SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 01-22-2023, 10:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Is there any way to send commands to my STB from SageTV?

I would like to send the Vol Up command X20 to my boxes when SageTV starts up. This would cause my STBs to be at max volume, which I prefer for recordings on my HD-PVRs. I use Firewire for control of the boxes.

Is there a way to do this? I used to run a program in Windows that would use the Firewire command line programs channel or channelw to do this.

Is there something analogous in the Linux Firewire control, or even somehow to do this from SageTV? Like a plugin?
Old 01-23-2023, 06:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes there is

https://www.lirc.org
Old 01-24-2023, 07:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Thanks, I will look into that, but I don't know if this works for Firewire as well.

The DVB plugin for unRAID includes Firewire drivers that allows SageTV to very easily use Firewire for controlling STBs. But I don't know how you actually control it outside of SageTV, or even within SageTV to send a command upon SageTV startup, or once a day or whatever.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Nothing that I am aware of.... would love to be able to send a power on command every so often as a couple of my STB's seemingly randomly power off and I don't realize until a recording is missed.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

USB-UIRT could do this. You could put it in a batch file before a line that loads SageTV.
ASRock B450M Pro4 AM4 MB, Ryzen 5 2600 3.4ghz, Crucial Ballistix Gaming 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200, EVGA GT 1030SC, WD Black NVMe SSD 250GB, 1x WD120EFAX 12TB, 1x WD80EFAX 8TB, 1x WDBH2D0040HNC 4TB, USB-UIRT, Colossus 2, WinTV-DualHD USB, Windows 11 64bit
Old 01-27-2023, 08:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker:WG View Post
Nothing that I am aware of.... would love to be able to send a power on command every so often as a couple of my STB's seemingly randomly power off and I don't realize until a recording is missed.
What method do you use for changing channels? IR?
Old 02-02-2023, 12:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

I use FireWire. It's really reliable for sending the channel change commands, but I haven't been able to find a way in Unraid with a SageTV docker to send any other commands. Used to be able to send other commands via the command line app in Windows.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I use FireWire. It's really reliable for sending the channel change commands, but I haven't been able to find a way in Unraid with a SageTV docker to send any other commands. Used to be able to send other commands via the command line app in Windows.
Exactly - I used to use a batch file to run the Windows command line program channelw.exe to send a whole bunch of Volume Up commands. There must be a way to do this from the command line in Linux as well. It seems like the Firewire drivers added by ich777 to the DVB plugin are pretty standard drivers.

I wonder if we can figure out how SageTV sends those commands to the Firewire utility? With Firewire on windows you used to have to set up parameters in the registry. I will poke around when I get the chance and see if I can figure anything out.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:55 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I would like to send the Vol Up command X20 to my boxes when SageTV starts up. This would cause my STBs to be at max volume, which I prefer for recordings on my HD-PVRs. I use Firewire for control of the boxes.

Is there a way to do this? I used to run a program in Windows that would use the Firewire command line programs channel or channelw to do this.

Is there something analogous in the Linux Firewire control, or even somehow to do this from SageTV? Like a plugin?
There is. I use a program called panelctl to send commands to my STBs. Man page describing the commands can be found here.

If you have a linux vm, you can simply install the libavc1394-tools package and copy the panelctl binary to the sage docker.

If you only have windows or mac, download the package from here and extract the binary with something like 7-zip.

I also copied panelctl and the four shared libraries to unraid so that I can control the STBs from outside the sage docker and use cron as well.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Thanks, I will try that. I am pretty sure that the unRAID DVB contains the FireWire drivers, so hopefully it also include all of the libavc1394-tools package.

Last edited by wayner; 03-19-2023 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:25 AM
SageTVaholic

I tried running panelctl from an ssh session within the docker and it gives an error. Any way to tell if this has actually been installed?

I could try to install it manually, but I believe it would get wiped the next time the docker restarts.
Old 03-19-2023, 05:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks, I will try that. I am pretty sure that the unRAID DVB contains the FireWire drivers, so hopefully it also include all of the libavc1394-tools package.
If you're running the latest stable build of Unraid, the Firewire drivers should be part of Unraid itself, no extra packages required.
Old 03-19-2023, 05:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5davey View Post
There is. I use a program called panelctl to send commands to my STBs. Man page describing the commands can be found here.

If you have a linux vm, you can simply install the libavc1394-tools package and copy the panelctl binary to the sage docker.

If you only have windows or mac, download the package from here and extract the binary with something like 7-zip.

I also copied panelctl and the four shared libraries to unraid so that I can control the STBs from outside the sage docker and use cron as well.
Very interesting indeed! I will have to check this out once I get my SageTV actually working again

Is there any way to tell if a STB is currently powered on? Based on the panelctl page, it looks like it just sends a power toggle command, not a distinct power on command.
Old 03-19-2023, 07:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
If you're running the latest stable build of Unraid, the Firewire drivers should be part of Unraid itself, no extra packages required.
I am, but the panelctl command does not seem to be there.
Old 04-02-2023, 11:34 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I tried running panelctl from an ssh session within the docker and it gives an error. Any way to tell if this has actually been installed?

I could try to install it manually, but I believe it would get wiped the next time the docker restarts.
What is the error you get?

If you copy it within /opt/sagetv, then it will survive a restart.

Use the find command to see if panelctl is installed. I did not have panelctl in unraid or the sagetv container so I had to download it.
Old 04-02-2023, 11:37 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Very interesting indeed! I will have to check this out once I get my SageTV actually working again

Is there any way to tell if a STB is currently powered on? Based on the panelctl page, it looks like it just sends a power toggle command, not a distinct power on command.
I have seen other firewire programs that can send a power on command rather than toggle the power. I'm going to look into adding that command since I have downloaded the source.