SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:25 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdl View Post
Thanks, wnjj. I should have mentioned last night that I had tried that after doing some more research. Unfortunately, I'm still experiencing the same problem. Maybe I'm not doing something right, so perhaps you can take a look at the ls -l output for that directory and let me know?

drwxrwxr-x 1 sagetv users 41 Apr 23 2016 doc
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3378 Mar 3 07:22 gentuner
-rwxrwxr-x 1 sagetv users 3374 Mar 2 03:58 gentuner.PANELCTL
drwxrwxr-x 1 sagetv users 113 Mar 3 05:52 samples

I thought that maybe the issue was that the file was owned and available to root, but as I am logged in as root, I wouldn't think that should be a problem (I also tried it with sudo). However, that doesn't seem to be the case as the same thing happens when I try it with gentuner.PANELCTL.

Will keep thinking on this.

Shaun
Those permissions are correct and it is ok that it is owned by 'root'. Those permissions mean: user 'root' can read/write/execute, users in group 'root' can only read/execute, everyone else can only read/execute.

The default PATH variable (where to look for executables) does not by default contain the current directory. So you can either:

When in the /opt/sagetv/server/ directory:
./gentuner TUNE FW_dcx3200_3 005

Or use the full path:
/opt/sage/server/gentuner TUNE FW_dcx3200_3 005

When you are tuning from within Sage itself, the plugin will always assume the program is at the full path of /opt/sagetv/server/gentuner.

--John
Old 03-03-2019, 03:26 PM
Sage Icon

Try running ./gentuner instead. You probably don't have '.' in your current $PATH variable.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks, guys. I didn't think that path would be an issue when executing from within the same directory. Sorry for the rookie mistake.

Well, that got me a step closer, but it looks like I'm missing something:

# ./gentuner TUNE FW_dcx3200_3 005
Can't locate Getopt/Std.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Getopt::Std module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.22.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.22.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.22 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.22 /usr/share/perl/5.22 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base .) at ./gentuner line 41.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./gentuner line 41.

Will have a look at this later tonight as WAF would be very poor if I abandoned my wife to entertain our guests.

Getting close, and I really appreciate the help.

Shaun
Old 03-03-2019, 08:05 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Thanks, guys. I didn't think that path would be an issue when executing from within the same directory. Sorry for the rookie mistake.
By default it's not included for security reasons. You can add it to PATH if that makes things easier - but I would suggest NOT doing that for the root user.

Quote:
Well, that got me a step closer, but it looks like I'm missing something:

Can't locate Getopt/Std.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Getopt::Std module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.22.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.22.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.22 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.22 /usr/share/perl/5.22 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base .) at ./gentuner line 41.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./gentuner line 41.

Will have a look at this later tonight as WAF would be very poor if I abandoned my wife to entertain our guests.

Getting close, and I really appreciate the help.

Shaun
Looks like the Perl module Getopt::Std isn't installed. In Ubuntu 16.x that module is part of the perl-modules-5.22 package. That's odd because perl (which is installed) requires that module on Ubuntu 16.

Try this in the container:

apt-get install perl-modules-5.22

--John
Old 03-04-2019, 12:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwegas View Post
By default it's not included for security reasons. You can add it to PATH if that makes things easier - but I would suggest NOT doing that for the root user.

Looks like the Perl module Getopt::Std isn't installed. In Ubuntu 16.x that module is part of the perl-modules-5.22 package. That's odd because perl (which is installed) requires that module on Ubuntu 16.

--John
That definitely helped, thanks, but I ran into another issue. Had to run out the door this morning, so will update when I get home tonight.

Cheers,
Shaun
Old 03-04-2019, 02:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Sorry as I am coming to this thread late and I haven't read it too closely, but I didn't need gentuner at all. Once I was using the DVB edition of unRAID which has the FireWire drivers enabled, the FireWire was available directly in the source setup tuners for SageTV for unRAID. I am using SA3250HD or SA4250HD boxes.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Sorry as I am coming to this thread late and I haven't read it too closely, but I didn't need gentuner at all. Once I was using the DVB edition of unRAID which has the FireWire drivers enabled, the FireWire was available directly in the source setup tuners for SageTV for unRAID. I am using SA3250HD or SA4250HD boxes.
Thanks, Wayner. Yes, I followed your how-to thread to get through the initial configuration. Unfortunately, I am not using SA STBs, and the current Firewire Tuner plugin in SageTV doesn't quite work properly with Motorola boxes (I have DCX3200s). There also doesn't seem to be much information relating to how that setup works or can be configured, so I am attempting to work through implementing the Generic Tuner Plugin instead (with a great deal of excellent help from the community!). Interesting times, as I am a Linux neophyte.

The good news is that the panelctl tuning application seems to work perfectly when used from the command line, and I think I now have a properly-configured gentuner script to connect the plugin to panelctl. Unfortunately, we have run into a number of missing components in the Docker container that have delayed success. Once we determine all of what is missing, I'm hoping that we can try to get these included in a future build of the SageTV docker image.

All that said, if you happen to know anything about how the Firewire Tuner Plugin works, I'd be interested in hearing it. I'm sure that only a small change is needed to make it work for the Motorola STBs.

Cheers,
Shaun
Old 03-04-2019, 09:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwegas View Post

--John
Thanks, John.

Okay, that allowed a bit of additional progress, and then:

System call failed: /usr/local/bin/panelctl -g 0xfe47e18a 005

I checked in /usr/bin, and panelctl is present there:

# pwd
/usr/bin
# find -name panelctl
./panelctl

Not sure why this failed, unfortunately. Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,
Shaun
Old 03-04-2019, 09:56 PM
Sage User

Hey Shaun,

I have good news. I tackled this problem over a year ago when no one had a solution. I have been happily using firewire tuning for over a year now with Motorola STBs. I replaced the SA STBs code with Motorola code from both 6200ch.c and panelctl.c sources. Until your post, it appeared that no one else besides myself used Motorola STBs so I never got around to posting this. This is a drop in replacement for the FirewireTuner.so library file. Follow the 3 steps below:
  1. Copy the file FirewireTuner-Motorola.so to /opt/sagetv/server/irtunerplugins/ inside the container.
  2. Copy the file sagetv-user-script.sh to /opt/sagetv/server/ inside the container. If you already have a startup script, you will have to merge the scripts together. See Stuckless' thread about the startup script: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63592
  3. Restart SageTV.
The startup script will copy the Motorola version of the library over the default version in case a new version of SageTV overwrites it.

I have no knowledge of Java but maybe someone with some knowledge can add a configuration option to select the type/brand of STB in the future.

I have attached the two files in a zip file.

It's been over a year so if I missed anything or if you have any issues, let me know!

Enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: zip FirewireTuner-Motorola.zip (5.6 KB, 235 views)

Last edited by c5davey; 03-04-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:45 PM
Sage Expert

c5davey,
Thanks for the update! Glad you could make Shaun's life easier!

Could you post your code changes as well? I'm not sure whether they could be included in the main Sage repo or not (or as you mentioned maybe even merged into a single plugin with some UI additions), but it would be great if the changes are available in case someone wanted to tackle that.

Thanks again!

--John
Old 03-04-2019, 11:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5davey View Post
Hey Shaun,

I have good news. I tackled this problem over a year ago when no one had a solution. I have been happily using firewire tuning for over a year now with Motorola STBs. I replaced the SA STBs code with Motorola code from both 6200ch.c and panelctl.c sources. Until your post, it appeared that no one else besides myself used Motorola STBs so I never got around to posting this. This is a drop in replacement for the FirewireTuner.so library file. Follow the 3 steps below:
  1. Copy the file FirewireTuner-Motorola.so to /opt/sagetv/server/irtunerplugins/ inside the container.
  2. Copy the file sagetv-user-script.sh to /opt/sagetv/server/ inside the container. If you already have a startup script, you will have to merge the scripts together. See Stuckless' thread about the startup script: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63592
  3. Restart SageTV.
The startup script will copy the Motorola version of the library over the default version in case a new version of SageTV overwrites it.

I have no knowledge of Java but maybe someone with some knowledge can add a configuration option to select the type/brand of STB in the future.

It's been over a year so if I missed anything or if you have any issues, let me know!

Enjoy
Wow, fantastic! Thanks very much for this!

I'll give this a try tomorrow night, and will report back.

Cheers,
Shaun
Old 03-05-2019, 02:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

Well, I couldn't wait, so I applied the changes and ran a test. It worked flawlessly, so sincere thanks to C5davey for the solution. You made it so simple for novices like me.

Also, I'd like to express my huge appreciation for all those who were willing to help me reduce the amount of fumbling around I was doing in Linux, with special mention going to John (jpwegas) for all his help and patience. I really can't thank you all enough for helping to get me started.

Now, I have a bunch of testing to do, and then I will update Wayner's thread with the details as I know there were a couple of people there who were seeing the same Motorola-related issue.

Cheers,
Shaun
Old 03-05-2019, 06:57 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Thanks, John.

Okay, that allowed a bit of additional progress, and then:

System call failed: /usr/local/bin/panelctl -g 0xfe47e18a 005

I checked in /usr/bin, and panelctl is present there:

# pwd
/usr/bin
# find -name panelctl
./panelctl

Not sure why this failed, unfortunately. Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,
Shaun
Just FYI
2 different directories
The pgm was looking in /usr/local/bin
You were checking /usr/bin
Old 03-05-2019, 09:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
Just FYI
2 different directories
The pgm was looking in /usr/local/bin
You were checking /usr/bin

That's true!

Thanks,
Shaun
Old 07-19-2021, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Hey Shaun,

3. Restart SageTV.

Enjoy

Thanks this is great... I finally have my DXC3200's HDPVR's and Firewire tuning all running in a Docker. SageTV is still alive!
Old 12-22-2021, 07:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Hey Shaun,

3. Restart SageTV.

Enjoy
Is it possible to pass the -p parameter along with the channel change command to ensure the STB is powered on?

I know when I did FireWire tuning in Windows there were a few text files and registry entries invovled and there was some opportunity to control the command being sent. With this Linux setup i'm unsure how it all works and if there is any opportunity to do so.

Thanks everyone!