SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-27-2020, 10:59 PM
Sage Expert

OK after resetting my whole home network to use the same private subnet (annoying) got the device running. I can confirm that there appears to be 0 issues with HDCP and the picture quality is quite good.

Strangely, streaming wise it also wants to default to previewing in the web ui using FLV format (aka requiring flash), which threw me for a loop for a bit. . . .

That said device seems to be working fine. . . after that I installed OpenDCT, made sure to point my system Java path to be the 64 bit version and followed instructions. . .at the moment I can't seem to get Sage to show me network encoders and I'm not sure why. . .
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 Core+HT, 64GB DDR5, GeForce 1060, MSI Prestige x570 Creation Mobo, SIIG 4 port Serial PCIe Card, Win10, 1TB M.2 SSD OS HDD, 1 URay HDMI Network Encoder, 3 HD-PVR, 4 DirecTV STB serial tuned

Old 08-28-2020, 11:46 AM
Sage Expert

Just following up that I got everything working with this device pretty seamlessly and will likely try my hand at another (upgraded ones like with pass thru and what not). 0 issues so far.. . .I'm sticking it at 720p/60FPS it's definitely just as good as the component out if not better. I decided against trying 1080 since everything is all broadcast at 720p anyway.

Here's the model I'm ordering next https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3270...59012011xSYPMo
It has pass thru and 4K abilities, I'll probably save up and get like 4 of them (though I am going to need a bigger network switch).
The size being smaller and only needing 2 cables makes a huge difference when you have like 4+ tuners.
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 Core+HT, 64GB DDR5, GeForce 1060, MSI Prestige x570 Creation Mobo, SIIG 4 port Serial PCIe Card, Win10, 1TB M.2 SSD OS HDD, 1 URay HDMI Network Encoder, 3 HD-PVR, 4 DirecTV STB serial tuned

Last edited by sdsean; 08-28-2020 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Update
Old 08-28-2020, 04:54 PM
SageTVaholic

That model appears to be only 1080p.

For 4K I think you may need this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3290...52365211mPwZ2R or this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284...523652117S1Yad

It would be very interesting to see someone try to capture 4K in SageTV - I don't think that has been done yet. With ATSC 3.0 going live and HDHR ATSC 3.0 tuners coming we may see that from OTA first but I imagine the OTA is probably H.265 as well.

4K could finally drive me away from HD200 and HD300 extenders.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsean View Post
Here's the model I'm ordering next https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3270...59012011xSYPMo
It has pass thru and 4K abilities.
I have that uray h265 version of this and as noted there is no 4k. There is nothing on Rogers 4k that I would record anyway. h265 is a long way from being a standard especially for browser so I basically don't use it much. I also paid extra for pass through which in retrospect I have never used, it is in a closet with an STB.

Martin
Old 08-28-2020, 08:03 PM
SageTVaholic

@Martin - I guess you aren't a sports fan as that is one thing that is in 4K on a regular basis on Rogers. Every home Blue Jays game for the last several years, and many Leafs and Raps games as well. Sports is also pretty much the only thing that I record.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:06 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
@Martin - I guess you aren't a sports fan as that is one thing that is in 4K on a regular basis on Rogers. Every home Blue Jays game for the last several years, and many Leafs and Raps games as well. Sports is also pretty much the only thing that I record.
Verizon where we are has two 4K test channels but they only have content once every few months. Even less recently with the lack of many live sports.

--John
Old 08-29-2020, 10:14 AM
SageTVaholic

This may be one of the few advantages of the extreme vertical integration that we have in Canada.

Rogers Media owns the Toronto Blue Jays. They also own the Rogers Sportsnet Cable Sports Channel. They also have the cable monopoly in the Toronto area. Offering 4K can help them along a few of those dimensions sell higher end services.

The other big media/communications company in this part of the country is Bell Canada. In conjunction with Rogers they own MLSE, which owns the NHL, NBA and MLS teams in town. Bell Canada owns the TSN sports channel which is the other cable sports channel. And they have TV distribution via IPTV and they own the largest satellite TV distribution in Canada.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I am, (but it is harder with empty stadiums), but maybe it is my old non-HDR 4K 60" TV or my 64 year old eyes but I honestly don't notice any real difference. Rogers gave me the 4K PVR because they didn't have standard PVR's. I do notice the difference on Amazon Prime.

Martin

Last edited by emveepee; 08-29-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:13 PM
Sage User

Unless there's been some new big advances, you'll still be stuck with 2 channel audio - I asked one of the vendors and they didn't have any plans to implement such encoding. Otherwise I haven't had any other issues.

Server: Win10Pro, GigaByte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, AMD 64 x2 5600, 4GB Dual Channel RAM, 1-DCT-3416 / 2-DCX3400 via FireWire & Unisheen BM3000-HDMI Encoder, NMedia 200SA Case, Crystalfontz 632, USBUIRT, Client & Placeshifter license, 2x HD300 extenders, 2x HD200 extenders.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baudfather View Post
Unless there's been some new big advances, you'll still be stuck with 2 channel audio - I asked one of the vendors and they didn't have any plans to implement such encoding. Otherwise I haven't had any other issues.
That all that will be available I much rather see them add IR support
Old 09-01-2020, 09:14 AM
SageTVaholic

These devices seem to be made for people to create their own IPTV type of streams. Capturing cable/sat TV is not at all what these are made for so adding IR or surround sound is not likely, unless someone takes this type of product and creates a specific niche for TV capture. I far prefer the network device model compared to USB. I wonder why Hauppauge doesn't move to network connected devices?

Here is a quote that came from a product page:
Quote:
This URayCoder video encoder is ideal for broadcast video and audio, support live broadcast for Youtube, Facebook, Ustream, Livestream, Twitch, Meridix, Streamspot, Dacast, Tikilive, Netrmedi etc.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
These devices seem to be made for people to create their own IPTV type of streams. Capturing cable/sat TV is not at all what these are made for so adding IR or surround sound is not likely, unless someone takes this type of product and creates a specific niche for TV capture. I far prefer the network device model compared to USB. I wonder why Hauppauge doesn't move to network connected devices?

Here is a quote that came from a product page:
Well wayner you do know that they bypass HDCP from what I heard so no need for HDMI Splitter so there for Hauppauge can't sell them with out add HDCP
Old 09-01-2020, 11:17 AM
SageTVaholic

I do understand about the HDCP issues but I think that having the interface being network, rather than USB (or PCIe) makes it more robust. Devices like the Uray encoder or HDHR are network connected whereas the HD-PVR is a USB device and other Hauppauge devices that use PCIe (like the Colossus) are even more tied to a specific PC.

With a network device, like the Uray or HDHR, any device on your LAN can use the tuner. I have a backup SageTV server, so if my main SageTV dies the backup can take over, including using the same recording device, in a matter of a minute or two with no installation of drivers, opening cases, etc.

It is also easier to use in instances where you have a VM or a docker as you don't need a special build or to have to worry about hardware passthrough to VMs. You can also add or remove tuners without having to power down your server.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

These aren't HDHR devices. With network devices you still need to control the tuner if your STB doesn't have http tuning. I have one Rogers STB hooked up with both firewire and IR so I can connect to the host PC with networked irsend to tune it from multiple devices. Again it is not an HDHR so you can't lock the tuner when it is in use.

Martin
Old 09-01-2020, 03:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
That model appears to be only 1080p.

For 4K I think you may need this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3290...52365211mPwZ2R or this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284...523652117S1Yad

It would be very interesting to see someone try to capture 4K in SageTV - I don't think that has been done yet. With ATSC 3.0 going live and HDHR ATSC 3.0 tuners coming we may see that from OTA first but I imagine the OTA is probably H.265 as well.

4K could finally drive me away from HD200 and HD300 extenders.
I was able to capture Verizon's 4K via my Infiniti4 and SageTV without any problem. Comskip choked on it hard, but the system recorded it without any issues.

EDIT: The file sizes where RIDICULOUSLY large.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:13 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by emveepee View Post
These aren't HDHR devices. With network devices you still need to control the tuner if your STB doesn't have http tuning. I have one Rogers STB hooked up with both firewire and IR so I can connect to the host PC with networked irsend to tune it from multiple devices. Again it is not an HDHR so you can't lock the tuner when it is in use.

Martin
Good point, but I seem to recall someone got a networked ir blaster working about a year ago too.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 09-01-2020, 08:05 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
It would be very interesting to see someone try to capture 4K in SageTV - I don't think that has been done yet.
wayner,
As a test I recorded part of the 2020 SuperBowl in 4k using my HDHR Prime on the Verizon FiOS 4k test channel. The problem is of course, it wouldn't play on the HD300s. So only half the problem solved.

However, with the work that Josh has been doing recently, I have been able to view this recording using the Shield and the Android miniclient.

Sadly, there hasn't been anything on the 4k test channels in months so I haven't been able to do much more testing.

--John
Old 09-02-2020, 06:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Good point, but I seem to recall someone got a networked ir blaster working about a year ago too.
irsend works fine over the network, but a server is still needed It could be something small like a pi zero w.

Martin
Old 09-02-2020, 08:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
One other option for channel change could be the Global Cache devices such as the IP2IR (3 IR ports) and GC-100 (6 IR ports). There are some threads here about these devices. They can be expensive new but you can often find them for reasonable prices on ebay.
Old 09-02-2020, 08:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwegas View Post
wayner,
As a test I recorded part of the 2020 SuperBowl in 4k using my HDHR Prime on the Verizon FiOS 4k test channel. The problem is of course, it wouldn't play on the HD300s. So only half the problem solved.

However, with the work that Josh has been doing recently, I have been able to view this recording using the Shield and the Android miniclient.

Sadly, there hasn't been anything on the 4k test channels in months so I haven't been able to do much more testing.
Good to know that this works. Unfortunately CableCARD devices are not an option for those of us in Canada as the cable companies will not give us cable cards.

Hopefully we should soon see people trying out OTA capture of ATSC 3.0 channels as they start to go live and the HDHR ATSC 3.0 tuner starts shipping on a broader basis.

FYI the HDHR forums have a segment on ATSC 3.0 https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=133