SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-08-2021, 01:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
As I've posted in the Schedules Direct EPG topic, the real issue here are the extremely large show images that the EPG grabber is getting, instead of the smaller ones that SD could provide. I'm asking there if anyone is interested in looking at the SD EPG grabber code.

Alternatively: My SageTV PC is getting older and slows down while displaying show images anyway. Not sure if anyone else has this problem, but I find that if I play video on the schedule or recordings menus instead of displaying the show images, response is greatly improved.

I'm starting to feel like I have no interest in seeing show images and am debating adding the ability to turn such images off in the UI. Am I the only one interested in this kind of solution to the very large images, potential crash issues, and UI slowdowns?

Maybe if I changed to a more modern PC and OS, I wouldn't have this issue, but... I can't find a shrug emoji. Oh well.

Andy
No, you’re not alone. Nice seeing a post from you again too
If I were a coder, I’d help, but sadly I am not. Maybe we should all just pay Josh a yearly fee...
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 05-08-2021, 02:09 PM
Administrator

I'm still here & use SageTV; I just don't post much.
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I stopped displaying images a while ago. I have no images in the guide and also no thumbnails.
I setup a thumbnail symlink... and Sage no longer uses thumbnails.or channels Icons.[/IMG]
I believe I'll actually start work on this: there will be new options to disable the display of thumbnails/art for shows and for whether to display channel logos. I'll probably leave all those items on the Detailed Info screens, since I believe that is where the info is most useful and it isn't where lots of shows are displayed while scrolling through various lists.
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:08 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I believe I'll actually start work on this: there will be new options to disable the display of thumbnails/art for shows and for whether to display channel logos. I'll probably leave all those items on the Detailed Info screens, since I believe that is where the info is most useful and it isn't where lots of shows are displayed while scrolling through various lists.
Wow, excellent, thanks in advance! Are you thinking that you will be putting logic in there to select some of the smaller thumbnails/artwork, or are you going to stick with just enabling/disabling?
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 05-09-2021, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Getting the smaller art is part of the SD EPG grabber discussion & should hopefully be done even if these new settings are not used by anyone. I just don't know who might make those art size changes.

Edit: and. hah! I don't think I've opened Studio since the last changes I made in August 2017, so I'm almost surprised I can still find my way around it.

Edit 2: as I figured, the program guide already has an option to include the logos.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I stopped displaying images a while ago. I have no images in the guide and also no thumbnails.
I setup a thumbnail symlink... and Sage no longer uses thumbnails.or channels Icons.
BTW: There is an existing option to turn off logos in the guide. If you change that, the channel name will take up the entire space instead of using just the right half, as shown in your above pic.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
BTW: There is an existing option to turn off logos in the guide. If you change that, the channel name will take up the entire space instead of using just the right half, as shown in your above pic.
Thanks found it.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Here is a test STV with the options to not display the thumbs/art and logos on screen with lists of airings (program guide, recordings, schedule, and such).

I did not remove the art from the Detailed Info type menus because a delay loading there seems OK to me, since those menus are not loaded quickly one right after the other & it seems like art is desired there. Of course, this means it isn't a solution to crashing the extender w/o the updated jar because the super large images could still be shown on such menus.

If anyone tries it, please let me know if there are issues. I'll use it for a bit before adding it to github.

Edit: Forgot to say, the new options are towards the bottom of Detailed Setup -> Customize.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SageTV7_NoThumbOption.zip (1.57 MB, 235 views)
Old 05-09-2021, 03:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Getting the smaller art is part of the SD EPG grabber discussion & should hopefully be done even if these new settings are not used by anyone. I just don't know who might make those art size changes.

Edit: and. hah! I don't think I've opened Studio since the last changes I made in August 2017, so I'm almost surprised I can still find my way around it.

Edit 2: as I figured, the program guide already has an option to include the logos.
I could even make the changes to the code if I knew functionally what needs to happen. Is it a matter of shifting from med/large to small/med?
Old 05-09-2021, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
I could even make the changes to the code if I knew functionally what needs to happen. Is it a matter of shifting from med/large to small/med?
Not sure. As we talked about in the other topic, we might want to check actual image sizes. I'll go post there again so we can talk about it.
Old 02-16-2023, 04:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
I fixed this now and uploaded the fix to GitHub.

There's also another change I did which will help reduce the size of the database a little bit (and have a minor effect on Intelligent Recording, which I think will bother nobody).

HOWEVER, if you REALLY want to reduce your database usage there's another thing you can do. Mine was getting way too large (I have the oldest database as you'd expect, it's over 18 years old...has data from December 2002 in it when I first wrote SageTV)...my RAM usage was generally about 1GB, and I've almost cut it in half now.

If you set this in Sage.properties:
wizard/retain_airings_from_completed_recordings=false
wizard/last_maintenance=0

and you have a really old DB, that'll clean out LOTS of things. But you'll then want to put that first one back to true after it loads it and does the daily maintenance (which it'll do right after startup...but it may take awhile to complete). What that'll do is remove all the Airings from the database that were for recordings you made at one point in time but it no longer has....normally, those are useful if you move files around so SageTV won't delete the metadata for those files if they aren't in the right place or other things went wrong. But after years, it'll just be storing tons of data it doesn't really need at all.

My 50% reduction was based on the new JAR with the Wasted cleanup change along with setting the above property once. My system has limited RAM and I didn't feel like building a new one, so this was an easy way to make it fast again w/out losing my 18 years of history.
I'm going to try this. My recording schedule doesn't update unless I restart Sage. I have a huge WIZ.BIN and I see "Clean the database!" in my log. My installation is very old like yours. Wiz.bin is 1.6 gigs! (1,649,604k
ASRock B450M Pro4 AM4 MB, Ryzen 5 2600 3.4ghz, Crucial Ballistix Gaming 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200, EVGA GT 1030SC, WD Black NVMe SSD 250GB, 1x WD120EFAX 12TB, 1x WD80EFAX 8TB, 1x WDBH2D0040HNC 4TB, USB-UIRT, Colossus 2, WinTV-DualHD USB, Windows 11 64bit
Old 02-19-2023, 04:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction View Post
I'm going to try this. My recording schedule doesn't update unless I restart Sage. I have a huge WIZ.BIN and I see "Clean the database!" in my log. My installation is very old like yours. Wiz.bin is 1.6 gigs! (1,649,604k
Would be interested in hearing your experience with this if it reduced the Wiz.bin for you and the RAM usage.
Old 02-19-2023, 08:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction View Post
I know there are people out there with pretty big WIZ.BIN files. I have two servers running with WIZ.BIN's that are over 15 years old (my join date was back in 2004 here). They go back to some of the early versions of SageTV naturaly with conversions as WIZ.BIN format changes, etc. But I've never deleted them and started fresh at any time since at least 2004.

Anyway, my main machine's WIZ.BIN (newest hardware that's still over 10 year old) is about 145k and my backup machine (old original server installation) is about 130k.

I have over 4TB capacity on each machine with about 2TB of current or saved/archived recordings..

I have 8 tuners on my main machine and 6 on my old server. Probably 3-4 getting used regularly on both machines during prime time

I've had no issues with EPG updates using Schedules Direct.
Old 02-20-2023, 03:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
I fixed this now and uploaded the fix to GitHub.

There's also another change I did which will help reduce the size of the database a little bit (and have a minor effect on Intelligent Recording, which I think will bother nobody).

HOWEVER, if you REALLY want to reduce your database usage there's another thing you can do. Mine was getting way too large (I have the oldest database as you'd expect, it's over 18 years old...has data from December 2002 in it when I first wrote SageTV)...my RAM usage was generally about 1GB, and I've almost cut it in half now.

If you set this in Sage.properties:
wizard/retain_airings_from_completed_recordings=false
wizard/last_maintenance=0
What, exactly, is cleared out here? The description references old airings, but what does it do with old recordings that I may or may not have watched and may or may not have deleted? Just want to make sure I don't break anything useful by changing this setting.

I've been having ongoing issues with older recordings having their metadata associated with shows occurring in the future, or with "no data," past or future. Is it possible that doing this cleanup would prevent future occurrences? My Wiz.bin is about 75mb (started in 2009).

I know this is an old thread, so I hope someone can still answer.
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.

Last edited by VCRUser; 02-20-2023 at 04:45 AM. Reason: close-quote missing
Old 03-06-2023, 05:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
Would be interested in hearing your experience with this if it reduced the Wiz.bin for you and the RAM usage.
Sage is using 6259 megs, Wiz.bin didn't shrink much.
ASRock B450M Pro4 AM4 MB, Ryzen 5 2600 3.4ghz, Crucial Ballistix Gaming 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200, EVGA GT 1030SC, WD Black NVMe SSD 250GB, 1x WD120EFAX 12TB, 1x WD80EFAX 8TB, 1x WDBH2D0040HNC 4TB, USB-UIRT, Colossus 2, WinTV-DualHD USB, Windows 11 64bit
Old 04-15-2023, 02:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm thinking of trying this to fix some of my database issues, but where is the .jar file being referenced? I assume I need to replace one JAR with another one (and in what location?) as well as make the .properties changes described?
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.