SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV Canada
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Canada SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from Canada - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in Canada.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:46 AM
Sage User

Hey guys sorry about not replying, I don't come here often as I'm a VMC user.

1st off, Yes, in VMC you still need a tuner card, and there is No live TV (in HD anyway still get SD live) There is huge work going on to eliminate these two issues and there is even some test beta software that is working quite well.

for more info on the progress that is being made look here

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/6...px?PageIndex=1

and here

http://www.hostmybb.com/phpbb/absentlink.html

Anyway... thats on the VMC side...

I am on Shaw cable with DCT 6200's, and I have no r5000 mod (they don't mod boxes with firewire ports at NEXTCOM)

As far as 5C in Vancouver area, I have all channels and there is still, to this day, absolutely, positively NO 5C in Vancouver on Shaw.... at least not in my area. For those who are saying there is then I sugesst to you that you are misdiagnosing a different problem with your set up. I have never had a failed channel change nor a failed recording.... period.

Now, although my firewire is DEAD reliable in terms of recordings and channel changes, I am using VMC and not sage so I have no sage related advise. I tried Sage some time ago just for the day and I had the firewire working but it was buggy. Now granted, I did not put alot of time into it.

In terms of a post I used to get set up in VMC with firewire, there really wasn't one. I started with fire wire and media center about five years ago and have just sort of followed along. If you follow tim moore's instructions you should have no problems at all.

I will check back more often.

-Chris
Old 10-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Sage User

Sadly, Shaw Calgary appears to be adding 5C in here and there. NFL Network was always encrypted as long as I've been doing this, but now TSNHD is as well (curiously, TSNHD2 is still clear). No more MNF in HD! Everything else I've got is still in the clear though, including all the premium HD channels.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:59 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Sadly, Shaw Calgary appears to be adding 5C in here and there. NFL Network was always encrypted as long as I've been doing this, but now TSNHD is as well (curiously, TSNHD2 is still clear). No more MNF in HD! Everything else I've got is still in the clear though, including all the premium HD channels.
Yip looks like the same in Vancouver.... still have TSNHD2 in the clear but no more TSNHD.... like you everything else is still clear.

-Chris
Old 11-15-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_stalker View Post
Yip looks like the same in Vancouver.... still have TSNHD2 in the clear but no more TSNHD.... like you everything else is still clear.

-Chris
I'm in downtown Vancouver and have:

5C'd all the time:
All SD channels
The Frame HD
The Score HD

5C'd sometimes:
TSNHD
TSN2HD
AMC HD

I seem to recall some other channels (Movie Central HD, HBO Canada HD) may have been 5C'd occassionally as well.

I capture using S-Video for the 5C'd channels.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:53 PM

Anyone using Novus and 5c?

Hello, Anyone know how many channels are 5c encrypted on Novus in Vancouver Downtown?

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Sage User

All channels are 5C free with the exception of 101 AETVHD
Old 11-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulY View Post
I'm in downtown Vancouver and have:

5C'd all the time:
All SD channels
The Frame HD
The Score HD

5C'd sometimes:
TSNHD
TSN2HD
AMC HD

I seem to recall some other channels (Movie Central HD, HBO Canada HD) may have been 5C'd occassionally as well.

I capture using S-Video for the 5C'd channels.
WOW!!! Sorry to hear that. I'm out in maple ridge, but I only recently moved from North BBy and there was no difference for me. I have Just TSN HD2 5C'd, but it's all the time, where for you it's only sometimes. Also none of my SD channels are or any of the other channels you mentioned are 5C out here. I wonder why??? Makes me nervous to hear that!
Old 11-24-2009, 02:07 AM

Seems like a bunch of additional channels just got 5C'd for me

All SD channels
201 CBS Seattle HD (KIRO-HD)
204 PBS Seattle HD (KCTS-HD)
205 ABC Detroit HD (WXYZ-HD)
212 TSN HD
213 TSN2 HD
225 AMC HD
230 The Frame HD
232 The Score HD

Really annoying as it left me wondering for a couple of weeks when shows weren't recording if something was wrong with Sage, until I re-checked all the channels using the diagnostic mode on my Motorola DCT6416 again.

One of the primary reasons I'm using Sage is because I can watch live tv over firewire in HD; at this rate, I'm contemplating just switching back to VMC and capturing through S-video.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:34 AM
Sage User

If it gets that bad out in Van I am going to probably try the R5000 modded motorola cable boxes.... I am still on VMC, waiting for an aparent app thats gonna enable live TV over firewire..... waiting and waiting....
Old 05-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Meant to post this awhile back, but Shaw has since un-encrypted TSNHD. All my go-to channels are in the clear in HD (200-220 or so). I don't have the movie channels so I can't comment on those but all the sports and premium HD channels (Discover, Natl Geo & the like) are still working.

Even PPVs like UFC are in the clear
Old 07-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Sage User

Shaw in Surrey

I have just built a new machine for a friend that is using Sage and they have Shaw.

The old video capture card is no longer compatible and I notice some people on here have got firewire working.

They are running Sage V7.1 and a Win 7 64bit.

Can anyone post instructions to set up Shaw firewire?

It will save looking for a newer capture card. They are only SD TV watchers at this time.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beddows View Post
I have just built a new machine for a friend that is using Sage and they have Shaw.

The old video capture card is no longer compatible and I notice some people on here have got firewire working.

They are running Sage V7.1 and a Win 7 64bit.

Can anyone post instructions to set up Shaw firewire?

It will save looking for a newer capture card. They are only SD TV watchers at this time.
The FireWire drivers don't work on 64 bit OSes - did you want FireWire to capture video or just for changing channels? You will want to get a video capture card that supports S-video input and you use that to connect to your cable box.

The other option is to get an HD-PVR and use that to capture s-video or HD via component.

If they only watch network shows then an easy option is to go OTA, assuming that you have OTA available. That is a better option here in Trawna than in the west due to the proximity to lots of Canadian stations plus Buffalo.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:14 PM
Sage User

I was hoping to capture video as well as change channels.

I want to stay 64bit. I don't mind installing a Colossus card or usb capture device. I was just looking for a reliable channel changing option without going down the usbrt path.

Prior to the upgrade, they had a PVR500 card grabbing channels 2-28. (Shaw cable removed all analogue above 28 last year) The PVR500 is no longer compatible so I thought I would try to set them up with a STB solution rather than buy another dual capture card knowing that the days of the remaining analogue cable are numbered.

We only get 7 OTA stations here and 3 are in French.

Does anyone know if I can use firewire to change channels on Shaw boxes with a 64bit system and if so what are my connections and how is it set up?
Old 07-02-2014, 06:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beddows View Post
Does anyone know if I can use firewire to change channels on Shaw boxes with a 64bit system and if so what are my connections and how is it set up?
The answer is no - if you go 64 bit then there are no firewire drivers period. The USBUIRT isn't a bad option although they are $50 or so, but they can control multiple zones so you can use it to control multiple cable boxes.

See this thread from three years ago: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55494