SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Administrator

URC MX-700 remote layout for the STX-HD100 extender

I've attached zip files that can be used to create a "SAGE" device on a Home Theater MX-700 remote. The files consist of:
  1. SageTV_STX-HD100_Device_from_URC.zip

This is a device file from Universal Remote Control that replicates the STX-HD100's remote's IR codes, plus the discrete on/off codes. You could use this to create your own preferred layout from scratch. This device will be added to the built-in codes in a future URC live update for your remote's editor.

2. MX-700_native_setup_for_STX-HD100.zip

This is a device file to create a SAGE device using the native STX-HD100 codes from above, including discrete on/off codes, along with a few codes from the 34 button Hauppauge remote to fill out the rest of the MX-700's LCD buttons.

Unless the HD100's remote interferes with other equipment you have, this is the preferred configuration.

The zip file contains ReadMe.txt and STX-HD100 via Native Setup.mxd -- see the info in the readme file regarding how to import the devices in the MX-700 Editor. Don't forget: import the SAGE device last, or it will not have any other devices to link to. Note that this file uses native codes from the STX-HD100's remote, plus discrete on/off codes. Those native buttons should not need to be assigned to commands in SageTV. A few buttons have been mapped to IR codes from the old 34 button Hauppauge remote to allow all the MX-700's LCD buttons to be used, so you will need to assign those buttons in SageTV before they will work as expected.

3. MX-700_setup_for_STX-HD100.zip

This is a device file to create a SAGE device using the Hauppauge 34 button and 45 button remotes.

This configuration may be considered if the HD100's remote interferes with other equipment you have.

This one is not a direct device that replicates the STX-HD100 remote, but a combination of buttons from the 34-button and 45-button Hauppauge remotes that can be used to fully control the STX-HD100, including to power it on & off and to start it on its servers list menu from a powered-off state.

The zip file contains ReadMe.txt and STX-HD100 Setup.mxd -- see the info in the readme file regarding how to import the devices in the MX-700 Editor. Don't forget: import the SAGE device last, or it will not have any other devices to link to. Note that since this does not duplicate the codes from the STX-HD100 remote, you will need to do some button/command assigments in Detailed Setup while using the STX-HD100. Some buttons will already be assigned to their correct commands, but not all of them.

- Andy

Attached Files
File Type: zip MX-700_setup_for_STX-HD100.zip (8.2 KB, 2200 views)
File Type: zip SageTV_STX-HD100_Device_from_URC.zip (6.0 KB, 2208 views)
File Type: zip MX-700_native_setup_for_STX-HD100.zip (17.6 KB, 2188 views)
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Sage Expert

Thanks Andy!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:41 AM
SageTVaholic

I am thinking about buying an MX-500 for the room where this will be used. Will this profile work for it too?

B
Old 12-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
I am thinking about buying an MX-500 for the room where this will be used. Will this profile work for it too?
Not that I know of -- unless they've changed things, the MX-500 doesn't even come with PC software. There was some 3rd party software, but I don't know what file format that used.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Sage Expert

I would not risk the MX-500. I have one and ultimately bought the mx-700 because the mx-500 could not learn many ir codes. The mx-700 learns them all and as Andy said it comes with PC software that makes it easy to setup.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

What they said on the MX-500.

Right now I would look at the MX-850 on surfremotecontrol.com. URC is going to discontinue this unit and they have a smoking deal on it right now. It is fully pc programmable and is both IR and RF capable. Sort of a "fully evolved" version of the MX-700/800. It is a good bit more than the 500, but in the long run very much worth it.

Jesse
HD300 X1

Last edited by Jesse; 12-11-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Sage User

About the MX-500..
There was a 3rd party that made a device that plugged into the USB port and mimicked a second remote which allowed it to be programmed using software.

It worked pretty well and I have 3 500s that I program with the device. I never had any trouble programming any codes.

The device is no longer made and it is really hard to find (even on eBay). Even if you do find it, it costs about $80-$100.

I have an MX-900 and you can now find it on eBay for between $100 and $200. It's software programmable and has an optional RF base.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have a MX-500 (6 years old and kicking) and I was able to learn all of the Hauppage IR commands. If you have the hauppage remote then you can learn the codes and figure out which ones control what on the STX-HD100.

Technazz
Old 12-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by technazz View Post
I have a MX-500 (6 years old and kicking) and I was able to learn all of the Hauppage IR commands. If you have the hauppage remote then you can learn the codes and figure out which ones control what on the STX-HD100.
I don't think it learns RC5 codes 100% correctly, so it won't use the toggle bit like it should; in which case, you can try the rc5_disable=true property setting.

- Andy
Old 12-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Sage User

I have an MX-850 and it is great and durable. I have lost count of how many times it has fallen from someones chair onto the floor.

Easy to program once you get used to it and I use it with an RF/IR repeater, MRF-300 I think is the model and it has never let me down!

-Robert
Old 01-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
I don't think it learns RC5 codes 100% correctly, so it won't use the toggle bit like it should; in which case, you can try the rc5_disable=true property setting.

- Andy
I concur. I have been using a couple of MX-500 remotes for a few years and they do not handle the rc5 toggle bit. I use them with the extenders but I set rc5_disable=true. The big downside is that I can not program in the discrete power on/off commands.

I am seriously thinking of upgrading to the MX-850 and adding an RF base station. I suspect it will be easier to setup as well. I have a software solution to program the MX-500 but it is limited, buggy and no longer supported.

can somebody confirm that the MX-850 is properly able to learn the rc5 codes and handle the toggle bit?

HC
Old 01-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchucky View Post
can somebody confirm that the MX-850 is properly able to learn the rc5 codes and handle the toggle bit?
It probably needs to use built-in codes, just like the MX-700; see this topic for more about the 850.

- Andy
Old 01-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
It probably needs to use built-in codes, just like the MX-700; see this topic for more about the 850.

- Andy
Thanks Andy. So it looks like the only benefit to move from the MX-500 to the MX-850 is the RF capability and the hope that Universal will add codes so the 850 can be programed with them natively vs trying (and failing) to learn them.

Are their any Universal Remote remotes that can properly learn rc5 with the toggle bit?

HC
Old 01-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Sage Fanatic

Hi Andy,

In the HD extender FAQ you said:

Quote:
Q: How could I customize my programmable remote to have full control of the STX-HD100 media extender?

A: If you can program IR codes into your remote directly, or if your remote has selectable device codes, see below.

The STX-HD100 remote uses the RC5 IR protocol. Attached is a zipped Excel spreadsheet file showing the remote's buttons and the associated SageTV command and IR code. If you are able to program such codes into your remote directly, you could duplicate any button on the remote. There are also discrete Power On and Off codes.

If your remote can be set to select the Hauppauge 45 button remote of the STX-HD100 remote, you could use those device codes. If neither remote is available, ask the remote's manufacturer to add them to its database.
The section about discrete on and off codes is what interests me. I have linked IR commands to "power on" and "power off" in detailed setup, but I have discovered that these are really sleep and wake commands. Are there discrete power on and off codes for the STX-HD100, or were the sleep wake commands what you were refering to? I suppose just putting it to sleep and leaving it powered up would be ok, but it would be nice to have the ability to use a discrete power on and power off when building macros for my MX-850.

TIA

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 01-03-2008, 11:56 AM
SageTVaholic

I use discrete codes here. Universal Browser in the MX850 application using the Pronto CCF file button 14 == on 15 == off.

B

Last edited by bcjenkins; 01-03-2008 at 03:21 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
In the HD extender FAQ you said:
The section about discrete on and off codes is what interests me. I have linked IR commands to "power on" and "power off" in detailed setup, but I have discovered that these are really sleep and wake commands. Are there discrete power on and off codes for the STX-HD100, or were the sleep wake commands what you were refering to? I suppose just putting it to sleep and leaving it powered up would be ok, but it would be nice to have the ability to use a discrete power on and power off when building macros for my MX-850.
The discrete power on/off codes are not the SageTV commands that you referred to, but the IR codes that the HD100 reacts to. They are listed in the attached file in the FAQ entry you quoted.

And, I hear that Universal Remote may have the built-in codes ready to test in a few weeks... I'm obviously not holding them to exact dates and will post when I have successfully tested their file.

- Andy
Old 01-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks Andy.

Thanks B.

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 02-03-2008, 01:52 AM
Administrator

The first post of this topic has been updated to include a new device file from Universal Remote Control, which replicates the exact IR codes from the STX-HD100's remote, plus discrete on/off codes.

I've posted the base device file from URC, a preconfigured layout that uses those codes + a few codes from the Hauppauge 34-button remote to allow all the MX-700's LCD buttons to be used, and the earlier preconfigured layout based on the 34- & 45-button Hauppauge remotes... take your pick.

- Andy
Old 02-03-2008, 01:16 PM
SageTVaholic

I guess I am not understanding the install.. I imported device haup1 and mapped to haup1. Next, I imported device HD100 and mapped to HD100. Last I tried to import device Sage, but no matter what I select, I can't get OK to light up.

Thoughts?

B

PS MX 850

Last edited by bcjenkins; 02-03-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
I imported device haup1 and mapped to haup1. Next, I imported device HD100 and mapped to HD100. Last I tried to import device Sage, but no matter what I select, I can't get Save to light up.
I always get caught up in that one too, until I either play around for quite some time or I remember to read my own readme... there's a paragraph in it that explains how to import the SAGE device, where you have to assign the 2 external devices before you can save that last one.

- Andy