SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Yes, the categories are from a select pre-defined list of categories built into sage (I believe they originated from the Zap2It info), and are not pre-defined 'tags' as you are discussing Plucky. Sticking to those would probably be the best option (for TV Explorer, at least) as you're pretty much assured they're gonna be there. I'm not sure how video's fall into those pre-defined categories, but the way Sage treats them ALMOST the same as tv makes me assume that they can receive the same category flags. I don't know if BMT attempts to assign them or not. Will have to check it out when I get home.

As for the filters, it's probably best bet would be to clone the way Malore stores the filters (relatively simple lines in the client.properties file). They look easy enough to parse that it shouldn't be terrible to implement.
Okay yes categories are generated for movies as well. (and I already group by them in the wall)

If I am not mistaken the screenshots you posted over for SMW show you being able to custom group is that only by category and these filters you speak off? I am working on taggin and my thoughts are you could do pretty much the same thing if I add in the option for categories on the search.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Yes, the categories are from a select pre-defined list of categories built into sage (I believe they originated from the Zap2It info), and are not pre-defined 'tags' as you are discussing Plucky. Sticking to those would probably be the best option (for TV Explorer, at least) as you're pretty much assured they're gonna be there. I'm not sure how video's fall into those pre-defined categories, but the way Sage treats them ALMOST the same as tv makes me assume that they can receive the same category flags. I don't know if BMT attempts to assign them or not. Will have to check it out when I get home.
thanks that what i thought... BMT does attempt to assign a category... dont know if this is retrivable via GetShowCategory or if i need to use the custom metadata field will check it out. And i agree the built in list is the way to go... i think custom tagging is a bit excessive for tv.. i believe sage gets the show category from the epg... so that would be Zap2it, right ?

Quote:
As for the filters, it's probably best bet would be to clone the way Malore stores the filters (relatively simple lines in the client.properties file). They look easy enough to parse that it shouldn't be terrible to implement.
ya i definitely will be taking a look at how he does them and then probably just clone that (at least in principle) i may still offload alot of the work a jar file... but thats because i think data manipulation is easy done there then inside studio....
Check out TVExplorer
Old 07-29-2009, 08:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharpe View Post
thanks that what i thought... BMT does attempt to assign a category... dont know if this is retrivable via GetShowCategory or if i need to use the custom metadata field will check it out. And i agree the built in list is the way to go... i think custom tagging is a bit excessive for tv.. i believe sage gets the show category from the epg... so that would be Zap2it, right ?

ya i definitely will be taking a look at how he does them and then probably just clone that (at least in principle) i may still offload alot of the work a jar file... but thats because i think data manipulation is easy done there then inside studio....
Yes getshowcategory returns the values from bmt that are retrieved there is also getshowsubcategory. I have a scrapper in the jar when you need to to remove film and group together and remove nulls from subcategory. (as there are allot of times not subcategories.) this way action film and action are grouped together.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
Yes getshowcategory returns the values from bmt that are retrieved there is also getshowsubcategory. I have a scrapper in the jar when you need to to remove film and group together and remove nulls from subcategory. (as there are allot of times not subcategories.) this way action film and action are grouped together.
right.... cool
Check out TVExplorer
Old 07-29-2009, 11:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I think that would make the most sense to have it be the same set of buttons... FF/RW or FF2/RR2... but have them only be active when you are in each panel... i also think once i have the FF/RR working to switch filter sets then i agree with you that the best place for the filter sets is across the top... and the ff/rr icons do help make it clearer... good touch
Personally, I think this might be a bad idea (the ff/rw working only if that pane is selected). I think I'd prefer 'global' buttons like that (i.e. performing a function on something OTHER than the selected item) to work no matter what is selected. If that makes any sense. That's why I recommended different commands for each function. Think of it as a user focus issue. In my example screenhack, if you decided you wanted to change while filter set to use, you would look up to the top left at the filter tabs, and press skip left or skip right (or ff2/rw2, whatever). You would not be looking down at the panes themselves, so you would not be paying attention to whether you have a group or an episode selected. Ends up, it was an episode, and you just changed season filter, instead... not intuitive.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-29-2009, 11:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Personally, I think this might be a bad idea (the ff/rw working only if that pane is selected). I think I'd prefer 'global' buttons like that (i.e. performing a function on something OTHER than the selected item) to work no matter what is selected. If that makes any sense. That's why I recommended different commands for each function. Think of it as a user focus issue. In my example screenhack, if you decided you wanted to change while filter set to use, you would look up to the top left at the filter tabs, and press skip left or skip right (or ff2/rw2, whatever). You would not be looking down at the panes themselves, so you would not be paying attention to whether you have a group or an episode selected. Ends up, it was an episode, and you just changed season filter, instead... not intuitive.

agree on this on needs to be a universal listener
Old 07-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
ok you convinced me
Check out TVExplorer
Old 07-29-2009, 01:57 PM
SageTVaholic

I like the idea of hotkeys for modifying the filters quickly, but it still needs easily accessible vis the d-pad because that's the only way my GF, and I imagine most significant others, would ever use them.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
I like the idea of hotkeys for modifying the filters quickly, but it still needs easily accessible vis the d-pad because that's the only way my GF, and I imagine most significant others, would ever use them.
true... illl have to think about a layout that is d-pad friendly (still have the epfilter up top, but if you're in the episode list, and you arrow right the focus would change to the epfilter list up top or is that confusing)?
Check out TVExplorer
Old 07-29-2009, 03:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
true... illl have to think about a layout that is d-pad friendly (still have the epfilter up top, but if you're in the episode list, and you arrow right the focus would change to the epfilter list up top or is that confusing)?
Out of curiosity, what's your reasoning for wanting to having the filter list above/below the episode list? The reason I'm pushing for the right side is...
  • Its always one click away
  • Navigating to the right and having the list be to the right makes navigational sense
  • There's plenty of left over horizontal space since the episode titles will hardly ever be that long but vertical space is going to be at a premium.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what's your reasoning for wanting to having the filter list above/below the episode list? The reason I'm pushing for the right side is...
mainly i think it will look better... but ill give it a go and see what it looks like... where would you put the filtersets that fuzzy has above the groups on the left or on the right between the group and episode list? if we go vertical im thinking on the left.
Check out TVExplorer
Old 07-29-2009, 03:55 PM
SageTVaholic

yeah, i guess if it has to be horizontal, then the outside extremes would be preferred (filters to left of groups, seasons to right of episodes... still, it'd have to be vertical text or something to work well visually. I still prefer the tabs. everyone knows tabs.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
  • Its always one click away
  • Navigating to the right and having the list be to the right makes navigational sense
  • There's plenty of left over horizontal space since the episode titles will hardly ever be that long but vertical space is going to be at a premium.
Just my 2 cents..... I've always disliked the filter on the top because you need to scroll up to get there. On the side is definitely faster acting but does take premium real estate. How about a flyout menu (pullout) on the right.... it's still one click away and gets hidden when not in use. I created a flyout stvi for the main menu which I find rather useful and was simply to put together. Flyouts are also used extensively in xbmc.

BTW - looks like a great import! This was the main reason I never stayed with sagemc and always reverted back to the default. With this import I'm tempted to give it another go.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
yeah, i guess if it has to be horizontal, then the outside extremes would be preferred (filters to left of groups, seasons to right of episodes... still, it'd have to be vertical text or something to work well visually. I still prefer the tabs. everyone knows tabs.
Yeah, the group filters have the potential have long text so stacking them vertically just won't work very well, but the episode filters are just numbers (years #,season #,"All") so they'll stack vertically very well.

I'm trying to prototype a good looking version of the episode filters on the right side but studio is being difficult

Edit: Finally got it going, even managed to catch what would be a problem episode title (also zero padded the episode numbers cause it was bugging me ).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg subtle2.jpg (137.7 KB, 502 views)

Last edited by evilpenguin; 07-29-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Sage Icon

ep, looking good .. i think i like wado's with a flyout tab... and then the tab could display some meaningful text like what the sort type is and what the current filter is.. then fly out to be full with a right listener.... likewise with the group filter...
Check out TVExplorer
Old 07-29-2009, 07:30 PM
SageTVaholic

okay I'll throw my hour into a muckup (ignore the right)

But I want some banner growth and how about fake banners for those without banners

this was done really quick but you get the general idea

mockup1

the fake banners need more work but you get the idea

Last edited by PLUCKYHD; 07-29-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Sage Icon

had some time tonight to play with this new layout... thoughts... still need to figure in the filtergroups, and episodefilter somewhere.. my current thinking is flyouts when you nav right in the episode panel, and left in the group panel (with soemthing constant somewhere telling you your current settings)
its still very very rough so not ready for public consumption yet.. but its getting there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TVE_mockup.jpg (142.4 KB, 515 views)
Check out TVExplorer
Old 07-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
But I want some banner growth and how about fake banners for those without banners
ill need to dig into your SMW or you can give me some pointers on how to do that
Check out TVExplorer
Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Sage Icon

Your new layout looks nice, but I'd like more room for the information about the show. In this shot it looks kind of cramped.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hey razrsharpe. In the .properties file you have:
FanartLoadDelay
and
LoadFanartDelay
The one tied to the UI isn't the one being used.
Currently using SageTV Media Center Server on Windows 7, SageTV Client as an HTPC on Windows 7, and an HD Theater HD200. The server controls 3 Motorola DCH-3200 cable boxes and 3 Hauppauge HD-PVRs (all Rev F1) with HD audio and changes channels via firewire WITH NO LOCKUPS. It's awesome.
4 Steps to Perfect Stutter Free Playback for SageTV
Quick Guide: How to Bitstream Audio in Windows 7