SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-22-2005, 11:17 PM

PVR-150 no sound on a few channels (+ How to fine tune channels?)

Hi, I just bought PVR-150 w/ 45 key remote
im trying out SageTV before i buy it
got the programming working so im happy with that

but for a few channels such as from 15 to 20ish, there is no audio

for other channels audio is fine

there are no audio problems when using Dscaler for those channels
so im wondering if it is the channel tunning frequency that is messed up in SageTV or what

edit: the coaxial cable is pretty short only about 2 feet long from the outlet to the computer, nothing is coiled
changing PCI slot didnt help

Please help.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Evil Techie; 05-22-2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:42 PM

i tried using freqcopy
i could see the registry being copied fine
this is all after i turned off AFT in winTV2k for the channels that needed fixing
i also manually adjusted them

then copied and reinstalled sageTV and no use
same thing

im at a lost
please help
Old 05-24-2005, 05:11 PM

cant frey technology make manual tuning possible on sageTV?
Old 05-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Administrator

A search for "manual tuning" turned up: Frequency fine tuning, among other threads. That one might have some info for you.

It might helps others to know where you are located. You may also want to check the info here about setting the video format code.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:02 PM

sry i forgot to state that im in canada
so formatcode and such are no problems since they were 1 to begin with

ive already tried freqcopy as i stated in the previous posts
and it didnt work
not even after reinstalling sageTV
that is why im really confused now

thanx
Old 06-19-2005, 07:13 AM
Sage User

I am having the same problem with the same exact card.. Just to let you know I actually bought this card as part of a snapstream bundle & it wont work for their software eithe so its not just Sage TV. You can fine tune the TS0-1 freq. in the registry however I have had no luck with this with BTV possibly will work for Sage. WinTV works fine with my card but had to be fine tuned on those 10 channels & Dscaler also had to be tuned in. I have spent a month now trying New software & hitting formums & I have came to the conclusion that our cards just wont work with Sage or BTV.. I bet you have analog cable hu? Everyone else having this issue is with analog cable & a PVR150. I have tried every driver out there as well. Have you tried asking for help from the tech support here? I am in the USA btw.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

As Opus pointed out, the following link should help:
http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...3&page=1&pp=20

Then if you can get the PVR150 to work in winTV you should be able to make it work in SageTV by means of a registry edit. The thread also describes how to do that.

The tricky part is knowing what value to enter for the new frequency since the tweek in winTV is not an exact match. I think the "fine tune.jpg" I attached to this post may help (if I can get it to the web). It shows the US/Canada analog cable channels 1-80, their base frequencies, and tweeked frequencies for +4, +5, +6, +7 tweeks.

Then using regedit or notepad and windows registry editor (also described in the previous link) you can modify the registry frequency settings.

FYI: I did not us freqcopy by eurojojo. I trusted my own editing of the registry over an automated edit (one that I had no control or knowledge of).

Hope this helps. The PVR150's are very goods cards and they do work very well with analog cable and SageTV, so don't give up. I suspect that if you don't get it working with this, there is some setting that has gotten "whacked" in your efforts up 'till this point. Again, don't give up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fine tune.jpg (309.2 KB, 673 views)
Old 06-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Sage User

This fixed 2 out of my 10 channels the other I have tweaked as far as I can & still have picture & still no sound.. however with just a +2 or +4 tweak they all work in winTV.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

I had a similar problem after I moved my system from my "build" location to my 'Viewing" location. It was because a channel was being received as mono in winTV and SageTV expected it to be stereo (I got no sound in SageTV). I had to shorten my cables and make new terminations and the problem could then be cleared up by tweaking. I don't know if this is your issue but it is something to check. You should be able to see in winTV the sound status in one of the configuration screens (I forget which one).

Another possible issue is the release of the drivers from Hauppauge. (You probably have tried it, but I have to suggest getting the latest from their web site).

A last ditch effort could be to uninstall and reinstall SageTV. I didn't have to do it but another user reported that was the only way SageTV would take the changes they were trying. (I don't nesc. believe that to be the case, but it could have been a way of correcting a misconfiguration).

If you do uninstall and reinstall. Back up your config files and bin files and try them out after you (hopefully) get the sound working in a fresh install. If the backup files screw up the sound again, at least you will know where the problem is.

Don't give up!
Old 06-21-2005, 06:04 AM
Sage User

Yes they show up as mono in WinTV. I cannot shorten the cables however as it is hardwired into my home. Will a signal booster help?
Old 06-21-2005, 04:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

A signal booster should help. I had to get one for my home (prior to SageTV) and it improved the sound and video on several of my channels which were previously (very) bad.

If you have a cable modem (or consider getting one in the future), make sure the amp is compatable. It would need to be bi-directional and cover at least up to 900Mhz. You can check with your cable company also. They may be obligated to provide an amp or to improve their source signal if you are not correctly receiving what you are paying for. As a matter of fact...I would start there! Although, they may not be as quick to solve your problem as a trip to RadioShack

It sound like you are on the right track. Good luck!
Old 06-22-2005, 04:20 AM
Sage User

I had the cable company out & they say that as long as the single tunes on a normal TV they have no obligation.. I have about 100ft of cable & 4 breaks in the line & thats how they installed it lol.. Ordering a booster today.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

My quest for working sound on all my channels (analog cable in Canada) with my PVR-150 continues. I just tried to fine-tune a problem channel (Channel 21) with FreqShifter. I used the +4, +5, +6 and +7 Tweeks frequencies posted by Para. I still have no audio on that channel - all it did was make the video part worse. Are there other frequencies I should be trying? The PVR-USB2 tuner I also have never has problems with any missing audio.

The only time the PVR-150 picks up audio for every channel if when I first add it in "Add New Source", pick the PVR-150 as a Tuner and manually press the arrows to go through every channel. At that point it has perfect audio in every channel. Once I finish configuring the PVR-150 and test it on LiveTV, it is missing the audio for the same half dozen or so channels. I haven't tried using a signal booster yet but if this was a problem with lack of signal strength, then why does audio work with every channel when I'm initially configuring the tuner (not to mention when SageTV is using the PVR-USB2)?

I've even tried another PVR-150 card and that one had much worse problems with missing audio in almost all my cable channels. I know Huappauge has beta drivers designed to fix a problem described as "the issue of No Audio on some tuner channels on a limited number of hardware models" (i.e. the PVR-150 and PVR-500). However when I install those drivers my PVR-150 card won't work at all. Any ideas?