SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFred View Post
I've added support for the WinTV-quadHD tuner in Sage 9 (Windows).

Sage sees this card as 4 tuners:
Hauppauge WinTV 885 TS Capture
Hauppauge WinTV 885 TS Capture #2
Hauppauge WinTV 885 TS Capture 2
Hauppauge WinTV 885 TS Capture 2 #2

It's been running for over a week with ATSC (OTA) input. I don't have the ability to test ClearQAM here. Multiple cards should work ok, but lack of a 2nd card has limited my testing.

If there's immediate interest to use this, the updated file for Sage9 (DShowCapture.dll) can be posted here. Otherwise, it'll take a while before the code changes are committed to Git and a proper release is built.
Hey JustFred,
I broke down and bought another QuadHD tuner and added it thinking the 2nd tuner should give me 8 tuners, and the 1st QuadHD tuner shows up as 4 tuners but the 2nd one only shows up as 2 tuners and not sure if that is due to the code for the first tuner being written for it and needed ported to the second tuner as well or if sage tv has a 6 tuner limit.

Thought I would fill everyone in.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Crap, thanks for the update though. I'm waiting on my 2 quad cards to arrive in the mail.
Redundant power supply, dual UPS's, etc
Samsung EVO 850 SSD X2 OS drives
WD 4TB Purple drive for recordings, various other drives for archives
Tuners are a work in progress
Old 07-10-2017, 05:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yep - I thought I would risk it as maybe they would fix the 2nd tuner bug
Old 07-10-2017, 08:55 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by trallyus View Post
Hey JustFred,
... the 1st QuadHD tuner shows up as 4 tuners but the 2nd one only shows up as 2 tuners and not sure if that is due to the code for the first tuner being written for it and needed ported to the second tuner as well or if sage tv has a 6 tuner limit.
I'm surprised that you're not seeing all 8 tuners with 2 cards. Sage doesn't have any explicit limit to the number of tuners. Unfortunately, I don't have a 2nd card to test with.

Please post a screen-grab of the Sage Video Sources page. Restart the SageTv service, let it run for about 60 seconds and then copy, zip & post the sagetv_0.txt log file here so I can take a look.

Also, if you can run graphedit, post screen-grabs of the sections shown here: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=23
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:28 PM
Sage Expert

Another Sage user has very generously loaned a 2nd quadHD tuner for testing. I plugged it in, loaded the drivers, restarted the computer and had no difficulty configuring all 8 tuners on the 2 boards. Testing confirms that 8 simultaneous recordings are possible. Attached are screen shots confirming the success.

I suspect that the previously-reported issue with only seeing 6 tuners is due to the somewhat confusing way the tuners are named & listed. Unfortunately, I have no control over that. The tuner names are very similar, requiring careful attention during setup. It's easy to make mistakes, thinking you've already added a particular tuner. Such is the burden when drowning in tuners

Sage identifies the four tuners on the 1st card as:

Sage identifies the four tuners on the 2nd card as:
Hauppauge WinTV 885 TS Capture #3
Hauppauge WinTV 885 TS Capture 2 #3
Hauppauge WinTV 885 TS Capture #4
Hauppauge WinTV 885 TS Capture 2 #4

When all 8 tuners are set up, Sage sorts the Video Sources list this way:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Source Setup - tuners 1-4.JPG (124.5 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg Source Setup - tuners 5-8.JPG (134.7 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg Recording 8 programs.JPG (126.5 KB, 259 views)
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.

Last edited by JustFred; 07-11-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:45 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
I'm surprised that you're not seeing all 8 tuners with 2 cards. Sage doesn't have any explicit limit to the number of tuners. Unfortunately, I don't have a 2nd card to test with.
I'm given to understand Linux has a 15(?) tuner soft-limit that requires editing a file to get past, maybe Windows has one as well?

But first we would need to know how many tuners in total he was running. Not just the quads.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monedeath View Post
I'm given to understand Linux has a 15(?) tuner soft-limit that requires editing a file to get past, maybe Windows has one as well?

But first we would need to know how many tuners in total he was running. Not just the quads.
I don't believe that's the case.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-12-2017, 04:39 AM
Sage Expert

I'm inclined to agree that it was confusion over how the UI for input source selection presents itself, but in case he verified that isn't the case. It then gives another data point to check against.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Another Sage user has very generously loaned a 2nd quadHD tuner for testing. I plugged it in, loaded the drivers, restarted the computer and had no difficulty configuring all 8 tuners on the 2 boards. Testing confirms that 8 simultaneous recordings are possible. Attached are screen shots confirming the success.

I suspect that the previously-reported issue with only seeing 6 tuners is due to the somewhat confusing way the tuners are named & listed. Unfortunately, I have no control over that. The tuner names are very similar, requiring careful attention during setup. It's easy to make mistakes, thinking you've already added a particular tuner. Such is the burden when drowning in tuners

Sage identifies the four tuners on the 1st card as:

Sage identifies the four tuners on the 2nd card as:

When all 8 tuners are set up, Sage sorts the Video Sources list this way:

Yep it was confusing so I wont rule that out JustFred and I can't check my setup just yet but thank the user who loaned you the second one as I will be looking at this post and pics more closely when I have more time as I appreciate you and the other user helping me out.

By the way, I think I may have messed up how it shows the tuners from that dang 2255 card and have to remove my tuner ini files and reinstall stuff to get it like yours as the 1st half of tuner two shows up like you mention but never shows tuner 3 and 4 of the second tuner so that is probably from me having the older 2255 tuner in there and it messing it up somehow.

I'll work on it tonight now knowing it working for you.

Last edited by trallyus; 07-12-2017 at 05:08 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Found my problem after resetting the computer to factory defaults as I had to make sure the new DirectDraw file JustFred whipped up was in place as I guess when I reported the 2nd tuner working I never re-added that thinking it was in the newest update when I updated and I guess it wasn't and once I replaced it after the factory reset I found out it was not added in to the last update yet so I put it back in the directory and it was a simple fix and glad to report that both tuners do work as long as you use that zipped file JustFred supplied and they work just like he reported :P

Not getting the sleep I need is why I am making simple mistakes and sorry folks as I appreciate all the help in the community and hope people learn from my mistakes that I mention
Old 07-14-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trallyus View Post
Found my problem after resetting the computer to factory defaults as I had to make sure the new DirectDraw file JustFred whipped up was in place as I guess when I reported the 2nd tuner working I never re-added that thinking it was in the newest update when I updated and I guess it wasn't and once I replaced it after the factory reset I found out it was not added in to the last update yet so I put it back in the directory and it was a simple fix and glad to report that both tuners do work as long as you use that zipped file JustFred supplied and they work just like he reported :P

Not getting the sleep I need is why I am making simple mistakes and sorry folks as I appreciate all the help in the community and hope people learn from my mistakes that I mention
Yup that dose kind of help to copy over the DShowCapture.dll
Old 07-14-2017, 03:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Yup that dose kind of help to copy over the DShowCapture.dll
I used Acronis to back up my drive first since it is an ssd drive so nothing lost and I have a clean wallpaper now
Old 07-22-2017, 04:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

status update for HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD working in windows & linux

Hi,

Now that we have success with the HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD working in Win what about the linux side? I was having issues getting my 2250/2255 s to work in linux so i pretty much gave up on a linux setup for now & went back to my working windows one. I would still like to find success so i can ease the tether of windows os. what is the current status on this?
Old 07-23-2017, 07:23 AM

I going make some time for that later today or with next few days for Linux now that I have killer antenna setup pulling in 40 channel daring the day light hours and 59 daring the night time hours sweet and is bad due all darn tree around me I beat it would much better if I had it 100' off the ground.
My setup Channel Master Advantage 100 (CM-3020), Channel Master Amplify 17db low setting (Advantage 100), 3’ Tripod Mount and a Dish network 7' Dig Mast (free LoL).

OPS Sorry Galaxysufer I reply you to your post not enough coffee LoL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg antenna-low.jpg (252.2 KB, 267 views)

Last edited by SHS; 07-23-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxysurfer View Post
Hi,

Now that we have success with the HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD working in Win what about the linux side? I was having issues getting my 2250/2255 s to work in linux so i pretty much gave up on a linux setup for now & went back to my working windows one. I would still like to find success so i can ease the tether of windows os. what is the current status on this?
What problems were you having with 2250/2255? I've yet to encounter ANY real problems once setup with my 2250/2255s on my unRAID Docker using the DVB plugin in unRAID. I am using 2250s on multiple unRAID dockers and my 2 2255s on only one server. The only "problem" I've encountered is the 2255s are very slow to do a channel scan (the 2250s are at least 2 times faster on the channel scans). But once the scan completes I haven't had any more problems with the 2255s.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:30 AM

Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS as long you get it full up to date it should be kennel 4.10.
WinTV-quadHD should work out the box.
WinTV-dualHD will not see below instructions.

Hauppauge's PPA installation instructions for TV tuner driver on Ubuntu 16.04 with kernel 4.4.
In Terminal, type the following or copy and paste the following lines, one by one, then click enter.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:b-rad/kernel+mediatree+hauppauge
After this first line, click enter when prompted to add this PPA.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-image-mediatree
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-mediatree
Old 07-24-2017, 08:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
My setup Channel Master Advantage 100 (CM-3020), Channel Master Amplify 17db low setting (Advantage 100), 3’ Tripod Mount and a Dish network 7' Dig Mast (free LoL).
About how many feet of coax are you running from your antenna to your server? Did you try it without the amplifier?
Old 07-24-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob23 View Post
About how many feet of coax are you running from your antenna to your server? Did you try it without the amplifier?
About 60 feet and no I didn't test with out an amp all tv tower are at lease 60+ miles all round me
I used really good stufff
RG6 Tri-Shielded,*77% Braided Cable
PCT TRS-6L Coaxial Compression Connectors
Weather Boots
By way the Channel Master Amplify is made by PCT as make some good product just like PDI and Electroline.

Last edited by SHS; 07-24-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
About 60 feet and no I didn't test with out an amp all tv tower are at lease 60+ miles all round me
I used really good stufff
RG6 Tri-Shielded,*77% Braided Cable
PCT TRS-6L Coaxial Compression Connectors
Weather Boots
By way the Channel Master Amplify is made by PCT as make some good product just like PDI and Electroline.
I would still always try without the amp first, so you can get a baseline of your signal strengths. Based on tvfool (and using just your town center, not your specific address), your weakest of the 'big networks' would be the CW out of Muskogee, with a noise margin of -4.5dB. With your big antenna's 9.5db UHF gain, that would still be enough for a single splitter (in theory). Obviously, exact location, as well as any other reflections nearby could make it worse, but that's not something an amp can fix anyway.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-24-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I would still always try without the amp first, so you can get a baseline of your signal strengths. Based on tvfool (and using just your town center, not your specific address), your weakest of the 'big networks' would be the CW out of Muskogee, with a noise margin of -4.5dB. With your big antenna's 9.5db UHF gain, that would still be enough for a single splitter (in theory). Obviously, exact location, as well as any other reflections nearby could make it worse, but that's not something an amp can fix anyway.
I'm only 1 mile from downtown center base on this
Latitude: 36.6395362 Degrees
Longitude: -95.1689637 Degrees
I like http://otadtv.com/
Don't need to I all ready test that late last year with my neighbor RCA antenna with RCA amp and w/o it hook up and did really poorly with out the amp.
CW, ION out of Muskogee is in really bad spot with small mountains and only come in good at night time which about 85% signal strengths for me my neighbor setup will not pick up at all that well.
I see about making a list with and with out amp both night time and day diff

Last edited by SHS; 07-26-2017 at 07:33 AM.