SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Batch Metadata Tools
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Batch Metadata Tools This forums is for discussing the user-created Batch Metadata Tools for SageTV.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
NEXTPVR is ok but there is no real full featured Android Client ... I would have to install KODI which I really do not like ... and KODI has to be sideloaded on FireTV. Too much of a hassle.
IMO the UI isn't the most important thing, I want reliable, recording, comskip and solid live TV with a few clicks. SageTV won't win any design awards but it is functional. I detest Emby yet many people like it, there certainly isn't on UI to rule them all

Kodi's big advantage after the competition come's running LibreElec and CoreElec, you don't need the O/S bloat. I've started to really dislike the Android, Google Chromecast, Amazon and Apple TV launchers. Sure they are pretty but I'd rather start watching my recordings when I turn the box on.

As for platforms when I release my Roku client I think NextPVR has clients for everyone, Channels DVR doesn't have PC or Roku clients. Better some clients then none.

For me if TVDB stops providing free art it wouldn't be the end of the world. There is a bug in Schedules Direct and it has been providing real crap for new shows via the API for a while, and yet I am the only one that complained to SD. It makes me wonder how many people really even look at the pretty pictures.

Martin
Old 03-13-2021, 05:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by emveepee View Post

For me if TVDB stops providing free art it wouldn't be the end of the world. There is a bug in Schedules Direct and it has been providing real crap for new shows via the API for a while, and yet I am the only one that complained to SD. It makes me wonder how many people really even look at the pretty pictures.

Martin
I don't use fanart. For me, it's just clutter that takes up cpu cycles to display, disk space to store, and gets in the way of the text, which is what I want to see: name/date/episode number, cast, description, etc., I do sometimes look at cast photos shown under IMDB, though, if I'm trying to figure out who was who in a show.
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
IMO the UI isn't the most important thing, I want reliable, recording, comskip and solid live TV with a few clicks. SageTV won't win any design awards but it is functional. I detest Emby yet many people like it, there certainly isn't on UI to rule them all

Kodi's big advantage after the competition come's running LibreElec and CoreElec, you don't need the O/S bloat. I've started to really dislike the Android, Google Chromecast, Amazon and Apple TV launchers. Sure they are pretty but I'd rather start watching my recordings when I turn the box on.

As for platforms when I release my Roku client I think NextPVR has clients for everyone, Channels DVR doesn't have PC or Roku clients. Better some clients then none.

Martin
Also moving from SageTV or even Channels DVR to NEXTPVR you will find that the DVR is lacking .. I like the DVR to do the work for me. For example I do not know the names of New Shows that are coming up so I simply set a favorite(Pass) to record New Shows on Certain Channels during Prime time. Also I like being able to record by actor ... Genre time of day etc..
Old 03-13-2021, 07:07 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Martin
Care less about the fan art also.
I use the TVDB lookup from BMT for the TV Imports I do to get the episode descriptions.

Still use the old "Sage3" UI package on for our viewing on the HDx00s
Old 03-14-2021, 10:35 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Also moving from SageTV or even Channels DVR to NEXTPVR you will find that the DVR is lacking .. I like the DVR to do the work for me. For example I do not know the names of New Shows that are coming up so I simply set a favorite(Pass) to record New Shows on Certain Channels during Prime time. Also I like being able to record by actor ... Genre time of day etc..
Believe me the request for this type of rule is rare and there is no way in 2021 I would suggest a new user consider Sage TV against today's PVR options simply because of those features. there are too many other cons. This thread is all about how hard users need to push to hope basic functionality continues.

For the rules there is a different philosophy at play. Sage rules were zap2it and Gracenote data driven and that carries over into Scheldules Direct now. NextPVR is really based on the OTA EPG which typically doesn't provide information for those advanced rules and having them would cause confusion for many in the world, just as having a simple flag indicating a new recording does now. Channels DVR is also US only so not really an option here is Canada or in the rest of the world.

For those that really need them creating an advanced rule with SD data is not rocket science once you get the hang of it and forum members can help users get as complex as needed.

crew like "%Alfred Hitchcock%"
cast like "%Tom Hanks%
season = 1 and episode = 1 (using the new recording flag)

Martin
Old 03-22-2021, 10:03 PM
Sage Fanatic

Unfortunately this was the straw for me. Switched to Plex/Roku after 14 years with sagetv. Actually sad.

Worked with developer on MyMovies plugin, have 5 100s and 3 300s.

Tough to move on.
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
1tb 3 disk Recording Pool
all in a beautiful Antec 1200
SageMyMovies/Comskip/PlayON/SageDCT/SRE
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 03-22-2021, 11:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptheripper View Post
Unfortunately this was the straw for me. Switched to Plex/Roku after 14 years with sagetv. Actually sad.

Worked with developer on MyMovies plugin, have 5 100s and 3 300s.

Tough to move on.
what DVR will you use?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 08-27-2021, 09:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Is there enough interest and support to investigate and implement a solution for this? I believe Oct 2021 is the latest date where the old TVDB api's will stop working.

Are people interested in...
  • a TVDB solution where they subscribe to TVDB directly..i believe its about $12 annual. PS..the dev of this will get NONE of that
  • update TMDB to be used for TV scrapping ...can it now...i can't recall
  • add a new scrapper for something like TVMAZE
  • all of the above or other ideas

I could look into this after the weather work is complete if there is enough support
K
Old 08-27-2021, 10:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Is there enough interest and support to investigate and implement a solution for this? I believe Oct 2021 is the latest date where the old TVDB api's will stop working.

• a TVDB solution where they subscribe to TVDB directly..i believe its about $12 annual. PS..the dev of this will get NONE of that

I could look into this after the weather work is complete if there is enough support
K
$12 annually isn’t much for this kind of info, is it?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 08-28-2021, 08:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

K
I'd be interested and would support development.
Julie
Old 08-28-2021, 08:37 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

K
+1

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:37 AM
SageTVaholic

+2
Old 08-28-2021, 06:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

+3
HTPC: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI, I7-6700, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro x64, Hauppauge HVR-1600, WinTV-dualHD, Colossus 2, Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, Seagate 3TB, WD 3TB, 3TB, 5TB, Java v1.8.0_231, SageTVx64 v9.2.1.826, Samsung UN60EH6003F, Dish ViP222K, ViewHD 1x2 HDMI Splitter.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:13 PM
Sage User

I'm mostly using Kodi these days and it uses a really good source for TV show information -- TMDB (The Movie Database). It includes TV shows:

https://www.themoviedb.org/documenta...language=en-US
Old 08-30-2021, 09:29 PM
Sage User

+4
Old 09-07-2021, 10:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

+5
Old 09-17-2021, 08:20 AM
SageTVaholic

It is nice to see there is some support but I guess I was expecting more...but perhaps the community is just too small now, or perhaps users just do not frequent the forums.

This will be a lot of effort so I have yet to convince myself that this is the best next project for my spare time but I have started to look at what it might take to at least be able to use the TMDB provider for TV in addition to Movies. At least it would allow for metadata/fanart to be found for TV rather than no source at all. Not simple, but likely much simpler than trying to build a new version of the TVDB provider (could be done later).

I will keep an eye on this thread and likely continue to review what this might take to complete.

K
Old 09-17-2021, 08:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It is nice to see there is some support but I guess I was expecting more...but perhaps the community is just too small now, or perhaps users just do not frequent the forums.

This will be a lot of effort so I have yet to convince myself that this is the best next project for my spare time but I have started to look at what it might take to at least be able to use the TMDB provider for TV in addition to Movies. At least it would allow for metadata/fanart to be found for TV rather than no source at all. Not simple, but likely much simpler than trying to build a new version of the TVDB provider (could be done later).

I will keep an eye on this thread and likely continue to review what this might take to complete.

K
With a +5 response, yes, that’s not a lot of financial support to look forward to. It’s kinda sad that SageTV support hasn’t grown with the open-source era, but when I tell people we still use TiVo’s and subscribe to cable instead of streaming they are often surprised anyone still does that.
They don’t know what they’re missing. lol.
Thanks for being the hope….
Old 09-17-2021, 09:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
With a +5 response, yes, that’s not a lot of financial support to look forward to. It’s kinda sad that SageTV support hasn’t grown with the open-source era, but when I tell people we still use TiVo’s and subscribe to cable instead of streaming they are often surprised anyone still does that.
They don’t know what they’re missing. lol.
Thanks for being the hope….
I don't think it is about using SageTV I think it is about fanart ... I have never used fanart in SageTV. I am sure there are a lot of users that use SageTV but have never used fanart.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:37 AM
Sage Fanatic

I have never used fan art either.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)