SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
I don't think you should really worry about users installing both - especially if you can quickly determine that they are both there, then wash your hands of it until they only have one.
That's my issue, it's not easily determined. In most cases I end up getting, "hey SJQ isn't working right, please help." Hours or days later I'd finally be able to figure out that the user has got class file collisions in their classpath. It just takes too long to figure that out, in most cases.

Quote:
But if you can provide an old school V6 style zip file that V3 users can install and use (outside of the plugin system) that would probably do the trick - that would solve both of my issues (re-install ability and not getting 'Plugin Version Updates'). The first rule in responsible programming, especially when putting out a new version, is don't throw your existing users under the bus! Of course, paid users have more of a right to gripe about ending up under the bus, and since V3 was free I'm not griping, just throwing some options out there.

btl.
I will provide the last SJQv3 plugin manifest (via PM for now, but I'll post it in my svn repository and supply a link). Anyone wishing to stay at v3 simply needs to take that manifest, change the version number in it from 3.1.0.930 to 100.0.0.0, merge it into their Sage server's SageTVPluginsDev.xml, go to the plugin manager in Sage and install the "v100.0.0.0" update. This is unsupported and, of course, there will be no more updates to SJQv3, but users wishing to stay at SJQv3 and don't want to receive plugin update messages about v4 can do this.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 12-14-2010, 12:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuszkie View Post
Is it as simple as changing

clnt.addTask("MVMEDIA", Factory.getMap(mediaFile));
MediaFileAPI.SetMediaFileMetadata(mediaFile, SJQ4_QUEUED, "1");

to

clnt.addTask("COMSKIP", Factory.getMap(mediaFile));
MediaFileAPI.SetMediaFileMetadata(mediaFile, SJQ4_QUEUED, "1");

As well as changing the some of the other criterion... As I understand it... this will add all the media files (which match whatever criterion I set) as a task? such that if I had multiple clients they would be assigned out?

Jim
Yes, as long as your task client is running as a plugin on the SageTV server. If it's not then you need to add the sjq-common and somf jar files to your task client's classpath (and then it'll work). Do this by downloading the jars from my project site if you're running the standalone task client or if you're running on a SageClient as a plugin then install the sjq-common and Sage Object Metadata Factory plugins on your SageClient.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
I will provide the last SJQv3 plugin manifest (via PM for now, but I'll post it in my svn repository and supply a link). Anyone wishing to stay at v3 simply needs to take that manifest, change the version number in it from 3.1.0.930 to 100.0.0.0, merge it into their Sage server's SageTVPluginsDev.xml, go to the plugin manager in Sage and install the "v100.0.0.0" update. This is unsupported and, of course, there will be no more updates to SJQv3, but users wishing to stay at SJQv3 and don't want to receive plugin update messages about v4 can do this.
Sounds perfect! Thanks Slugger.
btl.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesquid View Post
Well I've got a client machine using the service version and throwing up the errors I posted earlier. I've no idea what to do, I did remove the task from the client so the server could get on with the tasks. What info can I provide to help sort out the problem?
I can reproduce it and will have to dig into it some more to fix the logging, but the task client still works (at least for me). You should be able to use it. Did you register it with the SJQ server after you started it? Does it show up as online? If not, the sjq.log file in SageTV/plugins/sjq/ should show the error as to why it couldn't move it to ONLINE (it takes up to 2 mins after registration for the server to ping it and move it to online state).
Old 12-14-2010, 12:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCrew View Post
How would one fire off a .bat file and feed it parameters with V4?

EDIT:

Also, How does one send cl options to the COMSKIP.EXE ?
When you create a task for a task client, just use the .bat file as the executable name.

Command line options are specified using the Command Arguments option. If you want access to the SJQ variables then they are available as environment variables. Access to the env vars is discussed here.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Yes, as long as your task client is running as a plugin on the SageTV server. If it's not then you need to add the sjq-common and somf jar files to your task client's classpath (and then it'll work). Do this by downloading the jars from my project site if you're running the standalone task client or if you're running on a SageClient as a plugin then install the sjq-common and Sage Object Metadata Factory plugins on your SageClient.
So I guess this requires a 2nd task...

1 to queue up the comskip tasks and
2 to actually run the comskip.

That means I need the licensed version?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I can reproduce it and will have to dig into it some more to fix the logging, but the task client still works (at least for me). You should be able to use it. Did you register it with the SJQ server after you started it? Does it show up as online? If not, the sjq.log file in SageTV/plugins/sjq/ should show the error as to why it couldn't move it to ONLINE (it takes up to 2 mins after registration for the server to ping it and move it to online state).
Yup, client is green, connected, happy. Create the same exact task as on the server and getting returned as status. The UI logs seem to be blank again so I can't figure out what to look at to diagnose much less fix.... Any ideas? Using the service client....
Old 12-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have no idea if how I'm using the UI is how it's intended to be used, but as I'm having troubles, troubleshooting made easy would be a useful feature, so I have a couple ideas for ease of use that I'd like to just throw out there. So more wish list than anything more concrete:
- on the queued task screen it would be helpful to have the SJQ4_Last_Segment on the first screen to help identify the show at issue without having to drill down into metadata To see a bunch of the same task name listed without that isn't terribly helpful to me in deciding if I want to do something about it, delete it, etc.

- Instead of delete y/n as the only option with the tasks how about a forced refresh, re-read the script and restart the job type of option as well. Would make troubleshooting/testing much faster than having to go back in and reselect the show and drill down... or maybe it already will do that on its own and I'm not waiting long enough?

- On the client screen, how about adding an option to view the client logs? I realize they may be in different places for different people, but an option to plug in that location one time would make the UI much more complete for troubleshooting ... or maybe there's a way to see that I can't find?

- Same comment regarding tasks, it would be nice when drilling down to view active tasks to be able to do more than just delete, jumping to the task details would be nice to be able to restart, delete, etc but know which show we're dealing with, a comskip-33 doesn't mean much on it's own.... (same thing on complete page, if it's completed as failed I'm going to want to know more, not just delete it)
Old 12-14-2010, 03:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I have no idea if how I'm using the UI is how it's intended to be used, but as I'm having troubles, troubleshooting made easy would be a useful feature, so I have a couple ideas for ease of use that I'd like to just throw out there. So more wish list than anything more concrete:
- on the queued task screen it would be helpful to have the SJQ4_Last_Segment on the first screen to help identify the show at issue without having to drill down into metadata To see a bunch of the same task name listed without that isn't terribly helpful to me in deciding if I want to do something about it, delete it, etc.

- Instead of delete y/n as the only option with the tasks how about a forced refresh, re-read the script and restart the job type of option as well. Would make troubleshooting/testing much faster than having to go back in and reselect the show and drill down... or maybe it already will do that on its own and I'm not waiting long enough?

- On the client screen, how about adding an option to view the client logs? I realize they may be in different places for different people, but an option to plug in that location one time would make the UI much more complete for troubleshooting ... or maybe there's a way to see that I can't find?

- Same comment regarding tasks, it would be nice when drilling down to view active tasks to be able to do more than just delete, jumping to the task details would be nice to be able to restart, delete, etc but know which show we're dealing with, a comskip-33 doesn't mean much on it's own.... (same thing on complete page, if it's completed as failed I'm going to want to know more, not just delete it)
Great feedback. I'll look into this, but almost certainly not until after the Christmas Holidays. I'm getting ready for a few days away from home and then some more holiday cheer.

Feel free to open issues or ask for enhancements/changes here: http://code.google.com/p/sagetv-addons/issues/list

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuszkie View Post
So I guess this requires a 2nd task...

1 to queue up the comskip tasks and
2 to actually run the comskip.

That means I need the licensed version?
Correct, if you want to queue up comskip tasks like this. Alternatively, you can simply attach comskip tasks to favourites or to the RecordingStarted or RecordingStopped event. This would only require one task.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yup, client is green, connected, happy. Create the same exact task as on the server and getting returned as status. The UI logs seem to be blank again so I can't figure out what to look at to diagnose much less fix.... Any ideas? Using the service client....
So now we need the logging fixed on the standalone client. Most likely, it's a problem with the ability to read the groovy script. If you're running the service version and your groovy scripts are on a UNC (network) path, did you change the user the service runs as to something that has network access? By default, the service will run as LocalSystem, which can't read from/write to network shares.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
So now we need the logging fixed on the standalone client. Most likely, it's a problem with the ability to read the groovy script. If you're running the service version and your groovy scripts are on a UNC (network) path, did you change the user the service runs as to something that has network access? By default, the service will run as LocalSystem, which can't read from/write to network shares.
That's the kind of little gem I'd love to see in the setup docs! Worked like a charm to get the next step going.

But then I go look at completed tasks and they all show failed (from server client not the one mentioned recently). Looking at the UI logs I'm just seeing the log4j:Configured Logging for sagex-api using file.... I assume that it's just showing failed because of the logging issue you're already aware of, not because it's not picking up on the comskip return code?

EDIT: spoke to soon, task shows failed without starting a comskip.exe... about 30 seconds after showing running... Any suggestions on the next step?

Last edited by bikesquid; 12-14-2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: overly anxious
Old 12-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
The instructions are unfortunately not all in one place, you're almost done, now go here:http://code.google.com/p/sagetv-addo...i/Sjq4Comskip1
BikeSquid Thanks - In the doc (which was a help) it says a new doc will come to show how you can get it to execute comskip after each recording, do you have that doc created or someone else? Id like to run each time a recording has finished. Thanks
Old 12-14-2010, 04:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That's the kind of little gem I'd love to see in the setup docs! Worked like a charm to get the next step going.

But then I go look at completed tasks and they all show failed (from server client not the one mentioned recently). Looking at the UI logs I'm just seeing the log4j:Configured Logging for sagex-api using file.... I assume that it's just showing failed because of the logging issue you're already aware of, not because it's not picking up on the comskip return code?

EDIT: spoke to soon, task shows failed without starting a comskip.exe... about 30 seconds after showing running... Any suggestions on the next step?
If they're running on the local task client then have a look at the sjqagent.log file for hints, if they're not, force them to so we can get the logging on the client side. Either there's a problem locating/running comskip.exe or comskip.exe itself is failing. If the former, then sjqagent.log should tell us that. If the latter, then any output generated by comskip.exe should be available for viewing in the task logs from the STV. The logging issues on the service client wouldn't affect this nor should it stop output from being logged back to the server (but if it's a problem locating comskip.exe then that won't be logged on the service and is why we need to force it to run on the local client for now).
Old 12-14-2010, 04:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunny View Post
BikeSquid Thanks - In the doc (which was a help) it says a new doc will come to show how you can get it to execute comskip after each recording, do you have that doc created or someone else? Id like to run each time a recording has finished. Thanks
Follow that example completely. When you get to this screenshot:

http://sagetv-addons.googlecode.com/...dd_to_favs.jpg

Just set it to run the tasks on RecordingStopped instead of RecordingStarted; everything else is the same.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
While I try to be helpful I'm pretty much the wrong person to be providing assistance. With that said, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but if my guess is correct, go to the sjq UI - assign tasks to events - (you should see your created comskip task on the right and the trigger on the left, select recording stopped on the left and check your comskip task on the right, hit close and any new recordings should run after they are done... at least that's how I understand it.....
Old 12-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
If they're running on the local task client then have a look at the sjqagent.log file for hints, if they're not, force them to so we can get the logging on the client side. Either there's a problem locating/running comskip.exe or comskip.exe itself is failing. If the former, then sjqagent.log should tell us that. If the latter, then any output generated by comskip.exe should be available for viewing in the task logs from the STV. The logging issues on the service client wouldn't affect this nor should it stop output from being logged back to the server (but if it's a problem locating comskip.exe then that won't be logged on the service and is why we need to force it to run on the local client for now).
I'm not sure I get it... scratch that... I'm sure I don't get it.

Two seperate issues I think....
The client not yet running comskip is a remote PC, using the service variant to access the server. Are you saying I should install a sage client on that pc and then install the sjq client plugin? These tasks do show as failed, the UI reports the logs are empty.

I do have the task running on the physical server via the plugin variant and those are showing failed as well, though comskip files are generated. The UI log for those tasks is the "LOG4J: Configured Logging for: sagex-api using file: sagex-api.log3j.properties" The log for executable says none exists. The comskip output does exist, so I'm not sure what the 'failed' is indicating.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm not sure I get it... scratch that... I'm sure I don't get it.

Two seperate issues I think....
The client not yet running comskip is a remote PC, using the service variant to access the server. Are you saying I should install a sage client on that pc and then install the sjq client plugin? These tasks do show as failed, the UI reports the logs are empty.
Nope. Just stop the task client on this remote machine so the tasks can only run on the other client. Without the logging working, it's hard to say what the problem is. My guess is that the location of the comskip.exe is the problem (since there is no log output being registered).

Quote:
I do have the task running on the physical server via the plugin variant and those are showing failed as well, though comskip files are generated. The UI log for those tasks is the "LOG4J: Configured Logging for: sagex-api using file: sagex-api.log3j.properties" The log for executable says none exists. The comskip output does exist, so I'm not sure what the 'failed' is indicating.
Is the edl being generated? Does the sjqagent.log file on this client show any errors for running those tasks? comskip.exe is one of those funny programs that returns 1 on success instead of zero, you need to configure the max return code for the task to be 1 and then the tasks should be considered successful.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Follow that example completely. When you get to this screenshot:

http://sagetv-addons.googlecode.com/...dd_to_favs.jpg

Just set it to run the tasks on RecordingStopped instead of RecordingStarted; everything else is the same.
I guess im not saying it correctly sorry, what I mean is instead of having to turn it on for each favorite like the when the service ran under the old version. How do I set it so after each recording it runs, so I don't have to set it on each of my favorites. Is there away?
Old 12-14-2010, 07:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I guess im not saying it correctly sorry, what I mean is instead of having to turn it on for each favorite like the when the service ran under the old version. How do I set it so after each recording it runs, so I don't have to set it on each of my favorites. Is there away?
If you want to run comskip against all recordings go to Setup -> Sage Job Queue -> Assign Tasks to Events. Then select "RecordingStopped" on the left side of the panel and check your "comskip task" on the right panel. Then each time the RecordingStopped event fires your comskip task will be queued.

Is that what you are trying to do?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.