SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-14-2023, 08:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
You'd actually need to recompile it...but I'll post an issue w/ the fix on their Github page so maybe they'll include it.
Did you have a chance to post this to their page as of yet? Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place…
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 05-14-2023, 08:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Github Discussions

I took some time this morning to mock up a discussion forum using GitHub Discussions.

https://github.com/OpenSageTV/Community/discussions

I added some sample categories and sub-categories but all of that is configurable so open to input and change.

We would also need to work out the invite/join process and create a post to guide members to get started on the new forum if this is the direction we go.

The forum is publicly available for reading.

At minimum members will need to have a GitHub account and then be invited to join the OpenSageTV GitHub organization in order to post...but I will spend some time refining and documenting that process.

Thoughts?

k
Old 05-14-2023, 09:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
I took some time this morning to mock up a discussion forum using GitHub Discussions.

I added some sample categories and sub-categories but all of that is configurable so open to input and change.

We would also need to work out the invite/join process and create a post to guide members to get started on the new forum if this is the direction we go.

At minimum members will need to have a GitHub account and then be invited to join the OpenSageTV GitHub organization in order to post...but I will spend some time refining and documenting that process.

Thoughts?

k
Looks good so far, thanks. What are the costs of this service, photo storage, backups, etc.?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 05-14-2023, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
I don’t know anything about ‘Discord’, is the link I’m posting the right place?
If not, can you post a link to a good example of a Discord forum…

https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/s...itro%20service.
That does talk about Discord. I only mentioned it as an option that doesn't cost anything, not suggesting it as the best place to go. It certainly isn't a forum like this, and started as more of chat place. If someone has a preferred threaded forum that is google searchable and doesn't cost much/anything, most people here would prefer that.

I help run a 40,000 member server on discord and it *could* be set up for threaded topics now, but if the above github discussion or something similar works, by all means, do that instead.
Old 05-14-2023, 10:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Looks good so far, thanks. What are the costs of this service, photo storage, backups, etc.?
Free!

Github provides these services for public open source projects. They have costs if you want a PRIVATE repository but everything we post etc. is Ok as a public organization. So no costs to any of us except the effort involved in getting it set up and keep it monitored over time.

k
Old 05-14-2023, 10:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Github Discussions - testers?

If anyone is interested in working through the join process on GitHub Discussions let me know. I have been a member for a loooong time so cannot easily test joining as a new user (without having multiple accounts and they likely frown on that).

This will be an as time permits process but as we only have 2 weeks left it would be good to try something out sooner than later.

PS: we can also test posting stickies for some recently used threads, test posting images, linkes etc.

k
Old 05-14-2023, 11:16 AM
SageTVaholic

the other forum I use regularly - works well

This is the Xweb forum, where FIAT owners get depressed together. lol.
Seriously though, it's very easy to get around in, find old posts, cross-reference and search for things. The admin gave me the rundown on how it's hosted, costs, etc. How many users can we get to fund this on a yearly basis, enough? Anyways, here's what he forwarded to me when asked what makes the forum tick. It is indeed Xenforo, an offshoot of VBulletin.
Here's the forum itself, followed by the sys admins comments:

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php

--------------------------------------------

"The forum software since 2016 is from Xenforo. Xenforo was formed by some of the former developers of VBulletin which was used to host XWeb from about 2009 to 2016. Because of this, the migration of content in 2016 was fairly easy. The layout is only mildly customized from the Xenforo defaults to maintain visual continuity with previous versions.

XWeb runs on a Linux VPS (Virtual Private Server) hosted at Interserver.net. There's also a MediaWiki instance present. The user media content (images and such) are stored on the VPS, and system backups are sent to an Amazon S3 bucket

XWeb has several moderators with elevated privileges to manage posts and occasionally user issues. I manage the remainder of the install/config/management. Interserver provides basic support for keeping the VPS itself and network connectivity up and running. We have a Xenforo annual subscription to retain access to updated releases and for support issues.

Financial info in this post: https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.p...20/post-414806

Xenforo now offers forum hosting themselves which i'd seriously consider if not for the Wiki instance."

----------------------------------

Is this something we could deal with, or is it too expensive/complicated for the SageTV users to deal with? I'm not that technical in web-site architecture, hence why I've posted this for others to peruse
Long story short: about $650 year in it's current form. Too much, or do-able?

Last edited by tvmaster2; 05-14-2023 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-14-2023, 12:11 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Long story short: about $650 year in it's current form. Too much, or do-able?
My concern about a non-free solution is long term. I think it's safe to say that every year that goes by we lose users to other solutions; I've been looking at streaming options myself, since cable cards are at end of life. So even if we could raise $650 for year one, it might become difficult by year 3, or year 5, or whenever.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 05-14-2023, 12:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Free!

Github provides these services for public open source projects. They have costs if you want a PRIVATE repository but everything we post etc. is Ok as a public organization. So no costs to any of us except the effort involved in getting it set up and keep it monitored over time.

k
hard to beat that then, right?
Old 05-14-2023, 12:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
My concern about a non-free solution is long term. I think it's safe to say that every year that goes by we lose users to other solutions; I've been looking at streaming options myself, since cable cards are at end of life. So even if we could raise $650 for year one, it might become difficult by year 3, or year 5, or whenever.
Yes, it would be good to know how many paying users we currently have. Judging from the activity this month it seems like about 20. lol. That ain't gonna cut it...
Old 05-14-2023, 02:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
If anyone is interested in working through the join process on GitHub Discussions let me know. I have been a member for a loooong time so cannot easily test joining as a new user (without having multiple accounts and they likely frown on that).

This will be an as time permits process but as we only have 2 weeks left it would be good to try something out sooner than later.

PS: we can also test posting stickies for some recently used threads, test posting images, linkes etc.

k
I can test/join whatever you need. How do I get started?
Old 05-14-2023, 06:06 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:

Thoughts?

k
I really like what you've done here. I didn't know this was something Github supported.

--John
Old 05-14-2023, 06:25 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:

k
So I don't think I am a member of the OpenSageTV organization but I was able to reply to posts and create new posts.

So it seems like it's open to anyone? Or should you need to be an org member to post? I assume there is a permission/role to restrict that.

Pro for public (i.e. anyone with a github login can use it) is less overhead/management. Possible con is I don't know what controls are available to limit abuse.

--John (jwittkoski on Github)
Old 05-14-2023, 07:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwegas View Post
So I don't think I am a member of the OpenSageTV organization but I was able to reply to posts and create new posts.

So it seems like it's open to anyone? Or should you need to be an org member to post? I assume there is a permission/role to restrict that.

Pro for public (i.e. anyone with a github login can use it) is less overhead/management. Possible con is I don't know what controls are available to limit abuse.

--John (jwittkoski on Github)
Yes. It seems the default is fully public read, and for any GitHub member you have post access.

The alternative is to limit it to OpenSageTV members which is by invite only. It would be a complex time consuming process as there is no process to request membership.

The owners and admins have the ability to close posts, completely delete posts but I will have to check about blocking a users..though I assume in the case of abuse we would report a user to GitHub.

k
Old 05-14-2023, 08:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Testing GitHub discussions

Those interested in testing go to...

https://github.com/

and select Signup to get a new account.

The go to...

and do some testing and please provide feedback herr.

Note: I can perform a cleanup of test posts if we go forward with this but also feel free to create posts to reference regular threads from SageTV.

If you think of a category or section that I need to add, let me know.

k
Old 05-15-2023, 01:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

I like this much better than discord - it has a good structure; Discord seems like it would be harder to track topics.
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Github Discussions - mobile option too

I have recently also installed the GitHub app on my Android phone (IOS available too), and the discussions work well on it as well.

It also helps with account verification if your GitHub account uses 2FA (2 factor auth). Not certain if they are enforcing 2FA now for all account or not.

k
Old 05-15-2023, 09:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Github looks like a winner to me.
Old 05-15-2023, 10:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Github Discussions - do we have a solution now?

Based on the feedback it seems those who have checked out GitHub Discussions (GHD) have given a thumbs up.

A few thoughts/questions...
  1. @Narflex...are you/Google Ok with GitHub Discussions as a community supported discussion solution?
  2. @Narflex...would you be able to point forums.sagetv.com subdomain to "https://github.com/OpenSageTV/Community/discussions" when the current forums are retired?
  3. If Jeff is Ok with the above then we would pin a post on GHD with a link to the static copy of the original forums.
  4. Moderators. I am in discussions with Opus4 and he believes he would have time to help if needed (and I believe he is needed). When he has time and gets a GH account I will set him up with admin privileges to allow moderation. I will also have this ability but it is not my strength so will stay out of it if Andy will take it on but can back him up if/when needed.
  5. Rollout/Communications...is there any method for Opus4/Narflex to send a message to current forum members with details on the move and signup process. This may not be needed if the subdomain can be forwarded but it may prompt some needed activity on the forums.
  6. Sections and Categories. All posts go into a Category and Categories are either at the root level (like General) or are within a Section (like I setup Docker under Software). Please provide suggestions for any other needed Categories and Sections.
  7. Migration. Do we migrate any critical info or only point to it? For any section we can PIN a post with either links to the related original forum posts or actually take time to copy/paste key post info to new PINNED posts. Volunteers to do this migration would be great.

Feedback welcome.

k
Old 05-15-2023, 10:54 AM
SageTVaholic

In terms of sections/categories I could suggest a few: Hardware (maybe split into capture devices and other sub-sections), Guide/EPG, 3rd party integration.

I am not sure if Plugins should be part of Dev. To me Dev would be something primarily for the folks doing the development rather than end users. Or have a separate Plugins section for users.