SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Sage User

My understanding is no, client licenses are entirely different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
I hope I'm explaining this correctly.

I have a sageTV Media Center 6 license that I dont use anymore. Would it be possible to install SageTVClient_V7_1_9Setup.exe on a brand new PC, replace the respective SageTV.exe with the one provided in this thread and use my sageTV 6 Media Center license. I'm just trying to find a creative way to add an extra client to my LAN.

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Old 06-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

I have a sageTV Media Center 6 license that I dont use anymore. Would it be possible to install SageTVClient_V7_1_9Setup.exe on a brand new PC, replace the respective SageTV.exe with the one provided in this thread and use my sageTV 6 Media Center license. I'm just trying to find a creative way to add an extra client to my LAN.

Thanks in advance,
Michael
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...21&postcount=7
Check out TVExplorer
Old 06-24-2011, 02:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by limiter View Post
This is a slippery slope:
  • First it is free upgrade to ver 7
  • Then Users demand client licenses
  • Then left over HD Extenders
  • Then profit sharing
  • Then shares in google
  • Then small islands
  • Then large islands
  • Then planets, solar systems, galaxies, and universes
  • Then they demand free tacos

Mmmm... tacos.
That other stuff is all great and everything, but I'd like to know when to expect my tacos.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks sumrtym,

Has anyone actually tried using their server license (which comes with the client) on a sageTV Client installation? I would much rather install a light weight client instead of installing the entire media center software (server + client). The reason I posted in this thread is because the newer executable might allow for such flexibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumrtym View Post
My understanding is no, client licenses are entirely different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet

Thanks in advance,
Michael

***RIP SageTV***
Old 06-24-2011, 02:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks razrsharpe, but that's not what I'm trying to do. I really want to avoid having to install the entire media center software just to get a working client. sumrtym, understood my question; but, I'm not certain that this is true; and, if the circumstances are any different using the newer .exe's which offer more flexibility in using licenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharpe View Post

***RIP SageTV***
Old 06-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Awesome Awesome Awesome! I was on my LAST day of trial today. Was dreading going home this evening, uninstalling V7, re-installing V6, and the re-configuring everything. Now, it's as simple as replacing the EXE and i'm good to go!

Thanks for everything Jeff! Now I can sit back and patiently wait and look forward to whatever is coming.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Sage User

+1 - I'm stocked on licensing + extenders so I'm fine until hardware starts to break but it is SO NICE to see Jeff / Sage / Google going out of their way for the community. This gives me a much better feeling about the Google news.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Thanks sumrtym,Has anyone actually tried using their server license (which comes with the client) on a sageTV Client installation?
Doesn't work. The licenses are different.

Quote:
I have a sageTV Media Center 6 license that I dont use anymore. Would it be possible to install SageTVClient_V7_1_9Setup.exe on a brand new PC, replace the respective SageTV.exe with the one provided in this thread and use my sageTV 6 Media Center license.
Not sure, but you should be able to install the 7.1.9 server, replace the EXEs with the ones Jeff just supplied, and then just use the client portion of the "server" installation to connect to your "real" server using:
"C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\SageTV.exe" -client

Just don't enable your new "server/client" install to run sagetv as service, and I'm guessing it shouldn't use any more resources than a standard client.

Edit:
I tried using the server exes supplied by Jeff on a client install, and it wasn't able to connect with my SageTV server (Stuck at "SageTV Connection is Initializing"), so i'd so no -- you'll need to give a full server install a try.

Last edited by brainbone; 06-24-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks Jeff, I don't need this as I already have a license but it shows what you're made of.
Sage Tv Server-Amd 4200FX quad core, Asus Nvidia EN610 Hdmi out , 8 Gig Ram ,(3) HVR-1800, 3.5 terrabyte storage, Windows 8 Pro on sage 9.09 system . Media Server- 6 Terabytes on 5 drives, Amd x2 6000 8 useable gig ram on win 7 32 bit media server.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Sage Icon

thanks much. Was sorely needed by me.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Sage Fanatic

This is a nice gesture for all who haven't upgraded but what about those of us who want / need client licenses or place shifters.

Anyway this is a bad sign in my opinion for us the user base. Giving something away now doesn't really lend to the viability of the product long term. If something is going to make a profit later when business proceeds why offer it for free today...

I personally (again this is not fact) am worried about the latest. If HD300's were for sale again and it was business as usual I think we would all breathe a sigh of relief. Until then I and most of us are on pins and needles.
Thanks!

Neil
Old 06-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Sage Expert

Neil, I disagree, giving away licenses is a step in the right direction. Clearly Sage as we know it is dead. Google may be using some of these features in another product, but this incarnation of Sage is over. Thus, any little bit that can help keep our systems going a bit longer is much appreciated.

The other piece of this is extenders. It would be nice to get a non-DRMed HD300 firmware version that people can play around with and attempt to get working on other sigma-based devices. If that was possible, I think it would essentially satisfy those of us that want more extenders or future replacements.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Sage Icon

I knew Jeff would come through for the community.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks Jeff. This is why I know you have our back. Now bring on the next version of STV as Google TV 3.0 with Media Server!
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 06-24-2011, 08:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks for letting me know! If I had a spare PC, I would have tried it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbone View Post
Doesn't work. The licenses are different.

Not sure, but you should be able to install the 7.1.9 server, replace the EXEs with the ones Jeff just supplied, and then just use the client portion of the "server" installation to connect to your "real" server using:
"C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\SageTV.exe" -client

Just don't enable your new "server/client" install to run sagetv as service, and I'm guessing it shouldn't use any more resources than a standard client.

Edit:
I tried using the server exes supplied by Jeff on a client install, and it wasn't able to connect with my SageTV server (Stuck at "SageTV Connection is Initializing"), so i'd so no -- you'll need to give a full server install a try.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 06-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Sage Icon

Check out the HD300 prices on that auction site that starts with an e and ends with Bay.

Who knew client licenses would be so valuable..
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 06-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Exclamation

While I don't need this, awesome move for the rest of the users. Thanks Sage/Google!
Old 06-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Sage User

Jeff, mega-thanks from this Sage addict. Been with you since v2 -- but still running a super-stable V6 configuration and was wondering what I would do after the expected failure of my 2004-vintage server. Now I can almost look forward to it!

Best of luck with your upcoming adventures.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

Like many others here, I already purchased ver. 7, but I think this is an awesome gesture by Jeff that will help many others tremendously. Thanks once again Jeff for looking out for the community. I really appreciate your thoughtfulness and this gives me some hope that all is not lost.

Last edited by checkbin; 06-25-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Sage User

If you saw mail from Phil Avery, that's me, and this solves my problem, thanks!