SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
I think it's worth mentioning at this point that one of the key goals of SJQv4 (for me) was to get out of maintaining a custom scripting environment (which is what the old SJQv3 rulesets and client configs were). Instead, I'm providing the scripting/automation environment and the burden of scripting solutions for tasks falls on the user. With that said, I'm more than willing to write some scripts for some tasks, but be aware that:
  • Scripting solutions for tasks is not a priority
  • My priority (for SJQv4) is providing and maintaining the environment
My hope is once we get going that some other users will start to contribute their scripts for common tasks. Until then, I`ll help out where I can, but do not expect fast turn around times, especially during the holidays.
My Goal it to NOT write scripts.. Just edit them.
The two things I see missing that were in the old SJQ is the ability to run all the recordings through SJQ and the file cleaner. I'll look at the other plugin you mentioned for the file cleaner equivalent..
I also think I'll miss the web interface.

Can you post a way to go back to V3? Maybe throw the V3 plugin back in under a new name so it can co-exist with V4? the more I think about it...
I like the web interface better... I'm usually in front of a computer... I don't want to have to turn on the TV to find out how the queue is doing...

I don't want to seem like I'm ungrateful for the continued development. If you would have done it this way from the start, then I wouldn't have known better. I'm probably in the minority here.. but so far I like V3 better and I'd like a way to go back.

Jim
Old 12-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I think it's worth mentioning at this point that one of the key goals of SJQv4 (for me) was to get out of maintaining a custom scripting environment (which is what the old SJQv3 rulesets and client configs were). Instead, I'm providing the scripting/automation environment and the burden of scripting solutions for tasks falls on the user. With that said, I'm more than willing to write some scripts for some tasks, but be aware that:
  • Scripting solutions for tasks is not a priority
  • My priority (for SJQv4) is providing and maintaining the environment
My hope is once we get going that some other users will start to contribute their scripts for common tasks. Until then, I`ll help out where I can, but do not expect fast turn around times, especially during the holidays.
If only I'd known that before I donated. Without a basic script that gets that most basic v3 function of 'scan directory and do stuff based on what's found' running it's useless to me, (not really, but I'm cranky).... I'd likely still have donated as I appreciate the outstanding support I've always gotten to my issues in the past, but it wouldn't be a priority....
Old 12-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Slugger or anyone else if this is the wrong thread please tell me. I was running the SJQV3 version. I now have the SJQv4 version licensed and running as a plugin or I think I do. I stopped the ole version service under Windows services.

Now I installed next the SJQV4userinterface by TMIRANDA. When this is installed though through the plugin does it automatically have the smarts to start creating .EDL files? I don't see any tasks running etc or do I need to create them. If so I am confused (yes I read the manual) and most things it states will be done for me automatically during the plugin install. So what do I need to do in order to get this to work?

Andy
Opps I found an error now, I reinstalled the client and see the following msg:

The task Client Sage-TV:23344 is not responding due to: ' connection refused: connect'; its been marked offline.

What is wrong here? Should I be using another port?

Thanks
Andy

Last edited by phunny; 12-13-2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Found an error
Old 12-13-2010, 09:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesquid View Post
Having a problem with a client running the ntservice and wonder if this wrapper.log entry has anything to do with it?
STATUS | wrapper | 2010/12/13 17:20:07 | Launching a JVM...
INFO | jvm 1 | 2010/12/13 17:20:07 | WrapperManager: Initializing...
INFO | jvm 1 | 2010/12/13 17:20:07 | LOG4J: Configured Logging for: sagex-api using file: sagex-api.log4j.properties
INFO | jvm 1 | 2010/12/13 17:20:07 | Embedded SageAPI is not functional. We are most likely running remotely.
INFO | jvm 1 | 2010/12/13 17:20:07 | Adding Remote Server: Master-PC
INFO | jvm 1 | 2010/12/13 17:20:08 | SJQv4 Agent (Task Client) v4.0.0.1325
INFO | jvm 1 | 2010/12/13 17:20:08 |
INFO | jvm 1 | 2010/12/13 17:20:08 | The following scripting engines are available in this task client:
INFO | jvm 1 | 2010/12/13 17:20:08 | Mozilla Rhino/1.6 release 2 [js]
INFO | jvm 1 | 2010/12/13 17:20:08 | Groovy Scripting Engine/2.0 [groovy]
INFO | jvm 1 | 2010/12/13 17:20:08 |
INFO | jvm 1 | 2010/12/13 17:21:01 | log4j:ERROR Attempted to append to closed appender named [sjqAgentApp].
INFO | jvm 1 | 2010/12/13 17:21:01 | log4j:ERROR Attempted to append to closed appender named [sjqAgentApp].
INFO | jvm 1 | 2010/12/13 17:21:02 | log4j:ERROR Attempted to append to closed appender named [sjqAgentApp].
INFO | jvm 1 | 2010/12/13 17:21:02 | log4j:ERROR Attempted to append to closed appender named [sjqAgentApp].
INFO | jvm 1 | 2010/12/13 17:21:31 | log4j:ERROR Attempted to append to closed appender named [sjqAgentApp].
I ran into this during development, thought it was fixed. Can't remember what I did to fix it. Will have to investigate tomorrow.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 12-13-2010, 09:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
If only I'd known that before I donated. Without a basic script that gets that most basic v3 function of 'scan directory and do stuff based on what's found' running it's useless to me, (not really, but I'm cranky).... I'd likely still have donated as I appreciate the outstanding support I've always gotten to my issues in the past, but it wouldn't be a priority....
If I could revoke a license and refund, I would. I'd refund the donation anyways other than I don't think it's fair for the rest who have also donated. Especially when you could have used the non-licensed version to setup a task for execution to see how tasks are queued in SJQv4. Sorry.

As to the basic v3 functionality missing - it's not missing, it's just not implemented. SJQv4 doesn't work like SJQv3, I made that clear in the tech preview thread, which also pointed to the various docs on the project site, which, in turn, explain in further detail how tasks are queued in SJQv4. That was a two week warning before the upgrade was published. From there, I've posted a few messages with bold text stating all the key changes in this release and already I've had buyer's remorse and people saying they didn't read before they upgraded. Besides writing personal emails, I don't know how else I can get people's attention.

As to the missing "old" functionality, there's no reason it can't be there. In all honesty, it's not too hard to actually implement a similar function set. My question is why would you want to process recordings in the old way? Isn't it better to attach tasks to events that create new media files and handle the events as desired? Even if I'm completely wrong and most people still want to do the "scan and queue" method - not a problem, you can do it, you just have to write the scripts for it.

For some things, you will need to scan the media files and decide what to do. This is how I decide what and when my recordings get archived to my NAS. I will be documenting that example in the near future. For those who can't wait, here's the complete Groovy script that I use (it's pretty short):

http://sagetv-addons.googlecode.com/...archive.groovy

You could use that script as the basis for a "periodic scan and process" type of script. Just strip out the part where I queue up my move recording task and replace it with whatever task you want to do to matching recordings. If running that script on a task client installed anywhere other than the SageTV server and you want to queue up tasks in the SJQ task queue in response to matches, you will need to install the sjq-common and Sage Object Metadata Factory (SOMF) plugins (or add those jars to the standalone task clients).

EDIT: Just to be clear, this whole "I'm maintaining the environment and leaving the scripting to the users" decision didn't just popup today. I discussed this in great detail during my design phase in this thread.

Last edited by Slugger; 12-13-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunny View Post
Slugger or anyone else if this is the wrong thread please tell me. I was running the SJQV3 version. I now have the SJQv4 version licensed and running as a plugin or I think I do. I stopped the ole version service under Windows services.

Now I installed next the SJQV4userinterface by TMIRANDA. When this is installed though through the plugin does it automatically have the smarts to start creating .EDL files? I don't see any tasks running etc or do I need to create them. If so I am confused (yes I read the manual) and most things it states will be done for me automatically during the plugin install. So what do I need to do in order to get this to work?

Andy

The task Client Sage-TV:23344 is not responding due to: ' connection refused: connect'; its been marked offline.

Thanks
Andy
One of two things:
  1. The task client isn't running on host 'Sage-TV'
  2. The Sage server can't resolve that host name. Can you ping 'Sage-TV' from your Sage server machine successfully? If not, then delete that task client and register it again by IP address instead of hostname. The use of hostnames for client registrations is discussed in the user guide.

Did you also install the task client plugin on host 'Sage-TV'? You must install the task client explicitly.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuszkie View Post
My Goal it to NOT write scripts.. Just edit them.
Then hopefully other users provide the scripts you need. Though not impossible, it would certainly be tough to exist solely on cut & paste. This is especially true at the beginning.

Quote:
The two things I see missing that were in the old SJQ is the ability to run all the recordings through SJQ and the file cleaner. I'll look at the other plugin you mentioned for the file cleaner equivalent..
I also think I'll miss the web interface.
The SAD plugin will delete artifacts as media files are deleted. It works quite well, I think it'll get the job done.

A post or two above this one I discuss how one can get the old "scan and react" processing of media files back into SJQv4.

Quote:
Can you post a way to go back to V3? Maybe throw the V3 plugin back in under a new name so it can co-exist with V4? the more I think about it...
I like the web interface better... I'm usually in front of a computer... I don't want to have to turn on the TV to find out how the queue is doing...
I cannot put v3 in the repository alongside v4. There would be class file duplication should someone accidentally (or otherwise) install v3 and v4 together. In most cases, the user would not realize they have installed both and I'd be stuck trying to figure out all the weirdness that happens when duplicate class files show up in the classpath. The other alternative would be to rewrite parts of v3 to allow it to coincide with a v4 install - this will never happen, I'm only one person. Finally, if you convinced SageTV to support anti -requisites with the plugin manager such that I could ensure that v3 and v4 were never installed together then I'd be more than willing to throw v3 back in the repository (with the assumption that the code would never be updated again). Unfortunately, Sage doesn't support this option.

As for the web UI, it's not completely out of the question that it could return. Certainly won't be anytime in the near future, but I could see it returning for a 4.1 type of release (maybe).

Quote:
I don't want to seem like I'm ungrateful for the continued development. If you would have done it this way from the start, then I wouldn't have known better. I'm probably in the minority here.. but so far I like V3 better and I'd like a way to go back.

Jim
Completely unsupported, don't ask me for help because I do not have time to debug any problems you may encounter, but here it goes:
  • Remove SJQv4 from the server; this includes all dependencies (sjq-common, etc.)
  • PM me asking for the plugin manifest file for SJQv3, I'll send it to you.
  • Install the received manifest in your SageTVPluginsDev.xml file, increasing the version from 3.1.0.930 to 100.0.0.0 (to ensure Sage sees it as the latest version).
  • Load plugin manager, it should now tell you SJQ v100.0.0.0 is now available.
  • Install it.
  • Reinstall/reconfig your (old) task client(s).

NOTE: If you do this and increase the version number to 100.0.0.0 then you'll never be notified about SJQv4 (or any future version) ever again. Unless, of course, I manage to release v100.0.0.1 or newer!

Last edited by Slugger; 12-14-2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Update instructions
Old 12-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
If I could revoke a license and refund, I would. I'd refund the donation anyways other than I don't think it's fair for the rest who have also donated. Especially when you could have used the non-licensed version to setup a task for execution to see how tasks are queued in SJQv4. Sorry.
No worries. My point isn't about the money. Just to point out the irony of sending money yesterday and receiving a 'not my priority' today. I'm not asking for my money back, or a script, I can live with out either,... but could use a little help getting from v3 to understanding v4 and getting it going. The documentation that I've been able to find is thin, so was unaware, for example, that I could start a pre-recorded file with a task via the recordedTV listing... that was helpful and will suit me fine..

I like the round wheel way better than the square one I used to have, and with your help I'll get used to it's workings... but I'll still miss the web interface (not that specific one, but A web interface)!

If I can get the second client up and running, that's probably as much as I need help with and will wonder off happily whistling.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

Andy

Thanks
Andy
This happened to me, restarting the sagetv service fixed it for me....
Old 12-14-2010, 07:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks I now have it in 'green' under the explicit IP address. But I don't see any tasks running. I was thought as along as the client is installed there was nothing else for me to do to create EDL files. What am I missing?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks I now have it in 'green' under the explicit IP address. But I don't see any tasks running. I was thought as along as the client is installed there was nothing else for me to do to create EDL files. What am I missing?
The instructions are unfortunately not all in one place, you're almost done, now go here:http://code.google.com/p/sagetv-addo...i/Sjq4Comskip1
Old 12-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
The SAD plugin will delete artifacts as media files are deleted. It works quite well, I think it'll get the job done.
Ok.. I'll try that.. I had modified the V6 STV to do this. I'm glad that I don't have to for V7. That will work stuff oon the fly.. I still have a bunch that will need cleaning up that the mpg's were already deleted...

Quote:
A post or two above this one I discuss how one can get the old "scan and react" processing of media files back into SJQv4.
I saw that and I'll look into that.. I have a ton of files that need comskipping as I lost the edl files in a V6 -> V7 Transition...

Quote:
I cannot put v3 in the repository alongside v4.
Bummer...
Quote:
Completely unsupported, don't ask me for help because I do not have time to debug any problems you may encounter, but here it goes:
Thanks! I might give it a try.. I also might try to script the functions.. or I'll wait for someone to do it.. but nice to know that there is a way.. I also can revert to a couple days ago where I had V3 working
Quote:
[*]Remove SJQv4 from the server; this includes all dependencies (sjq-common, etc.)
If I uninstall the plugin, it won't uninstall the dependencies? My guess is no..

Thanks for your help with this...

Jim
Old 12-14-2010, 09:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuszkie View Post
If I uninstall the plugin, it won't uninstall the dependencies? My guess is no..
The SageTV plugin manager does not automatically uninstall dependencies when you uninstall a plugin.

But I'm going to correct my v3 instructions... you don't need to manually download and unzip the old zip files. Just get the manifest from me and increase the version number in it to 100.0.0.0 and then install it as v100.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
No worries. My point isn't about the money. Just to point out the irony of sending money yesterday and receiving a 'not my priority' today.
Scripting not being a priority was discussed long before this release. I know you're not complaining, I'm just mentioning it for others that come reading...

Quote:
I like the round wheel way better than the square one I used to have, and with your help I'll get used to it's workings... but I'll still miss the web interface (not that specific one, but A web interface)!
This whole shift in functionality is different. I get that. I didn't think it was such a huge shift as some people are finding, but I shouldn't be surprised by the reaction. With that said, once everyone gets settled in I think people will find that this platform is 1000x more powerful and flexible than any previous version of SJQ.

Quote:
If I can get the second client up and running, that's probably as much as I need help with and will wonder off happily whistling.
Still not running? If not, let's get it running for you!
Old 12-14-2010, 09:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The SageTV plugin manager does not automatically uninstall dependencies when you uninstall a plugin.
I'm working on fixing that!

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Still not running? If not, let's get it running for you!
Well I've got a client machine using the service version and throwing up the errors I posted earlier. I've no idea what to do, I did remove the task from the client so the server could get on with the tasks. What info can I provide to help sort out the problem?
Old 12-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

How would one fire off a .bat file and feed it parameters with V4?

EDIT:

Also, How does one send cl options to the COMSKIP.EXE ?

Last edited by AlphaCrew; 12-14-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:15 PM
SageTVaholic

It might be too late for this, but I am happy with SJQ V3 and plan on staying there for the foreseeable future - it'd be nice if the new version had a different plugin-id so I don't have to be plagued by "there's a new version available" messages about V4. Plus then it should be possible to keep the final (stable-ish) version of V3 in the repository for re-installs.

If it's too late in the game to change it that's ok - I can live with the extra noise, but I do hope there is a way to reinstall V3 should I ever need to do so....

btl.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
For those who can't wait, here's the complete Groovy script that I use (it's pretty short):

http://sagetv-addons.googlecode.com/...archive.groovy

You could use that script as the basis for a "periodic scan and process" type of script.
Is it as simple as changing

clnt.addTask("MVMEDIA", Factory.getMap(mediaFile));
MediaFileAPI.SetMediaFileMetadata(mediaFile, SJQ4_QUEUED, "1");

to

clnt.addTask("COMSKIP", Factory.getMap(mediaFile));
MediaFileAPI.SetMediaFileMetadata(mediaFile, SJQ4_QUEUED, "1");

As well as changing the some of the other criterion... As I understand it... this will add all the media files (which match whatever criterion I set) as a task? such that if I had multiple clients they would be assigned out?

Jim
Old 12-14-2010, 12:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I cannot put v3 in the repository alongside v4. There would be class file duplication should someone accidentally (or otherwise) install v3 and v4 together
I don't think you should really worry about users installing both - especially if you can quickly determine that they are both there, then wash your hands of it until they only have one.

But if you can provide an old school V6 style zip file that V3 users can install and use (outside of the plugin system) that would probably do the trick - that would solve both of my issues (re-install ability and not getting 'Plugin Version Updates'). The first rule in responsible programming, especially when putting out a new version, is don't throw your existing users under the bus! Of course, paid users have more of a right to gripe about ending up under the bus, and since V3 was free I'm not griping, just throwing some options out there.

btl.