problem but zap2it has our lineup all screwy so it takes about an hour to remap all the channels correctly for all three of my different lineups/tuners. Is there a section of the back up sage.properties file that I can copy to the new one created by the setup wizard that will retain my encoder/line-up configurations?
Old 03-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanzee
Is there a section of the back up sage.properties file that I can copy to the new one created by the setup wizard that will retain my encoder/line-up configurations?
Rather than trying to list everything that you should keep (which I don't know w/100% certainty), all I can suggest is to go through the properties file & delete anything that doesn't look like it could be related to epg info, channel lineups, and tuner config. Make a copy of both the original & your edited version before restarting SageTV.

I think you'll have better luck with that instead of me trying to list all the properties to keep... and end up w/me forgetting some.

- Andy
Old 03-30-2006, 04:05 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
go through the properties file & delete anything that doesn't look like it could be related to epg info, channel lineups, and tuner config.
So if I have a essentially blank sage.properties, sans the area which I think are related to EPG and tuner stuff, the setup wizard will fill in the missing bits and updates, but use my retained info? I.e. not ask me to configure my tuners.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Pretty much, yes. If a property exists, its value will be used. If it doesn't exist, then the default value will be used. That's one way to reset some setting -- if you don't know what it should be, just delete the property & restart.

- Andy
Old 04-22-2006, 01:19 AM
Sage Icon

What if you made some minor Studio changes ... such as; text color, change to what menus show up when back his selected, etc.? Do you have to go back in to Studio and make each change again individually??

Thanks, T.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Short answer: yes.

It's possible to write an STVI script that will do the changes for you when you import it. But if you have just a few minor changes, and aren't a Studio wizard, it's probably simpler to just do them again by hand.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:38 AM
Administrator

That's why I put step #6 is in the first post: "Apply customizations". It states that you have to re-apply changes to the default STV, because your customizations won't be there. (I guess it states "imports", but it applies to all types of STV changes.)

- Andy
Old 06-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Sage User

saving settings

Hi I want to do a clean install of windows (maybe even try your linux ver) and was wondering which files to save for favorite recordings and remote setup (USB-UIRT)
is there a list somewhere that explains which files do what?
Old 06-10-2006, 06:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtfred99
Hi I want to do a clean install of windows (maybe even try your linux ver) and was wondering which files to save for favorite recordings and remote setup (USB-UIRT)
is there a list somewhere that explains which files do what?
From the very first post:
Quote:
Backup your current installation.
The easiest way to save your current SageTV data, customizations, settings, etc. is to make a complete copy of your current SageTV installation. Yes, you could save just a couple files, such as wiz.bin and sage.properties... but this method also saves your channel logos, STV customizations, etc.
Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Backup other files you might need

- Andy
Two questions Andy ...

1 - Should we back up the old Java files?

2 - If you made say a half dozen minor Studio edits will those be lost in the upgrade?

T.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
1 - Should we back up the old Java files?
What java files do you mean? If you have java installed, as far as I know, the SageTV installer won't install java at all.

Quote:
2 - If you made say a half dozen minor Studio edits will those be lost in the upgrade?
Didn't we go over this above? The installer only installs a single STV: SageTV3.xml. If you haven't been editing that file, your changes will still be in your custom STV, since any custom STV remains unchanged. And, of course, your custom STV will contain nothing new from the new default STV, since the custom is not changed.

- Andy
Old 10-04-2006, 11:55 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
What java files do you mean? If you have java installed, as far as I know, the SageTV installer won't install java at all.

Didn't we go over this above? The installer only installs a single STV: SageTV3.xml. If you haven't been editing that file, your changes will still be in your custom STV, since any custom STV remains unchanged. And, of course, your custom STV will contain nothing new from the new default STV, since the custom is not changed.

- Andy
Hmm ... Well I seem to remember Java being installed with one of my prior Sage versions?? I still have a "C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06" folder on my client system where I have Sage v.4.1.10. From your response, guess I am from outer sapce ...

I suppose you did go over it, though not specifically referencing Studio changes. But, I should have made the connection myself.

Sorry to have asked dumb questions ...
Old 10-05-2006, 04:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
Hmm ... Well I seem to remember Java being installed with one of my prior Sage versions?? I still have a "C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06" folder on my client system where I have Sage v.4.1.10.
And that is my point - if java is already installed, it won't install it; if java isn't installed, the installer will install it.

(I asked "what java files..." since I wasn't sure if that was what you meant.)

- Andy
Old 10-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
And that is my point - if java is already installed, it won't install it; if java isn't installed, the installer will install it.

(I asked "what java files..." since I wasn't sure if that was what you meant.)

- Andy
Doesn't seem entirely true. I have 2 machines, the one with Java 1.5.x, SageTV 6 install didn't try to install Java, but the machine with Java 1.6 RC, SageTV6 did try to install 1.4.x.

-D
Old 10-05-2006, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnttoker
but the machine with Java 1.6 RC, SageTV6 did try to install 1.4.x.
Thanks for the reminder -- I believe that's because it is a newer version that SageTV isn't checking for. I think they know about that, but you could always submit it to SageTV to make sure... though it may be considered too new to do anything about yet.

- Andy

Tags
backup, beta, install, upgrade