SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 10-11-2021, 07:25 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Where is fuzzy ?
It is not clear to me.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 10-11-2021, 07:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
It is not clear to me.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:33 AM
Sage User

I watch mostly OTA and my SageTV system has been amazingly stable over all these years. And while I've tried Plex and ChannelsDVR with the assumption I'll need to drop Sage at some point, they just don't offer enough to convince me to switch -- especially since I'd have to pay to do so.

Perhaps I am lucky, but my system requires little to no maintenance on my part. Any issues I've had were self-inflicted as I attempted various experiments.

If I had to switch today, I'd go with ChannelsDVR. But as of right now, my SageTV system just keeps chugging along.

Oh, and kudos to jvl711 so I don't even have to worry about my old HD200 dying!
Old 10-11-2021, 01:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It is not clear to me.
Maybe we didn’t buy him enough beer….
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 10-11-2021, 02:23 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Maybe we didn’t buy him enough beer….
Or maybe too much...
Old 10-13-2021, 05:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
... or the loss of Youtube TVE entirely ...
I was in the Channels DVR forum today and noticed that some users are getting Youtube TV via TVE to work with a couple different methods. My original post wasn't accurate in this regard, and the developers there do work hard at times to find workarounds for issues like this.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
I was in the Channels DVR forum today and noticed that some users are getting Youtube TV via TVE to work with a couple different methods. My original post wasn't accurate in this regard, and the developers there do work hard at times to find workarounds for issues like this.
But it sounds just like Sage, especially in the early days - geeky guys doing hacks, workarounds, rejigging, battling DRM regulations....flavor of the day. I've already got one nerd-system that needs continual attention, and that's plenty for now. Maybe when more Canadian viewers can use the system without 'workarounds', will it be interesting.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 10-15-2021, 11:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am not leaving just yet. I discovered where SageTV can use channelsdvr as an iptv video source. I have been using this for the past few days and it seems to work well.

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=66
Old 10-16-2021, 10:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
But it sounds just like Sage, especially in the early days - geeky guys doing hacks, workarounds, rejigging, battling DRM regulations....flavor of the day. I've already got one nerd-system that needs continual attention, and that's plenty for now. Maybe when more Canadian viewers can use the system without 'workarounds', will it be interesting.
I don't think we need to use any workarounds in Canada unless you consider the HD-PVR a workaround. Is there any difference between Canada and the US other than the availability of CableCARDs? And that appears to be going away in the US.

I moved to SageTV from Windows MCE as there was no way to get HD content into MCE other than OTA. It was many years until MCE supported HD capture devices like the HD-PVR. And MCE extenders died out, except for the Xbox.

I find that my system currently needs very little attention. I am on unRAID and the problem is that I am way behind on my unRAID OS version and the drivers needed for the HD-PVR use a different methodology so I might need to do a bit of playing around to get that working on more recent versions. But I might just build a new server to do all of that.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Another Cauck here. I use only OTA for my setup. I got sick of Shaw screwing with my recording abilities. Thankfully live in location with enough channels to feed my viewing habit. For now, I won't support any of the media corps. What they have to offer isn't any better in most cases. It is mostly a matter of them controlling our viewing & reaching into our wallet for the privledge of access. Alot of the content leaves much to be desired. I am not into the violence or other mind** going on. It is a good excuse to wean myself off the boobtube & do other more productive things with my time. Who knows might be able to catch up on my reading!

P.S. I have been using SageTV since ver 3 - 4 era

Old 11-09-2021, 04:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxysurfer View Post
For now, I won't support any of the media corps.
Bell owns CTV and Corus (Shaw) owns Global, you can't avoid supporting them.

Martin
Old 11-09-2021, 08:37 PM
SageTVaholic

If you don't watch sports there isn't much reason to subscribe to TV anymore as you can watch pretty much everything through streaming services.

But it is hard to not support media corps, your internet service is likely from Shaw or Telus if you live in Calgary.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
If you don't watch sports there isn't much reason to subscribe to TV anymore as you can watch pretty much everything through streaming services.

But it is hard to not support media corps, your internet service is likely from Shaw or Telus if you live in Calgary.
Respectfully, totally disagree. It’s so much easier to watch ANYTHING from my TiVo or Sage then it is from streaming. Stuttering, shifting resolutions based on prime-time bandwidth assaults, repeated re-signing in to things I should NEVER have to sign in more than once to….sorry, streaming largely is WAY inferior…..
Old 11-10-2021, 05:56 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
sorry, streaming largely is WAY inferior…..
Not when you van record the stream and play it back locally.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 11-10-2021, 08:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
If you don't watch sports there isn't much reason to subscribe to TV anymore as you can watch pretty much everything through streaming services. .
News programs are also hard to get streaming. I don't watch sports, but do watch several news shows and CSPAN.. There is also an oddball PBS station that is cable-only. And I only watch what I can record, whether that be via Sage, PlayOn, or anything else that can conveniently do the job. Just not a fan of relying on real-time watching via streaming.
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCRUser View Post
News programs are also hard to get streaming. I don't watch sports, but do watch several news shows and CSPAN.. There is also an oddball PBS station that is cable-only. And I only watch what I can record, whether that be via Sage, PlayOn, or anything else that can conveniently do the job. Just not a fan of relying on real-time watching via streaming.
I can see why you are Still a VCR User ..
Old 11-10-2021, 10:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Not when you van record the stream and play it back locally.
Okay, fair point. And that’s in 5.1 audio? How are you recording the stream? But if you’re recording a stream, we’ll, aren’t we back to TiVo again?
Old 11-10-2021, 10:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Ditto. And streaming just results in too damn many bills to pay: Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Peacock, CBS, Apple +…. just one cable bill, maybe a second satellite charge as well. And no signing-in on a remote control that wants you to create passwords like 1234. lol.
Old 11-13-2021, 03:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I can see why you are Still a VCR User ..
Actually, the VCRs are now used to digitize my "keeper" VHS tapes (of which I have far too many!); I now use Sage & Playon to build & maintain my video library - but rarely watch or stream stuff live. But I have kept the handle to honor my origins. Gradually moving the vhs tapes out of the house - fortunately, the Good Will accepts them, since I can't find any other venue. I hope they don't just end up in the garbage.
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Actually, the VCRs are now used to digitize my "keeper" VHS tapes (of which I have far too many!); I now use Sage & Playon to build & maintain my video library - but rarely watch or stream stuff live. But I have kept the handle to honor my origins. Gradually moving the vhs tapes out of the house - fortunately, the Good Will accepts them, since I can't find any other venue. I hope they don't just end up in the garbage.
same here - I grabbed three or four SVHS machines from thrift stores for $5 each before they were gone. Still haven’t got around to digitizing the 200 music video tapes from the 80’’s & 90’s. lol. And when I’m done with them, my thirty-something nephew & wife will take all of it from me in a flash - some kind of retro-love thing their into