SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hauppage does have a Software Developers Toolkit for the Hauppauge TV tuners mentioned at http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support.html but not sure if it would help us
Old 02-16-2016, 09:01 AM
Sage Expert

I do see they offer "WinTV Extend" which does make the tuner into "a network device" of sorts, but through their WinTV(V7.2 or newer) software which creates an access path through http.

Probably easier to just fix SageTV's side of it in V9.

Of course, if you crack their http tuning, you get use of every Hauppauge device that works with the newer versions of WinTV.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:17 AM

I believe the problem is with in the DShowCapture.dll
Rigth now even WinTV 8 can't even make use of all the tuners
For now only apps see all tuner and that is NextPVR and SichboPVR.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monedeath View Post
I do see they offer "WinTV Extend" which does make the tuner into "a network device" of sorts, but through their WinTV(V7.2 or newer) software which creates an access path through http.

Probably easier to just fix SageTV's side of it in V9.

Of course, if you crack their http tuning, you get use of every Hauppauge device that works with the newer versions of WinTV.
With my luck they would change it on new releases. I have been sticking to what's documented so I can have the greatest chance of not having an update break everything. You usually get decent notice of changes on published API's.

I do have a few random Hauppauge tuners. I'll play with it for a day, but I have a feeling I'm not going to come to any good conclusions.

Update: Well that was fast. I only needed to read that you have to pay for the very latest. Also its support doesn't appear to span the entire Hauppauge line. That's enough to make me go the more traditional and free route.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG

Last edited by EnterNoEscape; 02-16-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:11 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
I believe the problem is with in the DShowCapture.dll
Rigth now even WinTV 8 can't even make use of all the tuners
For now only apps see all tuner and that is NextPVR and SichboPVR.
A quick peek over here:

https://github.com/google/sagetv/blo...HCWEncoder.cpp

Suggests to me that it is hard coded, and will only check for up to two devices/tuners per piece of (hauppauge) hardware. Might be as simple as someone doing a copy/paste and incrementing to 3 then 4 on the right part and have it check for 4 rather than 2, then rebuild the .dll file.

(Although that isn't a good practice to be in now, probably should shift to a loop that checks until a failure condition is met, then moves on. Saves from having to revise code later to add a 5th tuner, 6th tuner, and so on, and potentially reduces the amount of overall code. Although I could understand doing it that way back when it was just 2)

Probably a few other parts to chase down, or not. I'll let someone who actually knows what they're doing pass judgement, I just know enough to be highly dangerous.

Last edited by Monedeath; 02-16-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:39 AM

Quote:
A quick peek over here:

https://github.com/google/sagetv/blo...HCWEncoder.cpp

Suggests to me that it is hard coded, and will only check for up to two devices/tuners per piece of (hauppauge) hardware. Might be as simple as someone doing a copy/paste and incrementing to 3 then 4 on the right part and have it check for 4 rather than 2, then rebuild the .dll file.

(Although that isn't a good practice to be in now, probably should shift to a loop that checks until a failure condition is met, then moves on. Saves from having to revise code later to add a 5th tuner, 6th tuner, and so on, and potentially reduces the amount of overall code. Although I could understand doing it that way back when it was just 2)

Probably a few other parts to chase down, or not. I'll let someone who actually knows what they're doing pass judgement, I just know enough to be highly dangerous.
That is for the Hardware Encoder Setup Config for PVR 150, 250 and 350 and I'm pettey sure some new model like the HVR model 1600, 1850, 1950 to and also is in the DeviceVerify.cpp which where HVR 2250 is to.

The one I think it is, is in the DeviceDiscovery.cpp as it ref to "Hauppauge WinTV 885 TS Capture" the problem is that dosen't see "Hauppauge WinTV 885 TS Capture 2" which the 2nd tuner on very same hardware hardware id/sub-id it a dual tuner with a pair of chip make up a Quad Tuner in fact I think it going be the same problem with min dual or quad tuners. like from TBS DTV Technology devcie model.

I'm pettey sure that SageTV is build is around one device id so there each tuners has to have own id in order for sagetv to see the device.
Attached Images
File Type: png 1D16814.png (27.6 KB, 2251 views)

Last edited by SHS; 02-17-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:28 AM
Sage Expert

Looking at that(DeviceDiscovery.cpp) it seems the 885 was specifically coded for checking to see if it was a 1250/1255/1550, which was treated as something that would detect as a hybrid tuner, but wasn't to be treated as one. I doubt that conditional is involved in this issue.

Code:
if ( strstr( NewCaptureName, "Hauppauge WinTV 885 TS Capture") )
				{
					DEVICE_DRV_INF  CaptureDrvInfo={0};
					GetDeviceInfo( FilterName, &CaptureDrvInfo );
					if ( strstr( CaptureDrvInfo.device_desc, "HVR-1250") || strstr( CaptureDrvInfo.device_desc, "HVR-1255") ||
						 strstr( CaptureDrvInfo.device_desc, "HVR-1550")  )
					{
						slog((env, "it's a HVR-1250 share tuner, not a real hybride tuner! (%s) \r\n", CaptureDrvInfo.device_desc ) );				
						IsHybrideTuner = false;
					} else
					{
						slog((env, "It's a hybride tuner %s '%s'. \r\n", NewCaptureName, CaptureDrvInfo.device_desc ) );				
					}
				} else
				{
					DEVICE_DRV_INF  CaptureDrvInfo={0};
					GetDeviceInfo( FilterName, &CaptureDrvInfo );
					slog((env, "It's a hybride tuner %s '%s'. \r\n", NewCaptureName, CaptureDrvInfo.device_desc ) );					
				}
Looks like there was some further coding specific to what Sage believed to be Anysee USB tuners as well. Getting the impression it assumes USB = 1 tuner, which would explain your issue with the USB tuner if it is being picked up as a "anysee tuner"

Code:
//ZQ hard code for anysee tuner
			if ( j < numDev )
			{
				//Anysee hybrid tuners share the same loc (USB) 
				if ( !strncmp( DevName[j].FriendlyName, "anysee BDA Digital Tuner", 22 ) )
					j = numDev;
			}
Although I will admit to seeing some code in there which may suggest it is only looking for 2 tuners of any given type. But I'm not going to try to suss out the difference and purposes between pDevName and pDevName1 over my Kindle's web browser while killing some spare time, especially when I see pDevName getting used as part of an array. I'm still more inclined to think the HCWEncoder.cpp is the "better" starting point. But I haven't looked at DeviceVerify just yet, but it will likely be more on the order of what happened above for the 1250.

Edit: Not seeing anything I'd call an explicit show stopper in DeviceVerify.cpp although the hybrid and not hybrid nature of its 4 Tuners would probably warrant its own unique entry in both files(as 2 are, and 2 are not). I don't think that necessarily needs to be done to use all 4 Tuners, as it could already see two of them and the Hauppauge specific code seems to be the limiting factor here.

What's going on with the USB tuner is another matter.

Edit 4: the HCWEncoder.cpp should be handling most, if not all of the Hauppauge devices, and their interface with Hauppauge drivers. You just may need to climb around in the process/linkage tree to get there(and find everything that references there). Considering its an include for Encoder.cpp is a good sign in my book. I suspect the USB issue is in that file somewhere, I'll poke around a bit more and see what comes up. Edit, can't pursue the USB tuner further, as I don't have enough info to chase.

Last edited by Monedeath; 02-17-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:55 AM
Sage Expert

Probably due for a refresh of the contents of

https://github.com/google/sagetv/tre...arty/Hauppauge

Given the main part regarding the video capture cards themselves evidently dates to 2004.

Particularly given:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
The problem has to with that way SageTV see the WinTV-DualHD which only look at BDA Receiver Component Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD TS Capture when SageTV should be look at BDA Source Filters then it would see both Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD ATSC Tuner and Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD ATSC Tuner 2.
Of course, someone would need to determine if a refresh of the third party source is likely to be helpful in that regard, or any other respect, before creating a potential cascade of following changes.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Probably due for a refresh of the contents of

https://github.com/google/sagetv/tre...arty/Hauppauge

Given the main part regarding the video capture cards themselves evidently dates to 2004.

Particularly given:

Of course, someone would need to determine if a refresh of the third party source is likely to be helpful in that regard, or any other respect, before creating a potential cascade of following changes.
Just you know the quadHD it not USB device it is PCIe but I do have the dualHD which is a USB

Just you know that hcwECP.h for PVR 250/350 is just a small of part of hcwECP.ax which change over years over to hcwECPPP.ax on new Hardware MPEG1/2 and H264/MP4 is just for Graphedit Filter Encode Config Properties Sheet Setup see screenshot

I may not be code write hcwECP.h is in all HCWEncoder.cpp
Quote:
Edit 4: the HCWEncoder.cpp should be handling most, if not all of the Hauppauge devices, and their interface with Hauppauge drivers. You just may need to climb around in the process/linkage tree to get there(and find everything that references there). Considering its an include for Encoder.cpp is a good sign in my book. I suspect the USB issue is in that file somewhere, I'll poke around a bit more and see what comes up. Edit, can't pursue the USB tuner further, as I don't have enough info to chase.
It possable
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot.jpg (138.0 KB, 2216 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0088a.jpg (241.0 KB, 2600 views)

Last edited by SHS; 02-17-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:45 PM
Sage Expert

I knew the quad was PCIExpress. I was mentioning the USB when talking about the new USB tuner Hauppauge released. Didn't see the point in splitting across two topics for the same general issue regarding STV support for new Hauppauge tuners.

Last edited by Monedeath; 02-17-2016 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Autocomplete word change reversion
Old 02-17-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I knew the quad was PCIExpress. I was mentioning the USB when talking about the new USB tuner Hauppauge released. Didn't see the point in splitting across two topics for the same general issue regarding STV support for new Hauppauge tuners.
Ok but it would need to be done diff with dualHD as need look at
Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD ATSC Tuner
Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD ATSC Tuner 2
As there only one Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD TS Capture unlike with quadHD which has 4 TS Capture filters

Last edited by SHS; 02-17-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:38 AM

It available now on hauppauge web store for $99
Just keep in mind that it only works with WinTV 8, NextPVR and Capture4ME, SageTV works but only see two of the tuner and I'm sure it will be the same isses with most other 3rdparty apps out there.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:35 PM
Sage Expert

I'm going to snag one as an experimental project. Bearing in mind it may bear fruit anytime between weeks from now, to several years later. So nobody should be holding their breath on my account.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Any chance any of you wonderful programming types ever looked into this again? I'd love to get a new 4 tuner card and drop my old 2250s.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclenney View Post
Any chance any of you wonderful programming types ever looked into this again? I'd love to get a new 4 tuner card and drop my old 2250s.
If you're going to be buying new anyways, just go the HDHR route, and avoid the driver issues entirely.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-02-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
If you're going to be buying new anyways, just go the HDHR route, and avoid the driver issues entirely.
It not a driver issues entirely when SageTV is at fault here with new dualHD and quadHD.
Well that true in long run HDHR route maybe better option but he could always switch to Linux as the quadHD should work that way out box with latest Ubuntu 17.04 or newer
Old 06-02-2017, 12:12 PM
SageTVaholic

The way SageTV interfaces with BDA devices would benefit from a re-write to bring it up to current standards and we don't appear to have anyone able/willing to take on the task at this time. If anyone were to take on this task though, they would want to work with me along with my Scheduler2, Library and Seeker2 changes so that can take advantage of the new possibilities I will be exposing.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 06-02-2017, 09:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'll check out the other options and be watching here. Thanks.

Last edited by bclenney; 06-02-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

is the Quad card working properly with linux version of sagetv now that the tuner drivers are incorporated into 4.9 + linux kernels? I prefer internal cards to the other tuner options.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxysurfer View Post
is the Quad card working properly with linux version of sagetv now that the tuner drivers are incorporated into 4.9 + linux kernels? I prefer internal cards to the other tuner options.
I posted it before so as you can see SageTV see them but being I have no Antenna here so I can't say for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot from 2016-11-21 16-51-39.jpg (127.6 KB, 1269 views)

Last edited by SHS; 01-16-2018 at 01:55 PM.