SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-12-2023, 02:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Agee with all on this thread- I wouldnt have any SAGE capabilities if not for this site -the help has been priceless. thanks goodness the archival is hopefully safe.
Tom
Old 05-12-2023, 04:30 PM
SageTVaholic

If I were to put up $250, and another knowledgeable Sage user capable of setting up a forum in a webspace hopped in (and helped maintain it), what would that get us?

When I look for forum hosting blindly (and I mean blindly for someone like me), it would appear $250ish would get us 3 years of pretty decent hosting on an SSD based server. Is there a cheaper, better way, where a forum could be hosted on a home computer and linked somehow?

What's it gonna take?
Old 05-12-2023, 05:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
You are correct for new discussions...somebody else needs to come up with a new option or it'll end up being Google Groups.

I will definitely keep a static copy of the existing forums alive for archival purposes...I am allowed to do that. So please don't try to download your own copies of the forums right now...it's just going to slow down my work trying to create the official archive of them.
Jeff,

Will Google offer to free host a server if the community gets volunteers to set it up and maintain it?

k
Old 05-12-2023, 10:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Unless someone has other options, what do people think of Discord, as opposed to google groups? I don't remember if anyone had another hosting option posted previously.

Discussions there are less threaded, but there are thread and pseudo forum channel options there.
Personally, I prefer Google Groups over Discord. Discord just seems painful to me. What about GroupsIO?
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 05-13-2023, 11:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Jeff,

Will Google offer to free host a server if the community gets volunteers to set it up and maintain it?

k
No.
Old 05-13-2023, 12:47 PM
Sage Icon

I don't know what features are supported or even if you can set this up for free, but Github has "Discussions".

https://docs.github.com/en/discussions

If not on the google/sagetv Github with the project source code, then on the opensagetv site where the binaries and plug-ins are hosted.
Old 05-13-2023, 01:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
I don't know what features are supported or even if you can set this up for free, but Github has "Discussions".

https://docs.github.com/en/discussions

If not on the google/sagetv Github with the project source code, then on the opensagetv site where the binaries and plug-ins are hosted.
This is a great suggestion. It seems it is free and I would suggest if we go this route we would use the opensagetv github so we as a community have more control.

Here is a blog post with examples...

https://github.blog/2022-01-13-how-f...b-discussions/

k
Old 05-13-2023, 04:22 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
This is a great suggestion. It seems it is free and I would suggest if we go this route we would use the opensagetv github so we as a community have more control.

Here is a blog post with examples...

https://github.blog/2022-01-13-how-f...b-discussions/

k
I actually have owner privileges for OpenSageTV but would need/want help on how to organize it. Stuckless is the only other owner currently.
Old 05-13-2023, 06:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
No.
In a really simple version, what are you looking for the community to do for us to continue having access to previous and new info/exchanges going forward, as I'm not quite clear about this.
On June 1st, is it the community who needs to have come up with a solution, plan, budget, direction?

I use this forum daily (below) and find it easy to navigate, communicate, exchange ideas etc. Do you recognize the formatting - platform?

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php

I'm trying to get some info from their sys admin about how it runs, cost etc...
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 05-14-2023 at 02:23 AM.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
I actually have owner privileges for OpenSageTV but would need/want help on how to organize it. Stuckless is the only other owner currently.
If this is the decided forum approach I would be willing to assist as an owner/moderator. It would be great if Opus4 (Andy) would also function in this role as he has for as long as I have been involved.

But first we need more feedback and have to determine how as a community we make a decision like this as we don't want to head in multiple directions for sure.

Should we create a poll for the options currently suggested in this thread so far..is it majority rules? Or do we ask for volunteers to setup the new forums and based on skill set we make the decision based on what the volunteers are willing and able to support?

Thoughts

k

Last edited by jusjoken; 05-13-2023 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
In a really simple version, what are you looking for the community to do for us to continue having access to previous and new info/exchanges going forward, as I'm not quite clear about this.
On June first, is it the community who needs to have come up with a solution, plan, budget, direction?

I use this forum daily (below) and find it easy to navigate, communicate, exchange ideas etc. Do you recognize the formatting - platform?

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php

I'm trying to get some info from their sys admin about how it runs, cost etc...
The forum you linked to is based on the Xenforo platform.

https://xenforo.com/

I believe its a paid solution.

k
Old 05-13-2023, 08:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
If this is the decided forum approach I would be willing to assist as an owner/moderator. It would be great if Opus4 (Andy) would also function in this role as he has for as long as I have been involved.

But first we need more feedback and have to determine how as a community we make a decision like this as we don't want to head in multiple directions for sure.
I would trust whatever you decide.
Old 05-14-2023, 02:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

Will the archived forum be searchable similarly to the current search capabilities?
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 05-14-2023, 02:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The forum you linked to is based on the Xenforo platform.

https://xenforo.com/

I believe its a paid solution.

k
Okay, I’ll hopefully know the details in a day or two, and will report back.
Did you like the format?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 05-14-2023, 02:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCRUser View Post
Will the archived forum be searchable similarly to the current search capabilities?
That’s what I’d like to know as well
Old 05-14-2023, 04:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
I would trust whatever you decide.
Same Here.
Old 05-14-2023, 05:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCRUser View Post
Jeff has already stated no... At least not from within the site. However, he said you could use Google to search the site (which is something I often do now as the site search has limits).

k
Old 05-14-2023, 07:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
You are correct for new discussions...somebody else needs to come up with a new option or it'll end up being Google Groups.

I will definitely keep a static copy of the existing forums alive for archival purposes...I am allowed to do that. So please don't try to download your own copies of the forums right now...it's just going to slow down my work trying to create the official archive of them.
ok, but if and when we can, please let us know. June 1st is coming awfully soon.

Last edited by tvmaster2; 05-14-2023 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-14-2023, 07:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Should we create a poll for the options currently suggested in this thread so far..is it majority rules? Or do we ask for volunteers to setup the new forums and based on skill set we make the decision based on what the volunteers are willing and able to support?

Thoughts

k
Yes for me as well, but a poll would at least solidify the concept from future doubt. I wish we had six months instead of two weeks though
Volunteers abilities are the best way I imagine? Without that we’re pretty stuck…
Old 05-14-2023, 08:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Unless someone has other options, what do people think of Discord, as opposed to google groups? I don't remember if anyone had another hosting option posted previously.

Discussions there are less threaded, but there are thread and pseudo forum channel options there.
I don’t know anything about ‘Discord’, is the link I’m posting the right place?
If not, can you post a link to a good example of a Discord forum…

https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/s...itro%20service.