SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrx0213 View Post
I'd like to nominate Display Changer as a nifty software tool.

I'm working with a new HTPC built for SageClient and I've been experimenting with S3 sleep to get a more "instant on" feel. Often, the client will wake up and put the HDTV into its native resolution instead of 1280x720. After a couple of frustrating hours searching the web for quick and dirty solutions to either programatically load an Nvidia profile or change the resolution, I came across a link to Display Changer (ironically, in an Nvidia developer forum).

I'm still playing with it, but I've got a remote control button mapped to fire it off and in my initial test, it changed my display from native to 1280x720.

At first it seemed like it wasn't working, but I figured out you've got to supply ALL of the following arguments:

-monitor
-width
-height
-depth
-refresh

Once I got all of args worked out, it did the trick. Nice not to have to re-invent the wheel (painfully, in my case).

It's free for personal use.
I had this exact same issue and I tied all sorts of software online to try and fix it' I probably run into Display Changer as well (rings a bell). The best solution I found was the DVI Doctor mentioned in the HARDWARE section; super easy to install and never had a window-resizing issue again.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocKKer View Post
A few tools I use to prove out new hardware or expose faulty "in use" hardware -

IntelBurnTest - This is for for Intel CPU's, this is a front end for the Intel Linpack. This stresses the CPU, memory and many of the subsystems on the motherboard. Can also expose CPU heat issues, etc. Run it for 24 hours.

For AMD platforms I use Prime95 stress test. Run 24 hours.

Memtest386+ as already posted, run for 24 hours.

Manufacturer's HDD diagnostic tool's - Use this for new HDD's or in use HDD's, run quick test, long test and optionally write zeroes. Write zeroes is a destructive test so if this there is data on this HDD, back it up or be prepared to lose it forever. For new drives there is no need to partition and format it for any of these tests (writing zeroes destroys partitons and file systems anyway).

HD Tune - Use this in conjunction with the manufacturer's HDD diagnostic tool. I run the Benchmark and Error scan. Sometimes the Error scan shows slow or bad blocks, I have fixed them by running the manufacturer's write zeros to the HDD.

As a final step, I also run a video encode, this usually runs for multi-hours and really stresses your system so any system defects should show up. You can use Handbrake, BR-Rebuilder, MeGUI, etc.
Thanks for those suggestions. I have used Prime95 before in an attempt to exorcise my system. Something really frustrating that is happening to me now is that my system will pass all the test (RAM, Stress Test, Video Test) and still BSOD on me every once in a while. I tried reading the MiniDump files and they are not tremendously helpful in my case - I wish I could understand what is causing these random reboots. It may be a heat issue.

To complement your thread, I also posted BlueScreenViewer as a method to read those MiniDump files in a Windows environment.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

As a replacement for the FoxIt pdf reader I have found PDF Xchange viewer from Tracker Software - it's free as well, the only crapware I have found with it is it will install the Ask toolbar if you let it, just pay attention in the install and uncheck in the install dialog.

PDF Xchange viewer